Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Proper Screencasting on Linux

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Proper Screencasting on Linux

No, I haven't compiled anything. I'm using the version from the Trisquel's repository, which should be the same one as the Ubuntu's Karmic Koala version. Here is FFmpeg's output:
    Code:
    FFmpeg version SVN-r19352-4:0.5+svn20090706-2ubuntu2.2, Copyright (c) 2000-2009 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
      configuration: --extra-version=4:0.5+svn20090706-2ubuntu2.2 --prefix=/usr --enable-avfilter --enable-avfilter-lavf --enable-vdpau --enable-bzlib --enable-libgsm --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --enable-zlib --disable-stripping --disable-vhook --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable-swscale --enable-x11grab --enable-libdc1394 --extra-cflags=-I/build/buildd/ffmpeg-0.5+svn20090706/debian/include --enable-shared --disable-static
      libavutil     49.15. 0 / 49.15. 0
      libavcodec    52.20. 0 / 52.20. 0
      libavformat   52.31. 0 / 52.31. 0
      libavdevice   52. 1. 0 / 52. 1. 0
      libavfilter    0. 4. 0 /  0. 4. 0
      libswscale     0. 7. 1 /  0. 7. 1
      libpostproc   51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
      built on Apr 23 2010 15:38:06, gcc: 4.4.1
    If you think the problem arises because my version is older, then maybe is best to just wait for the new Trisquel release (based on Lucid Lynx) which should come out soon.
    Last edited by Mampir; September 6th, 2010 at 09:31 PM.

Beans

I believe Lucid's FFmpeg is also to old, if I remember correctly.

Beans

You are probably right. I've just tried version "FFmpeg SVN-r0.5.1-4:0.5.1-1ubuntu1" and with it too the cursor doesn't change.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I used this tutorial to update ffpmeg HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Here is my fmpeg version:
    Code:
    ffmpeg version
    FFmpeg version SVN-r25017, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers
      built on Sep  1 2010 14:13:10 with gcc 4.4.3
      configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-x11grab
      libavutil     50.24. 0 / 50.24. 0
      libavcore      0. 6. 0 /  0. 6. 0
      libavcodec    52.87. 0 / 52.87. 0
      libavformat   52.78. 3 / 52.78. 3
      libavdevice   52. 2. 1 / 52. 2. 1
      libavfilter    1.38. 1 /  1.38. 1
      libswscale     0.11. 0 /  0.11. 0
      libpostproc   51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
    HTH

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Greetings.
    I'm sure most of you have done something more advanced but I didn't think about it when I started doing recordings so I'm posting it anyway in case someone like me is reading this.
    Here's what I did, just because I'm lazy..

First I made a script
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -f x11grab -r 30 -s 1024x768 -i :0.0 -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -threads 0 zzz.mkv
    mv ~/zzz.mkv ~/recs/$(date +%F_%A_at_%H:%M:%S).mkv
    Pretty self-explanatory, especially if you read verb3k's excellent post in the beginning of this thread.
    It's recording to zzz.mkv. I'm using a stupid name like that because sometimes I want to know the filesize when I'm recording, and zzz.mkv makes it quick to find in Nautilus. Yes, I have a lot of crap in my ~/
    When I stop recording it automagically moves the file to my recordings folder called recs and renames it to something like this 2010-09-18_saturday_at_03:51:10.mkv

Make a starter on one of your bars or panels and point it at your script.
    Click starter
    Press q in CLI when done
    Click your starter again
    ????
    Profit

No more manual moving and renaming! Sweet

Beans
    Hidden!

Guide update: More robust "xwininfo" usage. Previously used -geometry parameter does not always return correct values for window coordinates.
    Freedom is neither exclusive nor unlimited.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Just curious: I have a 1920x1200 native res. monitor and have used FakeOutdoorsman's Tutorial to compile FFmpeg with x264 and all
    available options. My refresh rate is 60hz and no matter what I do I get flicker when using the commands on page one. I also get the same
    with Recordmydesktop. Even when I do a screen print, it is not quite right if I tilt the cube or do anything. A regular screenprint comes out OK.
    I am using the absolute latest nVidia drivers and everything is amazing!

60hz is the max. for my monitor and I cannot figure out why I get the flicker. I even tried using fps=50 instead of 30 and still I get flicker.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

thanx that is just what i was looking for ffmpeg really roks

ok changed it a tad so the file ends up on desktop which i prefer

Code:
    ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -f x11grab -r 30 -s 1024x768 -i :0.0 -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -threads 0 ./Desktop/mydesktop.mkv

i have a question tho how can i do this and also add myself being recorded on the cam can it be done?
    Last edited by shantiq; September 28th, 2010 at 11:29 AM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans

Let's install ffcast! This script is good for those who want to simply click on a window or click and drag an area to record.

First you need to install FFmpeg. I prefer to compile it myself, but there are several options here:

HOWTO: Easily enable MP3, MPEG4, AAC, and other restricted encoders in FFmpeg

Now for FFcast:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install git-core libx11-dev checkinstall
    cd
    git clone git://github.com/lolilolicon/ffcast.git
    cd ffcast
    wget http://fakeoutdoorsman.com/ffmpeg/enable_threads.diff
    patch -p1 < enable_threads.diff
    make
    sudo checkinstall --pkgname=ffcast --pkgversion="$(date +%Y%m%d)" --backup=no \
        --deldoc=yes --fstrans=no --default
    Some examples. Capture fullscreen and manually give an output name (by default it games an output file name like ffcast.100928220623.mkv):
    Code:
    ffcast -a -o screencast.mkv
    Select an area to record by dragging the mouse and change the frame rate (by default it's -r 15):
    Code:
    ffcast -s -r 30
    Or show the command without recording:
    Code:
    ffcast -s -r 30 --printcmd
    See ffcast -h for more options.
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; December 24th, 2010 at 10:14 PM. Reason: updated required depencies; fixed patch url

Beans
    Hidden!

@FakeOutdoorsman: Problem with ffcast is that it doesn't support audio, does it?. However, the xrectsel tool is particularly useful. It is brilliant. I think I might add it to the guide.

Anyone can wrap a script or an alias or whatever to get ffmpeg to screencast. I know people who streamlined their entire screencasting pipeline with scipts and aliases. ffcast isn't bad and does what it advertises, but nothing more (no audio, no compression to various target formats etc).

I think it is always better for people to be at "ground zero" and learn ffmpeg itself instead of learning a single purpose interface of another interface. It is for their own good
    Last edited by verb3k; September 29th, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
    Freedom is neither exclusive nor unlimited.

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast