Page 20 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Quote Originally Posted by muadnu View Post
    I've been trying to upgrade my BIOS to 1.10 but haven't been able to. I downloaded the new BIOS from the Acer website, but cannot run it in Vista since it is 64 bit (and, as it seems, the BIOS file only works in 32 bit).
    It only works under DOS/FreeDOS. I tried it under 32-bit Vista and it didn't work either.

Quote Originally Posted by muadnu View Post
    I tried next flashing it booting in FreeDOS, as suggested by cyberfish in this post. But when I run the executable I get an error (something like "DOS/4GW Professional error (2001): exception... (page fault)", which I'm not sure how to interpret). Luckily nothing bad happened to my motherboard. Maybe I didn't know how to interpret the "boot with the vanilla option" part of cyberfish's post, I don't know if booting with the wrong option makes a difference, but I'd like to know better before trying again.
    Hmm I didn't get the error so I don't know...
    The "vanilla option" I referred to is the one without HIMEM and EMM386. I think it was the last or the second last option in the unetbootin boot menu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfish View Post
    It only works under DOS/FreeDOS. I tried it under 32-bit Vista and it didn't work either.

Hmm I didn't get the error so I don't know...
    The "vanilla option" I referred to is the one without HIMEM and EMM386. I think it was the last or the second last option in the unetbootin boot menu.
    Ok, my bad. I probably picked the wrong one when I tried last time. Now it worked perfectly. Thanks, cyberfish!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yay I've got two-finger scrolling.

All thanks to this post (just needed to share my happiness )
    Last edited by miegiel; August 14th, 2009 at 01:45 AM.

Beans

Hi everyone,

I've just installed Jaunty on my 3810t, but I'm having some problems. The live USB loaded okay, and everything seemed to work fine, and the install went fine. But when I restart and try to run Ubuntu, the laptop just goes to a blank screen partway through booting. Any ideas what I've done wrong?

Thanks, Harry

Update: found this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireTimeline/Fixes

I couldn't get the "Set boot option in GRUB" instruction to work, but then I installed Karmic Alpha 4, and tried that instruction again, and all seems well now
    Last edited by pound_forthesound; August 14th, 2009 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Status changed

Beans

Red face Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

tell me how, you can set ubuntu to save battery more? my battery time is just 5 hours, thank you...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by yuki86 View Post
    tell me how, you can set ubuntu to save battery more? my battery time is just 5 hours, thank you...
    1st of all, 5 hours isn't that bad I get something like 6 hours.

That said, what you can do is:
    • Set screen brightness to a (workable) minimum.
    • Disable wifi and bluetooth if you don't use it.
    • Disable the onboard ATI card (if you have that model) in the BIOS.
    • Add the CPU frequency scaling monitor to your panel (both cores) so you can set your cores to power save easy.
    • Don't use compiz or any 3D eye candy.
    • Don't run conky or other stuff that keeps you laptop bussy.
    • Don't play music (keeps your disk in a active state).
    • Don't watch vids, especially HD vids suck the life out of your laptop.
    • Close your browser when you're not surfing.
    • Avoid ubuntu forums, those animated smilies are a waste of battery life

I get something like 8 hours battery life if I don't use my laptop, But I rather have the music and eye candy.

Beans

The most important thing is to enable wifi power saving mode. Read the wiki for how to do that.

Beans

Guys,

I having some issue with my Acer Timeline 4810 ATI driver card. Please refer my post here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7800701

Please help to solve this issue.

Beans

Has anyone else had difficulty connecting to wireless networks with this laptop? I mean both under Windows and Ubuntu... I can sometimes connect, but the laptop decides to disconnect regularly and then not connect again for long periods. To me it seems like a hardware issue

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pound_forthesound View Post
    Has anyone else had difficulty connecting to wireless networks with this laptop? I mean both under Windows and Ubuntu... I can sometimes connect, but the laptop decides to disconnect regularly and then not connect again for long periods. To me it seems like a hardware issue
    This used to happen to me regularly, though mostly when using wireless for a long time. It hasn't happened in a while, though when I use the laptop for a long time I usually use the ethernet. I don't know about Windows, and I'm actually running Fedora 11.

Page 20 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast