Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: So...I can't use the terminal at my friends house...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: So...I can't use the terminal at my friends house...

Quote Originally Posted by Windows Nerd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xpod View Post
    Reminds me a little of this nonsense. Funny of course, but nonsense all the same.
    Not the first time I have seen that story...god that person has their head in the fog about the computer world.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html
    BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War.
    I'm pretty sure this is a joke. Nonetheless, I feel sorry for any Linux-using kids who's parents have read that article.

Beans

I bet Linus has seen that, I wonder what he thought....
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    Misson successful comrades.
    (No not really.)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

heh, I don't even use X if I don't need to, I've even got the white on black that seems to scare people. Wonder what he'd think if I went to a site in links (terminal browser)
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by betrunkenaffe View Post
    Clearly you misspoke and meant you invented the patent pending the idea!
    Pat Pending is my cousin.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnomeuser View Post
    Ignorance is best met with education not respect.
    On the other hand, it can go better if you can manage both. As others have commented, it's not the OP's house.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Legendary_Bibo View Post
    My friend says it's probably because he was in the airforce, but he never did any military operations, he just worked on jet engines so I don't know why he's so paranoid.
    This is just a guess, but maybe it's an unintended consequence of being in a place where there might be jet fuel and other stuff that has fumes.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    I bet Linus has seen that, I wonder what he thought....

(No not really.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    This is just a guess, but maybe it's an unintended consequence of being in a place where there might be jet fuel and other stuff that has fumes.
    Jet fumes are good for you. Made me the man I am today!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeuser View Post
    Ignorance is best met with education not respect.

I would offer to teach him about computers, since he seems to care about security but is misguided about it's implementation that seems to be a good place to start.

Ubuntu offers him encryption for his personal files to keep them safe, no need for an anti-virus, there are no network facing services exposed by default, users are limited in what they can do. Finally it is all open which has a proven positive effect on security and response time to problems.
    but he was in another...oh you know what, kiwi already said it, but i can see where people are either not going to read it or they're going to read it and ignore it entirely...

Quote Originally Posted by evermooingcow View Post
    Well yes. but I think you're missing the point - the point that this guy's response would not be something we would have expected in the least from simply opening a terminal and therefore couldn't have known to avoid.

My laptop runs a tiling desktop and also boots without launching X. If this guy hypothetically took interest in my system I suppose I would have been kicked out the moment I turned it on.
    but the OP was in another person's hou- see, I knew it. completely ignored what Kiwi said about being in another person's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronon View Post
    It was not his PC and it wasn't connected to his network.
    I don't know how more clearly to say this: if someone is in *my house* and I tell the person to do something within reason, I expect him to either do it or leave.

@OP: Bottom line, you acted like a smart-aleck in someone else's house and got called out on it. Serves you right for doing what you did despite knowing how your friend's dad is about computers and networks in general. Maybe next time you'll err on the side of caution.
    Last edited by Tristam Green; June 28th, 2010 at 01:24 PM.
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Tristam Green View Post
    but he was in another...oh you know what, kiwi already said it, but i can see where people are either not going to read it or they're going to read it and ignore it entirely...

but the OP was in another person's hou- see, I knew it. completely ignored what Kiwi said about being in another person's house.

I don't know how more clearly to say this: if someone is in *my house* and I tell the person to do something within reason, I expect him to either do it or leave.

@OP: Bottom line, you acted like a smart-aleck in someone else's house and got called out on it. Serves you right for doing what you did despite knowing how your friend's dad is about computers and networks in general. Maybe next time you'll err on the side of caution.
    Oh you...and your logic...

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary_Bibo View Post
    This guy literally has nothing on his only computer. Not even a single text document.
    I knew someone like this. They had their computer locked in a closet, did not have it connected to the Internet, wouldn't let anyone touch it and only turned it on to type something up then print it. Never kept anything on it. Thought that even with these "precautions", their computer was vulnerable to all kinds of viruses and such.

Oh, and the people who think 'education' would help - nope. Paranoia is a psychological disorder and no amount of education will help. Medication on the other hand...
    This is a signature. It is original.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Jet fumes are good for you. Made me the man I am today!

point made

Beans

Education would be of an advantage here, hmmm yes.

If someone acted like that in my home I would educate them on how a Laptop can be used as a Frisbee as the owner of said IBM Compatible Frisbee was horizontally ejected from my home.
    This account is not active.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast