Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: x11vnc won't start from /etc/gdm/Init/Default

Beans

Re: x11vnc won't start from /etc/gdm/Init/Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir_S View Post
    Krunge, please can you help, i've compiled 0.9.9 x11vnc and added "/home/vladimir/x11vnc -o /var/tmp/x11vnc_test.log -forever -bg" to /etc/gdm/Init/Default on a 9.10, but even after reboot it still quits after loggin in.
    Is this really the end of it?
    Code:
    07/12/2009 17:46:10 check_xrandr_event: no change detected.
    07/12/2009 17:46:10 check_xrandr_event: updating config...
    07/12/2009 17:46:10 check_xrandr_event: current  WxH: 1440x900
    07/12/2009 17:46:10 check_xrandr_event(): returning control to caller...
    I don't see any messages indicating that a client has connected, but you say it it fails after you log in.

Also, please examine /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old for any indication that your X server is crashing.

Perhaps use "-oa /var/tmp/x11vnc_test.log" instead of "-o" to have the log append (i.e. maybe what you sent was for a restarted X server and it overwrote the log for the actual failure.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by krunge View Post
    Is this really the end of it?
    Code:
    07/12/2009 17:46:10 check_xrandr_event: no change detected.
    07/12/2009 17:46:10 check_xrandr_event: updating config...
    07/12/2009 17:46:10 check_xrandr_event: current  WxH: 1440x900
    07/12/2009 17:46:10 check_xrandr_event(): returning control to caller...
    I don't see any messages indicating that a client has connected, but you say it it fails after you log in.

Also, please examine /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old for any indication that your X server is crashing.

Perhaps use "-oa /var/tmp/x11vnc_test.log" instead of "-o" to have the log append (i.e. maybe what you sent was for a restarted X server and it overwrote the log for the actual failure.)

OK, i've added "-oa" and i saw next message at x11vnc_test.log:

"08/12/2009 11:33:50 copy_tiles: allocating first_line at size 46
    caught XIO error:
    08/12/2009 11:33:57 deleted 45 tile_row polling images."

And there is an error in Xorg.0.log:

"(II) Dec 08 11:33:56 NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1440x900"

Backtrace:
    0: /usr/bin/X(xorg_backtrace+0x3b) [0x8133d6b]
    1: /usr/bin/X(xf86SigHandler+0x55) [0x80c7d35]
    2: [0xb6e400]
    3: /usr/bin/X [0x80f99f0]
    4: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so [0x5d46267]
    Saw signal 11. Server aborting."

P.S. Before and after i installed x11vnc it was a problem with local logging into xfce. 2-3 times of putting in my password before I get into the desktop. Only in Karmic i get this problem. Maybe this issue cause the problem with loggin into vnc server?

P.S.S Sorry for my english.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Vladimir_S; December 8th, 2009 at 12:26 PM.

Beans

And there is an error in Xorg.0.log:

"(II) Dec 08 11:33:56 NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1440x900"

Backtrace:
    0: /usr/bin/X(xorg_backtrace+0x3b) [0x8133d6b]
    1: /usr/bin/X(xf86SigHandler+0x55) [0x80c7d35]
    2: [0xb6e400]
    3: /usr/bin/X [0x80f99f0]
    4: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so [0x5d46267]
    Saw signal 11. Server aborting."

P.S. Before and after i installed x11vnc it was a problem with local logging into xfce. 2-3 times of putting in my password before I get into the desktop. Only in Karmic i get this problem. Maybe this issue cause the problem with loggin into vnc server?
    Well, if the X server is crashing that is pretty serious. I suspect buggy nvidia video drivers.

To be clear, x11vnc is not part of the X server, it is just an X client (application) that asks the X server for 'screenshots' of regions of the screen and asks to inject mouse and keystroke events. The X server (+h/w drivers) must be able to handle those requests w/o crashing.

Did you say sometimes it crashed and restarted when you tried to log into xfce while sitting at the physical display? (i.e. no VNC/x11vnc) If so, I suspect buggy video drivers or failing hardware and somehow x11vnc pushes it through a more likely failure path....

Try it with the non-proprietary driver 'nv' and see if the problem goes away. Or check nvidia's site for changes/bugs WRT the driver for your graphics h/w. ubuntu 9.10, etc..

Beans

Well, if the X server is crashing that is pretty serious. I suspect buggy nvidia video drivers.

To be clear, x11vnc is not part of the X server, it is just an X client (application) that asks the X server for 'screenshots' of regions of the screen and asks to inject mouse and keystroke events. The X server (+h/w drivers) must be able to handle those requests w/o crashing.

Did you say sometimes it crashed and restarted when you tried to log into xfce while sitting at the physical display? (i.e. no VNC/x11vnc) If so, I suspect buggy video drivers or failing hardware and somehow x11vnc pushes it through a more likely failure path....

Try it with the non-proprietary driver 'nv' and see if the problem goes away. Or check nvidia's site for changes/bugs WRT the driver for your graphics h/w. ubuntu 9.10, etc..
    Thank you very much, Krunge! I solved problem with loggin in into xfce (my monitor did't correctly detected, but after uninstall old drivers of videocard and installed the newest and generating modeline, edited xorg.conf - it's all right and i'm logging w/o any trouble) So now i'm logging in to x11vnc, but it is issue with mouse cursor - it is like "black crossroads".

Beans

So now i'm logging in to x11vnc, but it is issue with mouse cursor - it is like "black crossroads".
    I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Beans

I'm not sure what you mean by this.
    Mouse cursor: X

Beans

Mouse cursor: X
    That is my favorite cursor, BTW. (I built it by hand to match the X server's default cursor; it gives me a warm feeling every time I see it.)

Are you supplying the '-noxfixes' cmdline to x11vnc by any chance?

If not, when you compiled did you have the libXfixes build package (aka dev) installed? I.e. configure saying 'checking for XFixesGetCursorImage in -lXfixes' saying 'yes' or 'no'?

libXfixes support should give you your cursors. If you can't get that to work (the older x11vnc's in the repositories should have that support) you can supply '-cursor arrow' to get a single arrow everywhere (see also -arrow n in the docs for how to choose from some styles.)

Beans

That is my favorite cursor, BTW. (I built it by hand to match the X server's default cursor; it gives me a warm feeling every time I see it.)

Are you supplying the '-noxfixes' cmdline to x11vnc by any chance?

If not, when you compiled did you have the libXfixes build package (aka dev) installed? I.e. configure saying 'checking for XFixesGetCursorImage in -lXfixes' saying 'yes' or 'no'?

libXfixes support should give you your cursors. If you can't get that to work (the older x11vnc's in the repositories should have that support) you can supply '-cursor arrow' to get a single arrow everywhere (see also -arrow n in the docs for how to choose from some styles.)
    Thank you very much, Krunge! I decided to use your favourite cursor too It is very useful, i will not forget that i'm on VNC server now ) Thank you very much for your help and work on the x11vnc project!

Beans

Hi,

I have a similar problem. I am using Lucid 10.04 and also x11vnc-0.9.10_i686-Linux which lives in /usr/bin and I have this in /etc/gdm/Init/Default just before exit...

"/usr/bin/x11vnc-0.9.10_i686-Linux -rfbauth -usepw -oa /tmp/x11vnc_0.9.10_32.log -forever -bg -rfbport 5900 -httpdir /usr/share/vnc-java/"

--also I do not have auto log on configured at all.

At first I had errors in /var/log/Xorg.0.log about my Nvidia display driver so I did what was suggested in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=x11vnc+Xorg which was to do this:

Code:
    open the terminal and type
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub

change the line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

save file
    close
    and then
    sudo update-grub

...after this I didn't have any more errors in Xorg.0.log, but my command would execute in my Default file because I could see a log created in /tmp but then x11vnc would crash and I would not see it running with a "ps wwaux" command.

Is there any way to give Default a delay in executing maybe? After x11vnc crashes, I can then run the same command in putty and it starts up just fine and does not crash. Maybe there is another approach to take to this?

Thanks for your help on this

--docjay

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by docjay View Post
    ...after this I didn't have any more errors in Xorg.0.log, but my command would execute in my Default file because I could see a log created in /tmp but then x11vnc would crash and I would not see it running with a "ps wwaux" command.
    Please attach to this thread as a file your entire /tmp/x11vnc_0.9.10_32.log showing the failure.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast