Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardware Upgarde Questions

Beans

Question Hardware Upgarde Questions

Ok this question isn't really about Ubuntu but it is kinda (please tell me if I'm not allowed to post things about hardware that doesn't have allot to do with Ubuntu). I wanted to know for how long i can keep upgrading my hardware. Does it eventually just stop or can you keep going forever until you get bored of your chassis or the components don't fit. I use Ubuntu so I just wandered does the OS have anything to do with upgrades... I know that the motherboard has to be swapped after a while but i want to get a little more in depth with the concept of upgrading. Also please tell me which components rely on each other. I also know that some things cant be switched or are very hard to switch. What might be important is to know which upgrades are necessary and which ones aren't. The last thing that i know about is that it inst always the smartest thing to do compared to just buying a new laptop. Last thing, are other laptops more upgradeable than others (or at least easier to upgrade)?

QUESTIONS IN SHORT

-How long can I keep on upgrading my laptop's hardware

-Does the OS have anything to do with upgrades

-Which hardware components rely on each other and would need to be
    swapped in the event that i wanted to get a new component that depended on another

-What cant be upgraded or are hard to upgrade (I'm guessing the screen, keyboard, and touch pad)

-Are other laptops more upgradeable than others

-What are smart and necessary upgrade and which ones aren't.

Any useful response will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks (thread continues on page #2 and maybe more later)
    Last edited by Mr. Man; October 6th, 2008 at 07:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Hardware Upgarde Questions

If your system is specifically not doing something you want it to be able to do, then you should update (ie, if you need a faster processor, video, or ram to play that new game you bought). Otherwise, don't bother.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

As for how long can you update, as long as hardware is sold that is compatible with your current system, and this will rely heavily on what you own now.

Beans

But say my laptop is out of date and i just want a faster ram, nothing else, then i should upgrade right!

Plz answer my questions as if i was going to upgrade every single bit of it.

And try to answer as much as you can. i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Beans

but cant i just upgrade the motherboard and then i can upgrade all the other things too? Please explain more, alot more! i wont get bored easily...

Beans

The longer and more boring it is, the better!

lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

IMO. upgrading a laptop is virtually useless except for memory. (and virtually impossible in many cases as the components are hard mounted to the motherboard .. that is unless you are VERY skilled in soldering, as having someone else do the work would be an upgrade that is NOT WORTH THE COST.

For a desktop .. more memory and more storage are fine .. you have to weigh the cost factor for processor changing. But anything that makes your life easier without costing you your first born should be considered.
    However, there is the law of diminishing returns.
    Changing out a processor to gain 2% in speed is not a smart move.
    Remember that stuff wears out .. and eventually you can't bail fast enough to keep the boat afloat. At that time you have to consider cutting your losses and going for the next new item.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

<opinion> Given the falling prices on laptops (and a lot of other electronics), you may find it cost effective to just kiss the old hardware good bye and buy (laptop) or build (desktop) new. That way you're starting out with current technology and the hardware is not approaching the end of it's life cycle.</opinion>

IndyTim
    New Build : Core 2 Quad, 8G RAM, 1.75TB Storage ... it's fun!
    GRUB Partition Linux Backups- Ver2 Easy LAMP Install
    Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu User 15015

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoundguy View Post
    IMO. upgrading a laptop is virtually useless except for memory.
    Bingo. With very few, very rare, exceptions.

A lot of your other questions have "it depends" answers. Generally speaking though, buy a laptop add some memory, maybe upgrade the hard drive (a 7200RPM drive can really boost the performance of a lappy) and stop. It's just not worth the expense the way technology moves.

Desktops are an entirely different matter.

Beans

so what ur saying is that its close to imposible to upgrade a laptop and if i were to upgrade a standard computer (no laptop) i would still not have a great chance of getting any real improvement in my costs.

(still kinda confuzed)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast