Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

Quote Originally Posted by geoffree View Post
    "glibmm-ERROR **: unhandled exception (type std::exception) in signal handler: what: basic_string::substr"

What does this signify?
    I'm not sure. I think I would try to restore a normal G2 setup, at least initially.

Close Grub Customizer, if it is open.

Open a file browser as root (gksu nautilus /etc/grub.d) and move any file in that folder named "*.proxy" to the Desktop or somewhere else.

Next move any files in "/etc/grub.d/proxifiedScripts" folder back into /etc/grub.d These files are the originals which GC used to make the *.proxy files. Restoring them to the /etc/grub.d folder should return G2 to normal.

Once you have no files in /etc/grub.d named *.proxy, try running "sudo update-grub" and see if it now works. You will have lost any GC customizations but at least have restored normal G2 functionality for the time being.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by geoffree View Post
    I tried editing the file thus: sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    There were three characters at the end of the file: = "" . I deleted them. Now the splash screen is fine; the resolution is readable. However I'm still unable to launch grub-customizer. When running update-grub I got an error message that followed the listing of the kernels:

"glibmm-ERROR **: unhandled exception (type std::exception) in signal handler: what: basic_string::substr"
    G.
    Hi geoffree,

I'd like to fix this. Please set up a bug report at https://bugs.launchpad.net/grub-customizer and attach your grub2 configuration files/directories (/etc/grub.d and /etc/default/grub).

Thanks,
    Daniel

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Daniel,

Thanks for stepping up. Welcome to the Ubuntu forums. It gives me another chance to thank you for your excellent work with Grub Customizer.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by james.euless View Post
    I cannot get it to run. I get:

"grub-mkconfig couldn't be executed successfully. You must run this as root!"

Any help is appreciated.
    The following worked for me when I received that message....Create an empty directory called 'locale' in /boot/burg:

'sudo mkdir /boot/burg/locale'

John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    When you start GC, you should get a pop-up window asking for your password, just as you would when using any other GUI app requiring root access.

I get the same message as you report if I try running it from the command line as "grub-customizer". Try "gksu grub-customizer" or start it from Applications > System Tools.

If you continue to have problems, try running any other command as root from the command line and see if it works ("gksu gedit").
    It does ask for the password and I can run other commands as root. When I try Grub Customizer I get this:

james@james-desktop ~ $ gksu grub-customizer
    checking for the burg-mkconfig command…
    checking for the grub-mkconfig command…
    /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig
    checking for the update-grub command…
    /usr/sbin/update-grub
    checking for the grub-install command…
    /usr/sbin/grub-install
    checking for the grub-mkconfig command…
    /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig
    checking for the update-grub command…
    /usr/sbin/update-grub
    checking for the grub-install command…
    /usr/sbin/grub-install
    running grub-mkconfig
    /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: /boot/grub/device.map:2: No open parenthesis found.

I tried running grub-mkconfig as root just by itself and got this:

/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: /boot/grub/device.map:2: No open parenthesis found.

If I have not mentioned before, I am running LinuxMint. I thought being based on Ubuntu this would work, but there may be some unknown difference.

Beans

Help! Help! Help! How do I start my very own postings? I want to start a new post of my own to ask questions about problems I am having with ubuntu. Such as:

I have windows xp and ubuntu when I choose to use ubuntu I have to choose recovery mode with the ubuntu CD in the drive and then choose "failsafe graphic mode for just one session."

Now it seems to me that I should not have to always start with my ubuntu cd in the drive and
    certainly not have to go to recovery mode, etc. just to start Ubuntu.

Help! Please!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aunicorn View Post
    Help! Help! Help! How do I start my very own postings? I want to start a new post of my own to ask questions about problems I am having with ubuntu. Such as:
    I have windows xp and ubuntu when I choose to use ubuntu I have to choose recovery mode with the ubuntu CD in the drive and then choose "failsafe graphic mode for just one session."
    Now it seems to me that I should not have to always start with my ubuntu cd in the drive and certainly not have to go to recovery mode, etc. just to start Ubuntu.

Help! Please!
    Go to the forum you want to add the entry to (Absolute Beginners might be best for you). Click on "New Thread" near the top left.

Note: We discourage the use of specialized fonts, colors and emphasis on these forums, especially for the entire post. It's covered in the Forum Code of Conduct.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by james.euless View Post
    It does ask for the password and I can run other commands as root. When I try Grub Customizer I get this ...

I tried running grub-mkconfig as root just by itself and got this:

You might try running "sudo grub-mkdevicemap" which should create a new device.map file for you and possibly resolve your issue (or at least that error message).
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have a unique siduation & need some help. I'd like to change the grub to default to Vista instead of Ubuntu.

My main problem is the PC that is dual booting Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit & Vista is a company computer & restricts internet connections. I can connect on the Vista side but not while on Ubuntu. Ubuntu was installed with just the install CD &, without internet access, has not been updated to a full install. The goal was to use an open sourse machining program which has been installed & does seem to work but at times crashes. This same software company, EasyDNC, offers a pay version which works very well on Vista.

I cannot download any new software unless it is accessable as a standard internet program from Vista, then install in Ubuntu. Is there a way to change grub order without additional software?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

GARoss,

Assuming you can boot Ubuntu, open a terminal (Applications, Accessories, Terminal) and run these commands:
    Code:
    grep menuentry /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
    The first command will display the "menuentries" in your Grub2 menu. Count the menuentries starting from 0 and determine the Vista entry (e.g. if it's the third menuentry, the number would be 2).

Next edit /etc/default/grub and find the "DEFAULT=0" line and replace it with the new number. Save the file, then run:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Reboot.

If you need clarification it's explained in the "Tasks" link in my signature line.
    Last edited by drs305; March 1st, 2011 at 04:08 PM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast