Thread: Realtek 8112L Gigabit LAN controller

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Realtek 8112L Gigabit LAN controller

So my new Computer was workin' fine until one mornin' I lost power to my desktop due to a blackout during an update and my LAN built into my motherboard stop working. The motherboard claims that it's enabled in the bios but it doesn't show up in my Ubuntu installation nor my XP boot. It's a ASUS P7P55D motherboard. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Note: please excuse any grammatical mistakes that don't make any sense because I am typing this out on an iPod.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Realtek 8112L Gigabit LAN controller

If the nic doesn't show up in Windows or Ubuntu, try resetting the BIOS using the jumper on the motherbaord, to see if that makes a difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

If the BIOS reset doesn't work, which I'm guessing it won't, you probably have a hardware failure. If that's the case, just pick up a new PCI gigabit NIC card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by KonoKanji View Post
    So my new Computer was workin' fine until one mornin' I lost power to my desktop due to a blackout during an update and my LAN built into my motherboard stop working. The motherboard claims that it's enabled in the bios but it doesn't show up in my Ubuntu installation nor my XP boot. It's a ASUS P7P55D motherboard. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Note: please excuse any grammatical mistakes that don't make any sense because I am typing this out on an iPod.

Lost power is key here for me. I think the power lost fried your NIC.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    If the nic doesn't show up in Windows or Ubuntu, try resetting the BIOS using the jumper on the motherbaord, to see if that makes a difference.
    So, I popped it open and switched over to the 2,3 jumpers to briefly reset it, popped it back on and the NIC came back to life! Brilliant. I would have been so disappointed if the controller had already burnt out on the board I just invested in.
    Thanks for the prompt responses, guys. Much appreciated.

Beans

Smile Re: Realtek 8112L Gigabit LAN controller

I had a similar problem, also with an Asus P7P55D motherboard, although I didn't have any power problems. Clearing the RTC RAM (moving the jumper from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3 also fixed the problem for me.