Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newb trying to transfer a simple html doc to Ubuntu Server

Beans

Newb trying to transfer a simple html doc to Ubuntu Server

Getting my feet wet with Ubuntu Server:
    Installed it and am able to SSH into it. Can also see the Index page thru a browser on the network so I know that the server is working.
    I created a simple html doc and am trying to transfer it to the server but am running into difficulties.
    Using Filezilla and it will connect to server ok and show the directories but it wont let me transfer anything......just says "could not start transfer".
    I assume this is a permissions thing but unsure where to go from here.
    In Filezilla, the remote site box shows just a "/" and below it is empty.
    I think I need to transfer the html doc to the /var/www folder but can't seem to get to it thru filezilla.....
    Any help or pointers would be really appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Newb trying to transfer a simple html doc to Ubuntu Server

If you are transferring to /var/www then you need to make sure that the file permissions are set so that you can write. If you are the only user of that server, then it is enough to just take ownership of the directory and its files.

Code:
    sudo chown -R fizzasist /var/www/
    If you are sharing that server or directory with others then you will need to use group permissions instead. Either way, it only needs to be done once to set things up.

About the SSH connection, you can also connect via the file manager. In the file manager, press ctrl-L and then enter the URL

Code:
    sftp://xx.yy.zz.aa/var/www/
    Substitute the address of your server and the path to the actual directory that you will use.

Beans

So right now the html doc is on an XP machine (path is F:\site---if that matters) and using filezilla I can see the doc on the left panel but the right panel doesn't show anything and I can't seem to get it to show the /var/www directory

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Any error messages from filezilla? It should show your home directory at the very least.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

In the response/command dialog box it says "directory listing successful" but the only thing showing in the "remote site" box is a "/" and an empty directory below it. I can't seem to browse at all.....

Beans

Oh I logged in anonymously.....I logged back in with the correct username and password and it's all good......Thanks!

Beans

Angry Re: Newb trying to transfer a simple html doc to Ubuntu Server

Ok so I can transfer the files now but when I do, they don't pull it in a browser on another machine....here is a screen shot of filezilla:

The "index.html" pulls up just fine but neither the "Intranet.html" nor the "TEST2.html" pull up......I get file not found....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you get "file not found", then check your links in the html. There maybe some broken links/paths in your hyperlinks etc.

Beans

I must be doing something wrong....I opened WORD and typed TEST and then saved it as a web page (single file) and called it TEST2.HTML, then I copied it into the same directory that has the INDEX.HTML file on the server---the page that WORKS---but when I try to open <server-ip>/TEST2.HTML it says it can't find it
    ??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzasist View Post
    I must be doing something wrong....I opened WORD and typed TEST and then saved it as a web page (single file) and called it TEST2.HTML, then I copied it into the same directory that has the INDEX.HTML file on the server---the page that WORKS---but when I try to open <server-ip>/TEST2.HTML it says it can't find it
    ??
    So, when you open <server-ip>/INDEX.HTML it works? Linux is case sensitive, is the file name actually test.html?
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast