Thread: Removing admin rights stymies 92% of Microsoft's bugs

Beans

Removing admin rights stymies 92% of Microsoft's bugs

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&intsrc=kc_top

That's right, folks. 1 plus 1 continues to equal 2, to the amazement and wonder of all.

*I know the title is misleading - I didn't choose it*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: Removing admin rights stymies 92% of Microsoft's bugs

I have been telling that to windows users forever, but they just didn't listen to me. I got comments like: "Nah, UAC is annoying, UAC is this, UAC is that...I turn it off right away..."
    .___.___.__...__..___..__....__..__..
    |.__|.__|._\./__\|._.\/..\../..|/..\.
    |._||._||.v.|.\/.|.v././\.|.`7.|.//.|
    |_|.|___|__/.\__/|_|_\_||_|..|_|\__/.

Beans

Re: Removing admin rights stymies 92% of Microsoft's bugs

Microsoft has refused to call the Windows 7 UAC issue a security bug, and instead has insisted that the behavior exploited by the malicious script is by design.
    *facepalm* Arrogant losers. They need to start thinking for once.

Beans

If Microsoft was to make a non administrative rights default most of the software would have to be rewritten and bought again to work this way. Since the software is either designed to use UAC or run with Admin rights usually.

When I tried to run XP without admin rights I was amazed how many applications would not run without them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    If Microsoft was to make a non administrative rights default most of the software would have to be rewritten and bought again to work this way. Since the software is either designed to use UAC or run with Admin rights usually.

When I tried to run XP without admin rights I was amazed how many applications would not run without them.
    Such as? All of my apps run, and suRun makes installing/configuring things easy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    Such as? All of my apps run, and suRun makes installing/configuring things easy.
    Just about anything didn't run without admin rights. Even Microsoft admits this problem. You seem like your never heard of it? Do a simple search and you will find lots.

What I finally had to do was run something called winsudo. Which is no longer in developement.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    Just about anything didn't run without admin rights. Even Microsoft admits this problem. You seem like your never heard of it? Do a simple search and you will find lots.

What I finally had to do was run something called winsudo. Which is no longer in developement.
    suRun is a sudo equivalent.

None of my apps have trouble on a limited account. Maybe I'm just lucky...