Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Classic gnome is back in 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Classic gnome is back in 12.04

Personally I hate the idea of Docks, and that is what Unity brings to the table. A dock... and a particularly annoying one. If you have to make a list of some programs at least make it so it doesn't get in the way. Gnome 2 and Windows do this by having a task bar of sort. Unity doesn't do this and every time my mouse gets to close to the edge is fudges up my work. When I first used it I kept on opening random applications which I had to later close. Also as much as I hate the dock, I hate to have my applications in extra large idiot proof touch friendly icons. I have a precession mouse and I want to use it to click on icons in a small list that has all my applications, organized but still small. Gnome 3 and Unity seem to assume that either you are blind, using a touch screen, or you can't point and click because the icons are fricken MASSIVE.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by autumnColors View Post
    I prefer Gnome 2.x look and feel too. I hate the auto hideaway/popup icons and window controls. I find it a little odd that people will imply that all I'm doing is resisting change - and this from people (like me) that use and love a command line interface.
    Nothing wrong with disliking Gnome 3 and Unity or preferring Gnome 2. The problem is with crying out for the return of (dead) Gnome 2 or avoiding the new interfaces completely, which, whether you accept the accusation or not, is resistance to change.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmchapman View Post
    Nothing wrong with disliking Gnome 3 and Unity or preferring Gnome 2. The problem is with crying out for the return of (dead) Gnome 2 or avoiding the new interfaces completely, which, whether you accept the accusation or not, is resistance to change.
    Technically most of us who are using Ubuntu 11.10 are using Gnome 3 even if we are in fall back mode.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DeathShot View Post
    Also as much as I hate the dock, I hate to have my applications in extra large idiot proof touch friendly icons. I have a precession mouse and I want to use it to click on icons in a small list that has all my applications, organized but still small. Gnome 3 and Unity seem to assume that either you are blind, using a touch screen, or you can't point and click because the icons are fricken MASSIVE.
    Classic case of trying to carry over old habits to the new interfaces. Use the search function, as designed, not the icons. They are not smartphone interfaces just because they have large icons in the background.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    Can I stick stuff on the panels? Can I have my virtual desktops? Can I have my min/max buttons and scroll bars?
    Can I have 13 windows open in the Gimp in a nice neat stack on the title bar?

Someone listened! They listened!Excuse me,I've got something in my eye.

Ha ha. Hi, I'm Linuxratty and Gnome 3 was my idea!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

DeathShot: you might be interested to know that in ubuntu 12.04 you can REDUCE the size of the Unity Bar icons by quite a bit if you like...

AND if you use auto-hide on the Unity Bar, it doesn't pop out easily like it does now...you have to sort of push a little against the edge (amount of pushing effort controllable by a sensitivity level indicator)....this way it won't pop out when you don't want it to....

see...better already!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unity evokes the same feeling of change for change's sake as Microsoft's newest office flavour Office 10. No one *asked* for those changes, any more than anyone asked for Unity. Or if they did, they were a very vocal minority.
    Why not fix things that *do* need addressing (that worked before)... like second-monitor support?

I've "dumped" Unity in favour of Cinnamon. Now, my second monitor works. Sort-of. But, the real-estate is finally there. This was the *only* reason I stayed in Win7 as long as I did.
    Linux User #445955
    Let's use a little common sense. Of course, that's not all that common.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Robynsveil View Post
    Unity evokes the same feeling of change for change's sake as Microsoft's newest office flavour Office 10. No one *asked* for those changes, any more than anyone asked for Unity. Or if they did, they were a very vocal minority.
    Why not fix things that *do* need addressing (that worked before)... like second-monitor support?

I've "dumped" Unity in favour of Cinnamon. Now, my second monitor works. Sort-of. But, the real-estate is finally there. This was the *only* reason I stayed in Win7 as long as I did.
    There are other threads to discuss whether or not you like unity. If this thread does not stay on topic, I will ask for it to be closed. Carry on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

you might be interested to know that in ubuntu 12.04 you can REDUCE the size of the Unity Bar icons by quite a bit if you like...

AND if you use auto-hide on the Unity Bar, it doesn't pop out easily like it does now...you have to sort of push a little against the edge (amount of pushing effort controllable by a sensitivity level indicator)....this way it won't pop out when you don't want it to....

see...better already!
    Sounds good.

But Unity aside, this is a good thing simply because the current fall back was broken. Truth be told even if I wanted to use Unity or Gnome it requires mad Hax to work on my VM simply because by default no matter how many resources I allocate to it Gnome 3 and Unity really don't want me to use them... don't get me wrong I got them working like I got Compiz working on fallback mode... but they really do make you work for it. Either way in Gnome 3 fallback mode you get a none uniform bar, and its just bare and disorganized. It just so happens that if you add the things you need and make it look uniform it looks like gnome 2, but it is evident that fallback mode was not a real concern when they released Gnome3 and it's nice they didn't forget about those of us who either have older systems or use VMs or or like lists.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post
    Minor thing, but I'd really like to see the Ubuntu icon next to the Applications menu again.
    Do this:
    Open a new Terminal
    Run: sudo gedit /usr/share/themes/Ambiance/gtk-3.0/apps/gnome-panel.css
    Add ‘-PanelMenuBar-icon-visible: true;’ (sans quote marks) to the bottom of the ‘PanelMenuBar.menubar.menuitem’ item
    Save
    Logout and back in to see change take effect
    Nothing's Impossible..........

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast