Thread: Window snapping for OpenBox?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Exclamation Window snapping for OpenBox?

I was wondering if there was an application which would let me do window snapping in LUbuntu? It's one of the features which makes me miss Compiz!
    -KVarley
    -Proud member of the Linux Foundation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Re: Window snapping for OpenBox?

BUMP!

I'd also like to know how to do this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I think you really want to know how to make plugins for OpenBox.

I have no idea, but I'll ask on the mailing list. *optional* wobbly windows and desktop cube would be cool. For example. Or just snapping windows.
    Last edited by MG&TL; December 22nd, 2011 at 11:28 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    I think you really want to know how to make plugins for OpenBox.

I have no idea, but I'll ask on the mailing list. *optional* wobbly windows and desktop cube would be cool. For example. Or just snapping windows.
    The main reason for people to use OpenBox is because it is ultra fast. One of the reasons why it is so fast is because it doesn't use OpenGL or other fancy graphics. It also doesn't have the capability to be easily extended by plugins. Currently OpenBox doesn't have snap, maybe you can ask the developers if they intend to implement it, but it probably wouldn't be soon.

Wobbly windows and desktop cube will probably never be implemented in OpenBox. You need OpenGL for that and currently OpenBox supports ZERO desktop effects.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    The main reason for people to use OpenBox is because it is ultra fast. One of the reasons why it is so fast is because it doesn't use OpenGL or other fancy graphics. It also doesn't have the capability to be easily extended by plugins. Currently OpenBox doesn't have snap, maybe you can ask the developers if they intend to implement it, but it probably wouldn't be soon.

Wobbly windows and desktop cube will probably never be implemented in OpenBox. You need OpenGL for that and currently OpenBox supports ZERO desktop effects.
    Okay. I guess you could say compiz is lightweight without anything turned on.

Okay, so no plugins.

Never mind. It was a thought.

I prefer it light, too, but I thought it would add some interest to have some light effects.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    I prefer it light, too, but I thought it would add some interest to have some light effects.
    Metacity and XFWM3 support simple transparency, but only Kwin and Compiz have the OpenGL for cubes and Wobbly. Technically Gnome-shell's mutter has the capabilities, but I don't think they have that plugin yet.