Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E: Package 'sun-java6-jdk' has no installation candidate

Beans
    Hidden!

E: Package 'sun-java6-jdk' has no installation candidate

I know this question has been asked a multitude of times and I've read and tried the various suggestions and the frustration continues. When I tried Open JDK that worked but I am new at this and the tutorial I'm following is specific about using the Sun JDK. I have added the ppa because I know Ubuntu had some licensing issues but I still get this.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev squashfs-tools build-essential zip curl libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev sun-java6-jdk pngcrush schedtool 
    [sudo] password for jim: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Package sun-java6-jdk is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: E: Package 'sun-java6-jdk' has no installation candidate

Which PPA did you add? Was it this one referred by the Community Documentation?

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/insta...buntu-via.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unibroker View Post
    I know this question has been asked a multitude of times and I've read and tried the various suggestions and the frustration continues. When I tried Open JDK that worked but I am new at this and the tutorial I'm following is specific about using the Sun JDK. I have added the ppa because I know Ubuntu had some licensing issues but I still get this.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev squashfs-tools build-essential zip curl libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev sun-java6-jdk pngcrush schedtool 
    [sudo] password for jim: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Package sun-java6-jdk is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

Any suggestions?
    Not sure what your using java for but if you google "compile android in Linux" you will find a number of tutorials on setting up java, either by adding a repo or by manually installing the latest from the oracle java website. Xda developers is a great resource for these even if your not using it for android compiling.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by drmrgd View Post
    Which PPA did you add? Was it this one referred by the Community Documentation?

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/insta...buntu-via.html
    No. It was this one
    Code:
    ppa:ferramroberto/java
    suggested by someone at the subject tutorial having the same problem.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by 00negative View Post
    Not sure what your using java for but if you google "compile android in Linux" you will find a number of tutorials on setting up java, either by adding a repo or by manually installing the latest from the oracle java website. Xda developers is a great resource for these even if your not using it for android compiling.
    XDA has the tutorial I'm following and as I say setting up the JDK has been super challenging for me.

Beans
    Distro

Try that webup8 one then. It's the one I usually use, and it works quite well.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by drmrgd View Post
    Try that webup8 one then. It's the one I usually use, and it works quite well.
    Other than going into the tutorial code and changing to JDK7 everywhere JDK6 is mentioned, no compatibility issues? Thanks for the response. I hadn't see that link.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unibroker View Post
    Other than going into the tutorial code and changing to JDK7 everywhere JDK6 is mentioned, no compatibility issues? Thanks for the response. I hadn't see that link.
    Sounds like you have it working but you could try paranoid androids site for their setup to compile their rom as well. It has a pretty straight forward guide to setting it up manually. Just for future reference.

If their is a step in particular that is tripping you up feel free to ask.

Beans
    Distro

No problem. I think that changing the install to v6 should work. I think I actually had to do that a short time ago due to some compatibility issues, although I can't remember if I installed Oracle or Open JDKv6.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by 00negative View Post
    Sounds like you have it working but you could try paranoid androids site for their setup to compile their rom as well. It has a pretty straight forward guide to setting it up manually. Just for future reference.

If their is a step in particular that is tripping you up feel free to ask.
    I like PA's tutorial (I think by Mateorod). I actually attempted using both methods and both failed. I've been following fattire for the last year and will stick with his CM10 tutorial. But seeing as I can't get through setting up the build environment without falling all over myself..................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast