Page 3 of 171 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support

Beans

Re: HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support (Hardy Heron)

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    Unfortunately the "uninstall" instructions I gave you seem to cause problems on AMD64 systems, I'm on i386 here so I wasn't able to test.

Also, your final line suggests that you didn't remove libasound2-dev, perhaps you misread my instructions.
    I think that might be the problem. Everything I do in apt-get after I install that package gives me that error. Maybe something is wrong with the package? I mean debian-ubuntu wise in AMD64?
    Oh well, I have found a solution, I just quit Pulse audio, and now I'm using everything thru ALSA.
    It's working better than I expected, surprisingly...

Beans

I believe Krimpet was referring to the "optional" step of Part C, which is also necessary for my system, otherwise any OSS applications using "padsp" stutter *extremely*. It's obvious it doesn't happen for everyone, if you take a look at the respective bug reports.
    Indeed, this was what I was referring to - the "optional" edits to daemon.conf have greatly improved the sound quality of padsp applications that were stuttering badly before. (I'm using a Dell Inspiron E1405 with an Intel 82801G sound card, which appears to be a quite similar setup to yours).

I'm not sure though whether padsp's stuttering was fixed by the daemon.conf tweak alone, or a combination of that _and_ the distupgrade (part C, 1-3) is what fixed it; perhaps someone running stock Hardy could make that edit their daemon.conf and see if that alone stops padsp from stuttering?

This is very good news for the legions of currently angry Skype users, by the way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Re: HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support (Hardy Heron)

Hi, Thanks for your How-To... I a getting this dependencies problem.. I just want to make sure about something...

I installed the packages and after that I created the file... All that went OK but then I got that error with the dependencies and to correct it I ran the 'sudo apt-get install -f' and got this... Should I say yes or not? I'm not sure about all the things it says it needs to uninstall...

Code:
    maitreyi@maitreyi-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
    [sudo] password for maitreyi: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Correcting dependencies... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      lib32ncurses5 libc6-i386 skype-common lib32gcc1 lib32nss-mdns lib32z1
      lib32stdc++6
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      flashplugin-nonfree ia32-libs lib32asound2 nspluginwrapper skype-static-oss
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    After this operation, 122MB disk space will be freed.
    Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Grone1985 View Post
    Hi, Thanks for your How-To... I a getting this dependencies problem.. I just want to make sure about something...

I installed the packages and after that I created the file... All that went OK but then I got that error with the dependencies and to correct it I ran the 'sudo apt-get install -f' and got this... Should I say yes or not? I'm not sure about all the things it says it needs to uninstall...
    Please, don't uninstall anything yet. Can you try following Part A again (reload the page to see v1.6 of the HOWTO), and see if it fixes your problem? Please post the output of the same command i.e., "sudo apt-get install -f" if you still have problems.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Stunts,

Can you try Part A again too?

Afterwards, try:
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install -f
    $ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    ...and it wants to install packages (*not* remove), please allow it.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Talking Re: HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support (Hardy Heron)

Please, don't uninstall anything yet. Can you try following Part A again (reload the page to see v1.6 of the HOWTO), and see if it fixes your problem? Please post the output of the same command i.e., "sudo apt-get install -f" if you still have problems.

Thanks.
    Thanks! That fixed the dependencies problem... I will reboot now and check what happends... I'll post back with more info on the results... Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Re: HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support (Hardy Heron)

So... now I have no sound at all... And Skype doesn't want to load... I have the OSS version... Help please?

Beans
    Distro

So... now I have no sound at all... And Skype doesn't want to load... I have the OSS version... Help please?
    Try:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree ia32-libs nspluginwrapper skype-static-oss skype-common lib32ncurses5 libc6-i386 lib32gcc1 lib32nss-mdns lib32z1 lib32stdc++6 ubuntu-desktop --reinstall
    $ sudo apt-get install -f
    You may need to provide more information, e.g. did you allow other packages to be uninstalled that wasn't listed in your post?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have sound now but Skype doesn't load and no, I haven't done anything else than what I've posted here. Also I don't understand the equalizer thing.. can you explain that to me a little more?
    THanks!

Beans
    Distro

I have sound now but Skype doesn't load and no, I haven't done anything else than what I've posted here.
    I'm not sure why Skype won't load, all I can suggest is that you completely remove it and reinstall.

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get remove --purge skype skype-common skype-static skype-static-oss
    Try different versions of skype, e.g. the ALSA build, the static ALSA build or the OSS build, and if it doesn't work, paste any terminal output from skype here.

Also I don't understand the equalizer thing.. can you explain that to me a little more?
    This HOWTO uses the mbeq (Multiband EQ) LADSPA audio processing plugin with settings suitable for laptop users. This is a general description of an equalization filter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equalization_filter

If you read the links for Part D you'll see my post where I explain how some Windows XP drivers use "hidden" EQ software for some sound cards in laptops, and Linux/ALSA cannot do the same, causing audio to sound worse on Linux (unfortunately).

We can accomplish something similar using LADSPA plugins (there are links in the HOWTO). LADPA has much more flexibility than a simple equalizer, though; with the right LADSPA plugin, you can modify your sound output to make every voice sound like Chipmunks (...why you would want to do that is another question ), add reverb, white noise, crossfade, etc. etc. You are limited only to the plugins available to you.
    Last edited by psyke83; May 13th, 2008 at 01:13 PM.

Page 3 of 171 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast