Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So...I can't use the terminal at my friends house...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: So...I can't use the terminal at my friends house...

Sounds like the guy should unplug it and throw it away if hes that Paranoid Ive done so damn many reinstalls when I had windows they'd get mussed up sometimes its just easyer to reinstall once its been compromised you can never be too sure!Its nice to have everything backed up to an external drive I never worry anymore.
    This is Linux. It gives you a cute mascot and enough rope to hang yourself!

Beans
    Hidden!

should have told him you work for the cia and if he knows what's good for him to sit down before the sniper in the helicopter 5 miles away gives him a "what for".

Beans

I have a really bad data loss story!

I was home sick from work one day a few years back, so I decided to reinstall to OpenSUSE 10.3. I was talking to a friend and had a big headache, and I completely neglected to remember you have to manually select partitioning as a step. It decided to wipe my data drive to install OpenSUSE and kept my Ubuntu I wanted to remove. XD! So I lost a good 150gb of data.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    I have a really bad data loss story!

I was home sick from work one day a few years back, so I decided to reinstall to OpenSUSE 10.3. I was talking to a friend and had a big headache, and I completely neglected to remember you have to manually select partitioning as a step. It decided to wipe my data drive to install OpenSUSE and kept my Ubuntu I wanted to remove. XD! So I lost a good 150gb of data.
    That bytes I lost a 120 gig drive with about 80 gigs of music on it couldnt ever get the data off the drive I have a 500 gig external now so everythings safe now damn I mourned the loss!
    This is Linux. It gives you a cute mascot and enough rope to hang yourself!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

My friend says it's probably because he was in the airforce, but he never did any military operations, he just worked on jet engines so I don't know why he's so paranoid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's an irrational fear. Like being scared of spiders, I'm not scared of spiders and I think it's absolutely weird and damn-right stupid that people can be scared of something that can do them absolutely no harm whatsoever (I know some spiders can but people seem to be scared of them all, for some reason). It's something I will never figure out, a mentality I completely don't understand and never will.

I have a few fears I guess, and I know it's completely stupid to get anxious about certain stuff, but I still do anyway. My fears are more paranoia about myself as a person, do people like me etc., and I guess I'm a little scared of heights, though that's a relatively rational fear.

Think this guy just needs to relax, have a glass of scotch, chill out a bit .

Beans

I would agree, but ... spiders.. They move in such a creepy way. I do not mind them near me, but def not on me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Timmer1240 View Post
    Its nice to have everything backed up to an external drive I never worry anymore.
    That's what everyone should be doing. I actually have my stuff backed up 3 times. My main OS could completely blow up, and I wouldn't care. It's too bad other people don't follow good backup procedure.

Oh, as far as the father at the house? No comment, as airing my feelings would get me an infraction.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

this is a thread about 75% of the people in my house.
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Haha jerenept. I'm lucky everyone in this house uses Linux or OSX (for Adobe and the iTunes App Store, they want to use Ubuntu though).

The thing about irrational fear and paranoia is that it isn't a logical thing. People aren't purely logical creatures, they're emotional and spiritual creatures, too. Because of this, the inner part of a human being can override the mind, even if it's dangerous and pointless. If we don't steel our minds, our humanity can become less worthy, and we become sheeple.

It's important not to let your fears dictate your being, but have your being dictate your life.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast