Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a new Serval Pro in the works?

Beans

Is a new Serval Pro in the works?

Hello System76

Are you working on a new version of the Serval laptop?

Thanks in advance for your reply

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Is a new Serval Pro in the works?

Yes.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Yes.
    Any further word on when it might be working its way out?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Penguissimo View Post
    Any further word on when it might be working its way out?
    Unfortunately, not yet. But as soon as we can get it out, we'll let you all know!
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's been a long time for System 76 to be without the nice variety of laptops you've had in the past. Not good for business. Not good for potential customers either.

My Serp 2 has bee a very nice machine since June of 2007.

Having upgraded to Ubuntu v 12.04, which in this case is a 64 bit version (on a 32 bit machine) - Picasa no longer works. Tried a solution by going via the terminal to reinstall Picasa - did not work.

I'll keep looking.

hkarl629

Beans

I have to admit I'm feeling very impatient to see the new professional lineup (so I can relate to what hkarl629 said above). My Pangolin Performance has worked well for me but is now about 5 years old and is showing its age. I'm really looking forward to replacing it with a new Gazelle Professional, which presumably will come out around the same time as the Serval. [System76, is this true? Will the entire professional lineup come out at the same time, or might the Gazelle be available before the Serval?]

But at the same time I understand that there must be good reasons for the delay, and that System76 is waiting until they can release "fully baked" (as opposed to "half-baked") professional laptops. Since I'll be one of the first people to order a new Gazelle, I want you to have a really solid product when you put it on sale!

Presumably it won't be too much longer; on April 11 S76 told me they were "shooting for a new professional lineup around late April to early May," so we're not too far past that...yet...

Beans

System76 just released the new Gazelle Professional specs on Google+. Set to be released Monday!

It looks like no Nvidia cards this time...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rodney.jacobson View Post
    System76 just released the new Gazelle Professional specs on Google+. Set to be released Monday!

It looks like no Nvidia cards this time...
    Indeed. The Gazelle is not designed to be a Serval replacement but rather a lighter, high quality audio/visual experience laptop with very fast processing. The Serval was designed for extremely heavy work loads that differ from the Gazelle.

Additionally, nVidia's 2012 Optimus technology is incompatible with Ubuntu and Linux in general. Our previous workaround of implementing a hardware MUX is no longer possible with the new architecture. Therefore, nVidia based Ubuntu laptops are not possible this year. We've exhausted all possible scenarios to deliver nVidia mobile GPUs, and determined that architecturally it's simply not possible for Ubuntu or Linux based products. We are looking into very high end AMD mobile GPU's as a potential option.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Indeed. The Gazelle is not designed to be a Serval replacement but rather a lighter, high quality audio/visual experience laptop with very fast processing. The Serval was designed for extremely heavy work loads that differ from the Gazelle.

Additionally, nVidia's 2012 Optimus technology is incompatible with Ubuntu and Linux in general. Our previous workaround of implementing a hardware MUX is no longer possible with the new architecture. Therefore, nVidia based Ubuntu laptops are not possible this year. We've exhausted all possible scenarios to deliver nVidia mobile GPUs, and determined that architecturally it's simply not possible for Ubuntu or Linux based products. We are looking into very high end AMD mobile GPU's as a potential option.
    Oooh, high end AMD GPUs?? Does that mean the Serval and Bonobo could end up being based on the Radeon 7970 versions of the Clevo P150EM and P170EM?

Whatever ends up coming out, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait! Thanks for all the great work you guys are doing!

Beans

Is there any chance this will be resolved in the near future? One of my friends is planning on getting a new laptop and there's no way he'll get one without a good graphics card.
    Install Pipelight (run Netflix and other VOD services on Linux)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast