Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Install ANY Distro of Linux

Beans

Can't Install ANY Distro of Linux

Hi, my first post here. I've been semi-interested in Linux in any flavor for a few years now. I'm having a problem installing virtually any distro of Linux on this computer. I've also tried using Wubi.

When I try installing from a CD (I've tried several from many different sources, friends, downloads, etc.), I select the option to install and the screen goes black with some random garbled characters running along the bottom of the screen. Sorry, I don't have any info on what those characters are at the moment, if they are important I can add those in another post.

When installing using Wubi, the installation goes through just fine but when I reboot and select Ubuntu the system hangs right after loading the Ubuntu splash screen, XP Pro loads fine.

My system specs are: HP Pavilion a705w, 2.93GHz Celeron, 1GB of DDR 333, ATI Radeon 9250 256, LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-4832K optical drive, Seagate ST340015A 40GB ATA hard disk (jumper set to master), and a Maxtor 4D040H2 40GB ATA hard disk (jumper set to slave).

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by pentiumwetwired; June 2nd, 2008 at 02:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Can't Install ANY Distro of Linux

try selecting the safe graphics mode install. This should handle the graphics issues that are introduced by your ATI card which has spotty linux drivers. On the hardy CD i believe you have to go into boot options in order to select the safe graphics mode.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

Thanks for the quick reply, but I guess I should have said that I'd like to use Wubi so I don't destroy the data already on both the drives. Is this possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

okay so get you wubi install setup again and when grub loads hit escape. This is one of the first screens you see after the bios. Select the recovery option and see if you can boot into the CLI. From there type
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/gdm start
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

Thanks! I'll try this a.s.a.p.

Beans

Ok, so I installed with Wubi, restarted the machine, selected Ubuntu, hit esc and got a menu with a few choices, safe graphics mode, with APACI (I think) workarounds, start normally, verbose mode, and Live CD.

With safe graphics mode the start-up stalls and displays:

init: rcS main Process (5434) killed by SGEV signal
    init: Unable to execute "bin/sh" for rc-default: Permission Denied
    init: rc-default main process (6568 ) terminated with status 255
    With the workarounds selection I get:
    init: rcS main Process (5434) killed by SGEV signal
    init: Unable to execute "bin/sh" for rc-default: No such file or directory
    init: rc-default main process (6568 ) terminated with status 255
    Any ideas?

Beans

Any help on this? Uncharted territory?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Bump. I too have a similar problem with an HP m7060n.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Its been a while since I used wubi...

I searched around and the HP Pavilion a705w does seem to have issues, the workaround is to add the parameter " acpi=off " (without the quotes)

From the wubiguide
    Sometimes the ACPI is not fully supported and can hang the boot process or you may experience video problems (black screen). In such cases, after you select "Ubuntu" at boot, press "ESC" and choose one of the other options
    You should be able to set acpi=off there.

Link to wubi guide is : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#he...c9b0f3860f194b

Link to the wubi forums is :http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=234

I recommend the wubi forums, the people there do a great job.

I hope this helps you
    For a custom Google Search Engine providing results from Ubuntu related sites click Here

When your problem is resolved, please mark it SOLVED

Beans

Have you tried the Live CD (HH 8.04), just to check if Ubuntu can boot? That's how I installed Ubuntu. I think that there's an option of installing Linux within the Windows filesystem from the LiveCD. I myself installed by creating a real partition.

Try booting from a cold powerdown, safe graphics, etc, if the default LiveCD boot doesn't work.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast