Thread: Making Blackbuntu?

Beans

Making Blackbuntu?

I want to get involved in pentesting/"legal" hacking. I looked at backtrack5 and blackbuntu, but I dont want to be just a "copy and paste" hacker. I dont have time to go through a course yet, and just want to learn on my own for awhile. I figure the best way to really learn the ins and outs of a hacking OS is to just make my own.

So, I want to make my own "blackbuntu", but where do I get started? What programs should I use? What should I research? etc.

I want to use Ubuntu 12.04 (unless you know of a better OS to use).

Thanks in advance.
    Oh, don't worry. Its only me that is following you

Beans

Re: Making Blackbuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowGuardian View Post
    I want to get involved in pentesting/"legal" hacking. I looked at backtrack5 and blackbuntu, but I dont want to be just a "copy and paste" hacker. I dont have time to go through a course yet, and just want to learn on my own for awhile. I figure the best way to really learn the ins and outs of a hacking OS is to just make my own.

So, I want to make my own "blackbuntu", but where do I get started? What programs should I use? What should I research? etc.

I want to use Ubuntu 12.04 (unless you know of a better OS to use).

Thanks in advance.
    Backtrack (now Kali-Linux), Blackbuntu and all the others are just linux distros built with pentesting in mind so lots of pentesting and security tools are built in and configured around a sepcific kernel, they are just toolkits.

Installing a bunch of applications into a Ubuntu 12.04 wont teach you anything about pentesting, it will teach you how to install applications.

If you can type

apt-get install

Then you wont learn anymore than that.

To learn pentesting then learn to code, learn infrastructure, protocols, learn to write your own exploits etc etc.

Download a preconfigured "toolset" and learn to use it, build your own network or use virtual machines and penetrate them.

Peace
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Thanks for reply

I knew I would have to explain this. Before I install a program I research it and learn how it works. I agree with you about learning to code, etc. I know how to code a little bit. (made some very simple programs) I am not familiar with exploits. I will learn on the way. If I was just going to install everything, then I would just download Blackbuntu or Backtrack.

As I learn those skills, I will build my own OS package. I am learning those skills now, but I want to make my own custom OS.

I am merely asking about some pentesting programs and what they do.

Beans

ok well some of the better and well known individual tools are listed and reviewed here http://sectools.org/

Here is a list of the tools that are installed in Backtrack (the most common and widely used toolset distro) http://zitstif.no-ip.org/bt5/toolslist.txt It is for Backtrack 5 so is current though BT is in release 3, and now been replaced with kali-linux from the same developers at offensive security. http://www.kali.org/
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Thank you

Beans

It doesn't matter what the distro is, or if you "build your own." Like the others said, you really need to learn your coding first, and read about all the new exploits that come out and figure out how it all works. You don't have to switch distros just install some of the pentest tools on your desktop and find out how they work. Use them within your own network.