Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu's Top-Secret New Product

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu's Top-Secret New Product

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    What about Ubuntu TV? About this time last year we were promised Ubuntu TV available commercially within 2012. Nothing.

Ubuntu for phones? Old news. Ubuntu Mobile was released in 2008, but only for one release before development was stopped.

Unity? Still incomplete in my opinion.

Basically, Ubuntu offers 75% of everything, but 100% of nothing. In no field does it excel. This latest announcement I expect to go the same way as previous ones. There will be an overly ambitious announcement about a project currently in alpha. For the next six months, people will blog about it to no end. Next year at this time, most of you will have forgotten that they made a major announcement and failed to anything about it and will get all excited about the upcoming years announcement about Ubuntu Coffee Maker or Ubuntu Beta Max. Its what I have come to expect from Canonical.
    I guess you didn't see Mark's quick peek at Unity on a smart phone during his last key-note speech at UDS-R.

Beans

I would wish that they would work with google for android.

Maybe they release an official ubuntu phone.

Or ubuntu netbooks, tablets or something like that.

I can't wait to hear what it is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It never fails to amaze me how much people moan and complain about something that is given away for free.

It will be interesting to see what happens if Canonical release a product you actually have to pay for.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    It never fails to amaze me how much people moan and complain about something that is given away for free.

It will be interesting to see what happens if Canonical release a product you actually have to pay for.
    big +1

I myself still hold out for an Ubuntu-powered popcorn maker.

If we're going to speculate, why not do it with extravagance.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    I myself still hold out for an Ubuntu-powered popcorn maker.

If we're going to speculate, why not do it with extravagance.
    I reckon I'd spend a few bucks on one of those too -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I would listen to the Mark Shuttleworth Keynote at UDS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O98XoSUZAgg. It does give a very good idea of the direction that Canonical is taking Ubuntu.

I must say that Ubuntu is being positioned by Canonical extremely well for devices that straddle desktop and mobile, and is already well ahead of the competition in this space. This is very much a long term strategy. Microsoft is making a belated valiant attempt in this space with Windows 8, Apple on the other hand is not even trying.

The idea that a "desktop" and a "mobile" computer/phone have to have completly different operating systems, software, and interfaces will in the future be as archaic as punch cards and paper tape readers are today.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Ubuntu's Top-Secret New Product

It will get called a Linspire clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    The status quo never changes. Ever.
    That's what the powers that be at Microsoft thought.
    Last edited by Linuxratty; December 31st, 2012 at 03:10 AM.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

It makes a lot of sense to develop separate operating systems based on the devices that use them. Google appears to have abandoned that fact by merging the smart phone and tablet operating systems together with Ice Cream Sandwich. Jelly Bean and Key Lime Pie are going to continue that integrated operating system support for smart phones and tablets next year.

I hate Apple and I hate Apple users, but I have to say that separating OS X from iOS is smart. Look at how successful they have been so far.

Ubuntu's Unity does not work that well on smart phones because it's resource intensive and the screen sizes are too small. You'd need a 4"+ screen or larger to make use of Ubuntu Unity on a smart phone. Tablets are a little different because most start at 7" or larger. It makes sense to put Ubuntu Unity on a tablet.

Canonical is not really trying hard enough to innovate. Give me a hybrid device that works like a notebook PC but has a detachable 11.6" screen to use as a tablet and let my Google Android Jelly Bean smart phone sync with it perfectly. We're not even close to that reality for Ubuntu users.

Ubuntu is meant for PCs and servers. That's really it. I don't care what kind of drivel Mark Shuttleworth is spouting off nowadays; he doesn't have enough partners and OEMs that give enough of a damn to ship an alpha quality product to market yet. He knows this is true.

Why should anyone care about buying Ubuntu powered PCs, servers, tablets, smart phones and smart screens? You can get more features for less money by going with the traditional brands like Google, Apple, Samsung, LG, HTC, Sony, Panasonic, etc. that already sell HDTVs, smart HDTVs, smart phones, and tablets that do all of these features.

What I'm trying to get at is that Ubuntu and GNU/Linux has already failed to make a dent in the PC desktop market. Now, Canonical is trying to branch out to the hyper ultra competitive smart phone, tablet, and HDTV markets? Are they crazy or stupid or something worse?

Keep focusing on Ubuntu PCs and servers. Keep developing PC focused new features. Drop the Ubuntu Unity desktop environment or change it so that it will integrate with the Google Play store and Google Android Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean more seamlessly. Do these things instead of chasing pipe dreams and Canonical will have a real shot at changing the status quo.

Otherwise, this is going to be all awash. Too few people in this world care about Canonical and Ubuntu and that's just not going to change significantly. Purchasing Ubuntu powered devices is going to be very expensive as an early adopter compared to the existing market for Google and Apple and now Microsoft devices and software. If Ubuntu powered devices don't sync well with others, then it's going to be a closed ecosystem with an open source focus. How ironic would that be?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Because its free we should expect poor quality? Because its free we have no right to voice our opinions if they are negative? Just grin and bare it because its free?

Personally, I want Canonical to make better products and improve Ubuntu, but their current business model of dumping money into an idea and then abandoning it is going to drive them into the ground.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    I hate Apple and I hate Apple users, but I have to say that separating OS X from iOS is smart. Look at how successful they have been so far.
    Apple user here. Hope you don't hate me.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast