Thread: Acer Extensa 7630EZ - what works and what does not...

Beans

Acer Extensa 7630EZ - what works and what does not...

This is a post to try to help both myself and others that want to run Ubuntu on this bargain laptop, as I couldn't find much regarding this hardware, and several critical components does not work.

The most critical functions that do not work out of the box in 9.10 daily is:

• wireless network - the Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
    • wired network - Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5764M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 10)
    • Acer shortcuts and keys - the special keys on the keyboard and shortcut keys does not work

What I have tried so far:

As a tip to others that need network on this laptop: I use my HTC Touch HD as a USB network card to connect to the internet. Works out of the box, but can be potentially expensive depending on your data plan.

To get the wireless network running, I have tried the following:

• installed updated wireless drivers from linuxwireless.org
    • installed linux-backports-modules-karmic

Even though it seems that the ath9k driver should support the card, it will not show up under my configured interfaces, and the output from sudo lshw -C network gives

Code:
    *-network UNCLAIMED     
           description: Network controller
           product: AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
           vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:05:00.0
           version: 01
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix cap_list
           configuration: latency=0
           resources: memory:ba000000-ba00ffff
    To get the wired networking to run, I have tried the following:

• nothing

To get the shortcut keys working, I have tried the following:

• nothing

I will keep updating this til I have a fully working system. If anyone has tips and / or tricks and want to share them, I will add them to this post with references where needed.

-KJ

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Re: Acer Extensa 7630EZ - what works and what does not...

Hi Jevel.

I have this laptop as well and I am using it with Archlinux (x86_64) for several weeks now.

While the atheros ar928x based wireless card works out of the box with 2.6.30.x kernels just fine, I did not managed to get this card recognized with any 2.6.31.x kernel. You can find the corresponding bug-report here.

I would be happy if you could provide some feedback there since until now it seemed as if I was the only one experiencing this bug.

Other than that, the notebook pretty much just works, I have to admit though, that I don't plan to use the special keys so I haven't even tested them.

Quote Originally Posted by jevel View Post
    This is a post to try to help both myself and others that want to run Ubuntu on this bargain laptop, as I couldn't find much regarding this hardware, and several critical components does not work.

The most critical functions that do not work out of the box in 9.10 daily is:

• wireless network - the Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
    ...teaching statistics to kangaroos...

Beans

Hi!

With ubuntu 9.10 and kernel 2.6.28-16 (which also comes with 9.10) I've a connection via eth0. But sound doesn't work with this kernel - it worked with ubuntu 9.04 and also workes with kernel 2.6.31-14 .

-- Richard

Beans

Hi,

have you been successful with your attempts to get the WIFI/LAN (sound?) running? I am considering to buy this laptop and I want to run Ubuntu on it.

- Klaus