Page 83 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Exclamation Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

This might be stupid but i did not read all 82 pages,

how can i start Iceweasel32 via fluxbox menu?
    and as a refrence could u also post them for the other browsers?
    Iceweasel32 in bash works
    [exec] (Iceweasel) {Iceweasel32} <> does not work

Beans

Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Hi, thanks for your post. I'm not able to run the firefox32 web browser however. I installed the basic script and then .deb file for firefox. I see firefox32 in applications, but clicking on it, it doesn't work (firefox32 seems to initialize and then nothing). If run from a terminal, following are errors that I get:
    [LinSipina : ~ · 19:13:29] $ firefox32
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libpangohack.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libpangohack.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    /usr/local/firefox32/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgobject-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    I'd greatly appreciate any help. Best regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by ipina View Post
    Hi, thanks for your post. I'm not able to run the firefox32 web browser however. I installed the basic script and then .deb file for firefox. I see firefox32 in applications, but clicking on it, it doesn't work (firefox32 seems to initialize and then nothing). If run from a terminal, following are errors that I get:
    [LinSipina : ~ · 19:13:29] $ firefox32
    /usr/local/firefox32/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgobject-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    I'd greatly appreciate any help. Best regards.
    Thanks for the info, the bolded area is why it isnt starting. The base script may not work for Feisty, most people dont use it because it doesnt install any plugins. For some reason the ia32-libs package didnt install (the script uses apt-get to install it). You can go here to download/install it.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans

My firefox32 (which has updated itself to 2.0.0.4) always adds the extension to the original file name. That means, I end up with two extensions. How can I avoid that? I'm using Kubuntu Feisty Fawn 64-bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

java is easier using this site

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

its is from ubuntu community works fine

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by santy_kushwaha View Post
    java is easier using this site

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

its is from ubuntu community works fine

The thing is, that page deals mostly with 32bit, this howto is for amd64 or 64bit users.. The one little section with 64bit info links to this howto. The reason the howto is easier, is that I have an automatic setup script. Download, click and install everything automatically.

Second, while there is a package thise that want to use the GCJ package. It is a HUGE security risk. I quote

Starting with Ubuntu 6.10 (EdgyEft), you can install the experimental java-gcj-compat-plugin from the universe archive. It is available on all architectures. Note however, that the plugin currently runs with no security manager. This means that applets you load can do anything a java application that you download and run can do. Be **very** careful which applets you run.
    Last edited by Kilz; June 1st, 2007 at 06:35 AM.

Beans

I'm also having a problem with getting Java to work. I used the automated script and successfully downloaded both Firefox 32-bit and IceWeasel. Flash works fine but not Java. When I go to about: plugins, I can't see Java listed.
    This file: libjavaplugin_oji.so is found in the folder: usr/local/java32/plugin/i386/ns7 and in the folders: usr/local/firefox32/plugins and usr/local/iceweasel32/plugins.
    I tried this but to no avail:
    Code:
    sudo chown -hR USERNAME:users /usr/lib32/firefox32/plugins
    I'm using Feisty by the way.
    Last edited by Symo; June 1st, 2007 at 01:58 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Thanks for the info, the bolded area is why it isnt starting. The base script may not work for Feisty, most people dont use it because it doesnt install any plugins. For some reason the ia32-libs package didnt install (the script uses apt-get to install it). You can go here to download/install it.
    Hi and sorry for this delay answering you. Thanks a lot for your interest in helping. Regarding your suggestion, the package you mention is already installed in my system, although I reinstall it. However, I got the same error; for some reason, it seems it doesn't work. This way, I tried the nspluginwrapper alternative; this time I haven't got any error although a page such as www.racycles.com cannot be seen because the lack of the flash plugin. Best wishes.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ipina View Post
    Hi and sorry for this delay answering you. Thanks a lot for your interest in helping. Regarding your suggestion, the package you mention is already installed in my system, although I reinstall it. However, I got the same error; for some reason, it seems it doesn't work. This way, I tried the nspluginwrapper alternative; this time I haven't got any error although a page such as www.racycles.com cannot be seen because the lack of the flash plugin. Best wishes.
    If you installed nspluginwrapper flash in firefox 32 may stop working.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    If you installed nspluginwrapper flash in firefox 32 may stop working.
    Ok, I see. Don't know if nspluginwrapper installs in firefox32, or firefox. Please, could you be so kind as to tell me whether or not there's some special procedure to UNinstall both firefox32 and nspluginwrapper? and, in the case I'm interested only in installing the flash plugin, is the best nspluginwrapper? Kind regards.

Page 83 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast