Page 42 of 69 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Quote Originally Posted by Josep_Caselles View Post
    oh, thank's a lot for answering that quick!

ok, then I will try to delete my stuff partition and make it an extended one with logical partitions. But then, Will I be able to migrate mi wubi linux to those logical partitions [system files and swap]? Is there any problem with having an OS in a logical partition? and the bootloader,what happens with it?

thank you! I will try it anyway, I would tell you if something goes wrong!

PS When you finally migrate the wubi, you get exactly the same as if you would install the ubuntu in the partition for the first time [I mean, the normal way, not wubi], or it still has some diferences that make it worse?
    You can boot linux from a logical partition. That's not an issue. The recommended method is to install the grub2 bootloader. This works well except in some circumstances (when certain windows programs use parts of the boot track for hiding data).

Wubi Ubuntu is identical to a normal install (except for the part that allows you to run from a loop device). So the migrated install is the same as a fresh install (except you keep your data/programs/customizations).

PS you don't actually migrate swap. You're just creating a new swap partition.

Beans

uau, thank you a lot, now I have almost everything clear! Only one last thing: I've tried to run it, an after a few problems I almost manage to make it work, but at the last time it says my sda6 partition is not a swap partition. Should I format it as a swap partition? [I've found a very clear tutorial]

thank you very much! my last question, really!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

uau, thank you a lot, now I have almost everything clear! Only one last thing: I've tried to run it, an after a few problems I almost manage to make it work, but at the last time it says my sda6 partition is not a swap partition. Should I format it as a swap partition? [I've found a very clear tutorial]

thank you very much! my last question, really!
    Yes. The current script actually checks for a swap partition (it should just check the partition type - that will eventually be fixed when I get around to it). If you use Gparted to change it to a swap partition, that will do it. The target partition for the migration should also be type "83 - linux". If you set this as "ext4" in gparted it will do that for you as well.

Then when you run:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    it will look similar to the picture here: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xjnIR-P8_I.../s640/hmp4.png

Beans

Done! You really make this easy! It's fantastic to have people like you taking care of the noobs like me, it really make me think about getting completely rid of windows forever! this is what makes the diference.

thank's a lot! Now works fine!

Beans

So, I am new to this whole process as well, and so might be a little pedantic about this as I want to understand what's going on.

When I look in Ubuntu's disk utility I see I have a 31 GB root partition /dev/loop0, and then on the main hard disk I have a bunch of stuff: 1.6 GB /dev/sda1, 260 GB mounted at /host and called /dev/sda2, a 226 GB partition that is simply labelled as "free" whose device name is /dev/sda, and then 12 GB called /dev/sda4.

Ok, so two questions given this. First, from where exactly is wubi running? That is, should I be making partitions in /dev/sda or /dev/sda2... or should I be messing around with the /dev/loop0? I'm sorry if this question simply doesn't make any sense.

Second, I am under the impression that I need logical partitions to do this migration correctly, but when I partition this stuff up, I never seem to get a /dev/sda5, for example... so my question is does that matter? Can I just divide /dev/sda into, say, an 8 gb piece for swap and whatever's left for home and root and then just run this script simply giving it their names?

Anyway, thanks for putting this info up... this forum is awesome!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Done! You really make this easy! It's fantastic to have people like you taking care of the noobs like me, it really make me think about getting completely rid of windows forever! this is what makes the diference.

thank's a lot! Now works fine!
    Great! You're welcome

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jonnystatts View Post
    So, I am new to this whole process as well, and so might be a little pedantic about this as I want to understand what's going on.

When I look in Ubuntu's disk utility I see I have a 31 GB root partition /dev/loop0, and then on the main hard disk I have a bunch of stuff: 1.6 GB /dev/sda1, 260 GB mounted at /host and called /dev/sda2, a 226 GB partition that is simply labelled as "free" whose device name is /dev/sda, and then 12 GB called /dev/sda4.

Ok, so two questions given this. First, from where exactly is wubi running? That is, should I be making partitions in /dev/sda or /dev/sda2... or should I be messing around with the /dev/loop0? I'm sorry if this question simply doesn't make any sense.

Second, I am under the impression that I need logical partitions to do this migration correctly, but when I partition this stuff up, I never seem to get a /dev/sda5, for example... so my question is does that matter? Can I just divide /dev/sda into, say, an 8 gb piece for swap and whatever's left for home and root and then just run this script simply giving it their names?

Anyway, thanks for putting this info up... this forum is awesome!
    1. /dev/loop0 is a virtual partition - don't make any changes to it.
    2. The script doesn't require logical partitions to migrate to. But in your specific case you have used 3 primary partitions so if you want to create more than one (you get max 4 primary partitions), you need to first create an extended partition in that free space and then the logicals.

You can use GParted. It's available on the Ubuntu CD (live environment) or from Wubi you can install it: from software centre enter gparted in the search box and select "Gnome partition editor" or from command line:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gparted
    GParted will show that "free space" as unallocated. You can create an extended partition in that space (/dev/sda3). Then you can create logical partitions within that.

Unfortunately the script does not permit you to migrate your /home to a separate partition. This feature might be available in the future, but you could do this manually after the migration.

If you have any other questions - fire away. I'm going to be out most of the day... but I'll answer when I can.
    Last edited by bcbc; July 2nd, 2011 at 06:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The Wubi migration Howto avoids discussing how to partition - which would take another entire howto. I've also avoided recommending a particular guide - many are either too old or too technical. However here is a guide that is recent (written for 10.10) and seems to be very well written: http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p22.html

It shows how to manually partition from a live CD using GParted - and also to install to those partitions. You can skip the installation part if you're migrating since the Wubi migration script takes care of that.

Beans

So I was trying to use this to migrate to the full version in my Acer netbook. This is when I discovered I only have--
    /dev/sda1
    /dev/sda2
    /dev/sda3

So I tried doing what the guy on page 2 did, but it didn't work either. It would show errors along the lines of having to dismount partitions and partitions being not empty, and that it was not a swap partition.

Any advice?
    I'm a newbie to bash.
    >:U

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ProffesorT View Post
    So I was trying to use this to migrate to the full version in my Acer netbook. This is when I discovered I only have--
    /dev/sda1
    /dev/sda2
    /dev/sda3

So I tried doing what the guy on page 2 did, but it didn't work either. It would show errors along the lines of having to dismount partitions and partitions being not empty, and that it was not a swap partition.

Any advice?
    I'm a newbie to bash.
    >:U
    You need to prepare partitions for the migration. The script will not allow you to migrate to a mounted partition and it will not allow migration to a non-empty partition. If you want the migration script to setup a swap partition, it requires that the partition is already set up as swap.

What you ideally will have for the migration are two partitions, one ext4 partition for / (root) and one swap partition for swap. You can prepare these using GParted. Please refer to this on how to partition manually.

Page 42 of 69 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast