Thread: Resurrecting my iTunes playlists on Rhythmbox, no dual-boot

Beans

Resurrecting my iTunes playlists on Rhythmbox, no dual-boot

I'm a new ubuntu user. I've installed 12.04 onto a clean desktop (no dual-booting) and am trying to retrieve my iTunes playlists off my old/dying Win XP laptop. iTunes crashed on the laptop long ago and will no longer run w/o being reinstalled.

The song files themselves were on an external HD (named E:\ on the old laptop), which has nearly crashed as well ("failure imminent" as the diagnostics say), tho I've been lucky enough to transfer its full contents to my new machine before it's completely dead.

I've also been able to salvage the iTunes Library files, in both .itl and .xml formats. I've managed to rewrite a copy of the iTunes xml as a Rhythmbox library database, via http://www.njamin.org/blog/tutorials...cluded-121.php

So here's my question...

Can I somehow point Rhythmbox to the new location of the song files, so it can then recreate the playlists I had on my old system?

They original filepaths for the entire library have been preserved, except for the all-important E:/. Seems like all the right pieces are there, they just won't fall into place!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Resurrecting my iTunes playlists on Rhythmbox, no dual-boot

Quote Originally Posted by Commanche1 View Post
    I'm a new ubuntu user. I've installed 12.04 onto a clean desktop (no dual-booting) and am trying to retrieve my iTunes playlists off my old/dying Win XP laptop. iTunes crashed on the laptop long ago and will no longer run w/o being reinstalled.

The song files themselves were on an external HD (named E:\ on the old laptop), which has nearly crashed as well ("failure imminent" as the diagnostics say), tho I've been lucky enough to transfer its full contents to my new machine before it's completely dead.

I've also been able to salvage the iTunes Library files, in both .itl and .xml formats. I've managed to rewrite a copy of the iTunes xml as a Rhythmbox library database, via http://www.njamin.org/blog/tutorials...cluded-121.php

So here's my question...

Can I somehow point Rhythmbox to the new location of the song files, so it can then recreate the playlists I had on my old system?

They original filepaths for the entire library have been preserved, except for the all-important E:/. Seems like all the right pieces are there, they just won't fall into place!
    I don't think the iTunes file will do you any good. When I use Rhythmbox or Banshee and add music to my iPod it shows up as before when using iTunes.
    Registered Linux user #436067
    Registered Ubuntu user #29066
    -----------------------------
    Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing.

Beans

Thx, oboedad55, looking more and more like you're right. I suppose part of the ubuntu learning process is learning to "let go and start over."

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Commanche1 View Post
    Thx, oboedad55, looking more and more like you're right. I suppose part of the ubuntu learning process is learning to "let go and start over."
    Sure thing, let us know how you come out. I've been running Linux a long time so I'm used to it, but it's sometimes confusing making the transition from Windows. You're used to scouring the Internet to find programs, fight with anti-virus programs and so on. With Linux it's extremely rare to have to do any of that. All the programs are in the repos and there is generally no need to fret about viruses and malware. Have fun!

Beans

My situation is that I have copied the iTunes files/folders from an old Mac HD to my Ubuntu system. I expect to be able to use the Rhythmbox File>Import Folder command to import the music, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Any thoughts would be appreciated. -Brendan

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by helotbc View Post
    My situation is that I have copied the iTunes files/folders from an old Mac HD to my Ubuntu system. I expect to be able to use the Rhythmbox File>Import Folder command to import the music, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Any thoughts would be appreciated. -Brendan
    Are these music files? If so, what format are they in? In Banshee I just drag and drop albums from Banshee to the iPod. I believe Rhythmbox is the same.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oboedad55 View Post
    Are these music files? If so, what format are they in? In Banshee I just drag and drop albums from Banshee to the iPod. I believe Rhythmbox is the same.
    They're .m4p's. My issue is not getting the files from Rhythmbox to the device, it's getting the files to be recognized by Rhythmbox. I've copied the folders/files into my ~/Music directory, where RB keeps its repository. I guess I need to know how to rebuild the RB database to include these files in the UI.

Beans

I uninstalled/reinstalled Rhythmbox. No change. I installed Banshee. It scanned my hd and found all the music files, old and new.

Correction: the new files are of type .m4p. The old files are .m4a. I think that's my issue. Now I either need to get the players to play m4p or convert the files. Thx.