Thread: Convert flv to mpeg2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Convert flv to mpeg2

I'm trying to change some flv videos to be able to play on a dvd player and after numerous attempts and googling I was able to play a lower quality dvd. I was trying to use dvdauthor for my latest attempt but it insists on mpeg2 files and not the avi or mpq I'm ending up with. Does anyone have any advice?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Convert flv to mpeg2

Quote Originally Posted by ronnielsen1 View Post
    I'm trying to change some flv videos to be able to play on a dvd player and after numerous attempts and googling I was able to play a lower quality dvd. I was trying to use dvdauthor for my latest attempt but it insists on mpeg2 files and not the avi or mpq I'm ending up with. Does anyone have any advice?
    A suggestion from a discussion at the Puppy Linux forums. One of the posts suggests the following ffmpeg command for converting flv to mpeg-2:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i file.flv -ab 128 -ar 44100 -b 500 -ac 2 -s 320x240 file.mpg
    If commandline is not your thing, there is a Linux GUI for Mencoder: AutoMen for Linux. I think it's Free software, but I'm not sure. According to this review, it supports flv

If you get really stuck, there's a freeware program called Mediacoder, which mostly works with WINE. Apparently, it converts from flv to mpeg-2.

A basic ffmpeg how-to from Ubuntu Geek: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/convert-fl...ng-ffmpeg.html
    Last edited by Matt Yun; December 9th, 2008 at 07:31 PM.

Beans

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

run this with wine. It works amazingly!

[EDIT]

I should really learn to read previous posts completely ^_^

Beans
    Distro

Shouldn't the resolution be increased to 720 x 480?

Beans
    Distro

Ok, I was able to change the videos but is there a way to increase resolution so the dvd has a good picture?

Beans

The target option in ffmpeg will automatically set the other options (frame size, bitrate, codecs, buffer sizes) and make an appropriate output:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.flv -target dvd output.mpg

Beans
    Distro

ffmpeg -i input.flv -target dvd output.mpg

This works great on some but on others it returns an error similar to:

ffmpeg -i Walkin_down_the_road.flv -target dvd WalkingDownTheRoad.mpg
    FFmpeg version SVN-r13582, Copyright (c) 2000-2008 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
    configuration: --prefix=/usr --libdir=${prefix}/lib --shlibdir=${prefix}/lib --bindir=${prefix}/bin --incdir=${prefix}/include/ffmpeg --enable-shared --enable-libmp3lame --enable-gpl --enable-libfaad --mandir=${prefix}/share/man --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --enable-libfaac --enable-libxvid --enable-postproc --enable-libamr-nb --enable-libamr-wb --enable-x11grab --enable-libgsm --enable-libx264 --enable-liba52 --enable-libtheora --extra-cflags=-Wall -g -fPIC -DPIC --cc=ccache cc --enable-swscale --enable-libdc1394 --enable-nonfree --disable-mmx --disable-stripping --enable-avfilter --enable-libdirac --disable-decoder=libdirac --enable-libschroedinger --disable-encoder=libschroedinger --disable-altivec --disable-armv5te --disable-armv6 --disable-vis
    libavutil version: 49.7.0
    libavcodec version: 51.58.0
    libavformat version: 52.16.0
    libavdevice version: 52.0.0
    libavfilter version: 0.0.0
    built on Oct 22 2008 15:22:08, gcc: 4.3.2

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 1000.00 (1000/1) -> 30.00 (30/1)
    Input #0, flv, from 'Walkin_down_the_road.flv':
    Duration: 00:02:00.51, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 8 kb/s
    Stream #0.0: Video: flv, yuv420p, 320x436, 30.00 tb(r)
    Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 22050 Hz, mono, 8 kb/s
    Could not determine norm (PAL/NTSC/NTSC-Film) for target.
    Please prefix target with "pal-", "ntsc-" or "film-",
    or set a framerate with "-r xxx".
    I've experimented with a few ntsc options and I didn't guess right.
    I'm also wondering. When playing the videos in VLC they're still not real good video (yes, it does change it to dvd resolution) Is there a way to get a better picture or to have a smaller size video (Not take up the whole tv) in order to have a better picture?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

winff may help

gui for ffmeg with a ton of presets

http://www.biggmatt.com/winff-04/
    Ubuntu user # 16304 www.nocleanfeed.com
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing.things i have learnt changing from Xp pro to Ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ronnielsen1 View Post
    I've experimented with a few ntsc options and I didn't guess right. I'm also wondering. When playing the videos in VLC they're still not real good video (yes, it does change it to dvd resolution) Is there a way to get a better picture or to have a smaller size video (Not take up the whole tv) in order to have a better picture?
    Try this:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.flv -target ntsc-dvd -padtop 120 -padbottom 120 -padleft 180 -padright 180 -s 360x240 output.mpg
    It declares a frame rate and adds black padding to cover the rest of the screen.