Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Customizing existing icons

Beans

Customizing existing icons

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 with gnome 3 shell. I'm currently using the icon theme Ubuntu mono-dark and I like it but there are just a few icons I want to change. I imagine changing those icons would just be going to some directory and replacing the images, so I looked at /usr/share/icons/ubuntu-mono-dark/ but I'm not sure where to go from there. There are 3 folders there, 16, 22, and 24. In 22 and 24, there are icons that say "audio-volume-low-panel.png" "audio-volume-low.png" etc but none of them are the ones that contain the images that appear when I change the volume through fn-f11 or other fn hotkeys. I looked but I can't find a tutorial for editing an existing icon theme in 12.04, but if there is one please post the link.
    Any help is much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Customizing existing icons

Not all icon themes are set up the same way. I have changed images in other sets but not Ubuntu defaults.

Ask Ubuntu may another place to seek an answer. I don't think the Ubuntu sets work independently of each other and that is why you can't locate the identical images. Keep in mind some icons have many images to create an animation. Volume and battery status would be examples of that.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Not all icon themes are set up the same way. I have changed images in other sets but not Ubuntu defaults.

Ask Ubuntu may another place to seek an answer. I don't think the Ubuntu sets work independently of each other and that is why you can't locate the identical images. Keep in mind some icons have many images to create an animation. Volume and battery status would be examples of that.
    Alright, I'll make a post over at Ask Ubuntu, thanks.

Beans

http://askubuntu.com/questions/24522...themes-gnome-3
    The ask ubuntu thread, posted for reference.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by jrogge View Post
    I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 with gnome 3 shell. I'm currently using the icon theme Ubuntu mono-dark and I like it but there are just a few icons I want to change. I imagine changing those icons would just be going to some directory and replacing the images, so I looked at /usr/share/icons/ubuntu-mono-dark/ but I'm not sure where to go from there. There are 3 folders there, 16, 22, and 24. In 22 and 24, there are icons that say "audio-volume-low-panel.png" "audio-volume-low.png" etc but none of them are the ones that contain the images that appear when I change the volume through fn-f11 or other fn hotkeys. I looked but I can't find a tutorial for editing an existing icon theme in 12.04, but if there is one please post the link.
    Any help is much appreciated.
    Icon theme doesn't always have to have it's own images for every icon needed, the themes can also define another theme to inherit from, and then all the missing icons will be pulled form that theme instead. Which is most likely what you are seeing here.

To find the original icon youa re looking for, take a look at the theme's index.theme -file. In the beginning you'll find a line like this:

Code:
    Inherits=Humanity-Dark,gnome,hicolor
    This means that if an icon isn't found from ubuntu-mono-dark, the system should look if one is available in Humanity-Dark. And if not there, then gnome, and finally hicolor.

This also means that once you have found the correct icon and it's name, you don't have to edit any other theme, as soon as you create the icon in the theme you are editing the system will start using it instead of inheriting it from some other theme. (And also you don't actually need to edit an existing theme to change a few icons, you can instead make a new theme of your own, just add the icons you wish to change and then set the theme to inherit from ubuntu-mono-dark )
    Last edited by mcduck; January 20th, 2013 at 09:50 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    ... take a look at the theme's index.theme -file. In the beginning you'll find a line like this:

Code:
    This means that if an icon isn't found from ubuntu-mono-dark, the system should look if one is available in Humanity-Dark. And if not there, then gnome, and finally hicolor.
    Very helpful ... Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Icon theme doesn't always have to have it's own images for every icon needed, the themes can also define another theme to inherit from, and then all the missing icons will be pulled form that theme instead. Which is most likely what you are seeing here.

To find the original icon youa re looking for, take a look at the theme's index.theme -file. In the beginning you'll find a line like this:

Code:

This also means that once you have found the correct icon and it's name, you don't have to edit any other theme, as soon as you create the icon in the theme you are editing the system will start using it instead of inheriting it from some other theme. (And also you don't actually need to edit an existing theme to change a few icons, you can instead make a new theme of your own, just add the icons you wish to change and then set the theme to inherit from ubuntu-mono-dark )
    I'm confused, which theme should I replace the image in? Should I just dig around in the folders until I find the images?

EDIT: Nevermind, I must have missed the part where you said the order of inheritance. Thank you so much, I'll post the results later today.
    Last edited by jrogge; January 20th, 2013 at 05:13 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I had a similar problem which I posted here .. if it helps ..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2104483

Beans

I switched the audio-volume-high.png file in every place Ubuntu-mono-dark inherits but it still is showing the original image? How can I find out where the theme is getting the image so I can change that>

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by jrogge View Post
    I'm confused, which theme should I replace the image in? Should I just dig around in the folders until I find the images?

EDIT: Nevermind, I must have missed the part where you said the order of inheritance. Thank you so much, I'll post the results later today.
    You only should change it in the theme you are editing. The inheritance is used only if an icon doesn't exist in a theme. (This way the theme creators don't need to duplicate every singe image file to create a small variation of a theme, for example a different versions for light and dark panels.)
    Last edited by mcduck; January 20th, 2013 at 09:03 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast