Page 86 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Yep, I checked both of them before posting. xev does not show anything at all when those buttons are pressed and I didn't install anything like evdev etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi, I am trying to make a Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 work with Ubuntu Hardy Heron. The mouse works for basic functions using just about any xorg.conf setting (ImPS/2, ExplorerPS/2, AUto, etc). What bothers me is that I have never managed to make the tilt wheel work. It's weird: When I press it right or left, X restarts. I can't find a single error message on dmesg or /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

I gave up using other recommended xorg settings for this mouse and adopted the basic ones recommended at bntx manual troubleshooting section. Please see the attached xorg.conf so you see all I have tried: It is all there commented out. I have also attached the output of cat /proc/bus/input/devices.

However, even using this basic settings, X restarts as I move the tilt wheel right or left.

When I try to make btnx-config autodetect my mouse, no matter how much time I move the mouse and press buttons it doesn't detect it. And if I move the tilt wheel X restarts.

effenberg@effenberg-mobile:~$ cat /proc/bus/input/devices
    I: Bus=0003 Vendor=045e Product=00d1 Version=0111
    N: Name="Microsoft Microsoft Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel"
    P: Phys=usb-0000:00:10.0-1/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:10.0/usb1/1-1/1-1:1.0/input/input2
    U: Uniq=
    H: Handlers=mouse1 event2
    B: EV=17
    B: KEY=170000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    B: REL=1c3
    B: MSC=10
    effenberg@effenberg-mobile:~$ lsmod | grep uinput
    uinput 10240 0
    effenberg@effenberg-mobile:~$ uname -a
    Linux effenberg-mobile 2.6.24-12-generic #1 SMP Wed Mar 12 23:01:54 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Anyone has any idea what I could try?

Thanks,
    Effenberg
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I still can't get this to work. I'm using alpha 6 with all updates, and btnx 0.4.7. I'm using the example xorg.conf from the trouble shooting section.

And how come you don't try and get this to work with evdev? Everything I've read is that it is the future style of mouse drivers..

Edit: Just realized, I don't think mx revolution is going to ever work with btnx anymore. The only way to get the buttons to start being seen is to use evdev.
    Last edited by nesl247; March 20th, 2008 at 03:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nesl247 View Post
    I still can't get this to work. I'm using alpha 6 with all updates, and btnx 0.4.7. I'm using the example xorg.conf from the trouble shooting section.

And how come you don't try and get this to work with evdev? Everything I've read is that it is the future style of mouse drivers..

Edit: Just realized, I don't think mx revolution is going to ever work with btnx anymore. The only way to get the buttons to start being seen is to use evdev.
    What type of system are you running it on? I am using an mx revolution and it is working fine on both Gutsy and Hardy with all of the updates. I am on a Dell XPS 410

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hmm... maybe evdev is also the way to go for me with my Wireless Presenter? But I am to sure it's going to work for USB mouse which is not always present.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I too got this message: "Media change: please insert the disc labeled (...)"

But thanks to this post, it's working now:

Quote Originally Posted by olmari View Post
    You could delete CD-ROM from Synaptics, so it wouldn't try to use CD-ROM anymore as repository holder.
    Thanks! I look forward to playing with this!
    I spent the night setting up my friend's mouse. Now, it is my turn to have fun!

Beans

It's just... GREAT!

And my only chance to use logitech revolution in linux!

BRAVO!

How can I mmmh...

Bind correctly every button?
    I mean I got the button recognized but I'd like to assign lateral buttons for "forward" and "back" in browser or (much more important) to "turn" the compiz cube...

But I don't know what are the buttons name...
    In compiz configuration page I tried to write "button5" or 6 or 7 and so on but I had no look...

Forgive my noob question =_=

Beans

I need some help, i have an MX Revolution, When i go to scroll with the scroll wheel in firefox, it doesn't scroll, instead, it will go back a page, or forward a page. This happened even before i tried btnx, and i don't quite understand how to get btnx to work properly. I really would like to get the full functionality of my mouse. Or at least get the scrolling back.

Edit: I think for some reason, instead of the scroll wheel moving it up and down, it only moves it side to side. Anybody know how to fix this?
    Last edited by LavaWarrior; March 21st, 2008 at 09:17 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nesl247 View Post

It seems to me that you likely have some old configuration settings that are interfering with btnx. i.e. evdev settings, etc.
    Also, make sure you didn't change the "identifier" value in your xorg.conf, because that'll really screw things up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by LtPitt View Post
    I got the button recognized but I'd like to assign lateral buttons for "forward" and "back" in browser or (much more important) to "turn" the compiz cube...

But I don't know what are the buttons name...
    In compiz configuration page I tried to write "button5" or 6 or 7 and so on but I had no look...
    It seems that you are looking at the situation backwards. Instead of making the applications bind to the buttons, make the buttons bind to the application.
    For example, instead of jumping into "about:config" and trying to re-define what makes your browser go forward and backward by setting forward to "button 6" or "button 7", use the shortcuts that are already there, and bind your buttons with btnx-config, so that pressing "scroll-wheel right" is bound to KEY_RIGHT with KEY_LEFTALT as it's modifier. This is the shortcut for going forward in history that FireFox already uses.
    In compiz-config, you use the same principle. Either set the correct keycodes in btnx-config, or, if that causes conflicts with other programs, etc, set the key-binding in compiz-config to something that doesn't conflict, such as BTN_MIDDLE with the modifiers KEY_LEFTALT, KEY_LEFTCTRL, and KEY_LEFTMETA (Windows Key), and set the button in btnx-config to match.
    I avoid using KEY_RIGHTCTRL because it might conflict with VirtualBox.

Quote Originally Posted by LavaWarrior View Post
    I need some help, i have an MX Revolution, When i go to scroll with the scroll wheel in firefox, it doesn't scroll, instead, it will go back a page, or forward a page. This happened even before i tried btnx, and i don't quite understand how to get btnx to work properly. I really would like to get the full functionality of my mouse. Or at least get the scrolling back.

Edit: I think for some reason, instead of the scroll wheel moving it up and down, it only moves it side to side. Anybody know how to fix this?
    several things come to mind:
    1.) Conflicts from a previous setup (Specifically sending an ALT+RIGHT and an ALT+LEFT) Please see the troubleshooting section of the btnx manual for advice on how to proceed.
    2.) Is it possible that you changed from the default bindings in firefox?
    3.) If it only happens with your MX Revolution, then it may be defective, but this is not very probable.

Quote Originally Posted by ZYV View Post
    Hmm... maybe evdev is also the way to go for me with my Wireless Presenter? But I am to sure it's going to work for USB mouse which is not always present.
    evdev is probably not going to solve the problem you have described. It can only deal with what it sees, just like btnx.
    I'm sure there is a solution for using btnx-config to detect those stubborn buttons, but I'm also sure I don't know what it is.
    Unfortunately, it looks as if we'll have to wait for Daou to chime in on that one.
    When the only peace your enemy understands is the "Peace of the dead," you have no choice but to make peace in those terms.

Beans

I figured it's time for an updated listing for button assignments and key combinations. The new version should be a bit clearer than the old.
    The references to button origins have been updated to where the placement should have been based upon the ergonomics of the MX Revolution. (Left and Right now correspond to the physical realities, and Left to Right document flow.)

Here is the update:

==================================================

Left Click
    Do NOT enable!
    You don't want to send extra events when pressing this button!
    keycode = BTN_LEFT

Right Click.
    Do NOT enable!
    keycode = BTN_RIGHT

Wheel Scroll Up.
    Do NOT enable!
    keycode = KEY_SCROLLUP

Wheel Scroll Down.
    Do NOT enable!

keycode = KEY_SCROLLDOWN

Mouse Wheel Click
    . Default behavior.
    No need to enable unless mapped to a different button.
    (Originally Search Key on MX Revolution)
    keycode = BTN_MIDDLE

Alt+Right. i.e. Firefox forward
    (Originally Mouse Wheel Right on MX Revolution)
    keycode = KEY_RIGHT
    mod1 = KEY_LEFTALT

Alt+Left. i.e. Firefox backward
    (Originally Mouse Wheel Left on MX Revolution)
    keycode = KEY_LEFT
    mod1 = KEY_LEFTALT

Ctrl+Alt+Left. For switching workspaces to the Left.
    (Originally Thumb Wheel Backward on MX Revolution)
    keycode = KEY_LEFT
    mod1 = KEY_LEFTCTRL
    mod2 = KEY_LEFTALT

Ctrl+Alt+Right. For switching workspaces to the Right.
    (Originally Thumb Wheel Forward on MX Revolution)
    keycode = KEY_RIGHT
    mod1 = KEY_LEFTCTRL
    mod2 = KEY_LEFTALT

Alt+LeftMouseButton. For dragging windows.
    (Originally Thumb Wheel Press on MX Revolution)
    keycode = BTN_LEFT
    mod1 = KEY_LEFTALT

Ctrl+PageDown. For moving Right through tabs (Firefox, gnome-terminal, etc.)
    (Originally Thumb Button Forward on MX Revolution)
    keycode = KEY_PAGEDOWN
    mod1 = KEY_LEFTCTRL

Ctrl+PageUp. For moving Left through tabs (Firefox, gnome-terminal, etc.)
    (Originally Thumb Button Backward on MX Revolution)
    keycode = KEY_PAGEUP
    mod1 = KEY_LEFTCTRL

Play/Pause. Sends a play/pause key event
    keycode = KEY_PLAYPAUSE

Volume Up. Sends a volume up key event
    keycode = KEY_VOLUMEUP

Volume Down. Sends a volume down key event
    keycode = KEY_VOLUMEDOWN

Volume Mute. Sends a volume mute key event
    keycode = KEY_MUTE

Search. Sends a search command?
    (I haven't verified this shortcut)
    keycode = KEY_F5

Email. Sends a keyboard mail command
    keycode = KEY_MAIL

XF86Forward. i.e. Konqueror forward
    keycode = KEY_FORWARD

XF86Back. i.e. Konqueror back
    keycode = KEY_BACK

Next Song.
    keycode = KEY_NEXTSONG

Previous Song.
    keycode = KEY_PREVIOUSSONG
    Last edited by blazoner; March 22nd, 2008 at 05:29 AM.
    When the only peace your enemy understands is the "Peace of the dead," you have no choice but to make peace in those terms.

Page 86 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast