Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could someone point me in the right direction?

Beans

Re: Could someone point me in the right direction?

This tutorial explains the concept of "repositories," how to manage your software sources, and how you can add/disable/remove third-party sources such as the X Updates PPA:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by EliteNeophyte View Post
    ...downloading the official Ubuntu update package during the installation would have not only gone over my download cap, but once doing so would have slowed down my connection to a point where getting them all would take several days, so to counteract this and get my osless computer running I well... cancelled several during the update...
    This really is not a good idea! The problems you have experienced may well be due to a installation that is now incomplete and/or corrupted.

Following the installation of a new OS, such as Ubuntu, from a DVD, it is essential to install all the updates that have been issued since the DVD was released. In order to then maintain and, preferably, improve the security of the new OS it is then necessary to install updates on a regular basis.

I suggest that you do whatever is necessary to connect your computer to a reliable internet connection and then allow it to download all available updates.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

so to counteract this and get my osless computer running I well... cancelled several during the update
    This sounds like very probably the main reason why you have been seeing so many package errors. Cancelling updates is.. well... simply dangerous, and almost 100% guaranteed to lead to a gazillion errors.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sandertje View Post
    This sounds like very probably the main reason why you have been seeing so many package errors. Cancelling updates is.. well... simply dangerous, and almost 100% guaranteed to lead to a gazillion errors.
    Well I have completed an update since and figured that that would have corrected the problem but I still have the same issue, anything I can do? I don't want to re-install unless I absolutely have to

Beans

anything I can do?
    You could start a thread in the Gaming sub-forum with a descriptive title.

Imagine that you are a Counter-Strike expert with a Sandy Bridge computer, and you are surfing Ubuntu Forums in your spare time, looking for people to help. Which thread are you more likely to click: "Could someone point me in the right direction?" or "Could someone help me improve Counter-Strike performance on Sandy Bridge"???

If you had done this yesterday, I'm sure you'd have lots of good answers by now.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

EliteNeophyte; Hi !

I have followed this thread with an interest in alleviating your trials and tribulations ( Hang in there you will get the hang of it ).

May I at this time suggest to get an idea of what condition the package manager is in ?
    running the terminal commands:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    will give some direction on where to proceed.
    Lots of errors and/or LOTS of updates ->
    Might be the better course to go to a high speed access and download the latest .iso file (torrent files often are fastest) and as bad as you do not want to, (re-)install from scratch. Count all this up to the learning experience and carry on !

Alternately; IF you know what you want from your operating system, might consider downloading the "minimal install" CD and installing ONLY the packages that you want on your system. This greatly reduces the on-line time . However, this does take familiarity with the ubuntu operating system at large.

just my thoughts
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    You could start a thread in the Gaming sub-forum with a descriptive title.

Imagine that you are a Counter-Strike expert with a Sandy Bridge computer, and you are surfing Ubuntu Forums in your spare time, looking for people to help. Which thread are you more likely to click: "Could someone point me in the right direction?" or "Could someone help me improve Counter-Strike performance on Sandy Bridge"???

If you had done this yesterday, I'm sure you'd have lots of good answers by now.
    This thread was initially just asking for a guide to Ubuntu for a beginner, I had never meant for the Counter Strike thing to be more than a mention of the trouble I've been having, people asked what I had done so I told them and I truly appreciate the help, would have used a better title, that just wasn't what I had come here for at the time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well I have completed an update since and figured that that would have corrected the problem but I still have the same issue, anything I can do? I don't want to re-install unless I absolutely have to
    Unfortunately, ubuntu is quite sensitive to unfinished/cancelled updates - as I've experienced myself.

Could you perhaps go into the update manager and click 'settings'. Then go to tab 'updates', and UNCHECK the boxes that say "pre-release updates" and "Unsupported updates". You might be asked for your password here btw. Then go to tab "Other software". Do you have any third-party repositories there, and if so, how many? In general, uncheck the ones you don't think are absolutely necessary.

Close the update manager (and synaptic, if open) and open a terminal (sorry, but terminals still give more exact output; any error message produced there is more informative).
    Then type
    Code:
     sudo apt-get update
    This will NOT actually install anything, but will merely check the repositories for new updates. This shouldn't take too long, even on a satellite connection. If you get ANY* errors there, then there's something wrong in your repositories. Post any errors you get back here.

*note: if you get something along the lines of "could not access /var/lock/blah. is another program using it?", then you have not closed down the package manager and/or synaptic. To be able to run apt-get update in terminal you should really close those two programs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Hi EliteNeophyte

Welcome and good luck, I would highly recommend: http://ubuntu-manual.org/

Free, very good and best of all available for download.

Have fun, I'm sure you will.

Beans

On a related note, If I do have to reinstall my os it's going out in style, I'm gonna play lose/lose http://stfj.net/art/2009/loselose/ till this thing won't boot
    Last edited by EliteNeophyte; April 11th, 2013 at 02:56 AM. Reason: added link

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12