Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Beans

Re: Trusty GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Running unity8 on top of gnome-session-flashback (no effects) . Should we not be able to do this ?
    I would think NOT! Why would you expect such a session to run on top of Metacity?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Not sure what I have now. I opened that thread about getting an error insalling this kernel:
    Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-GTO-1969:~$ uname -a
    Linux cavsfan-GTO-1969 3.12.0-4-generic #10-Ubuntu SMP Thu Nov 21 22:07:26 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    I have no option to select which session to login to for either that kernel or the previous one. It goes straight to the last session which is flashback and have nothing but a blue screen with no wallpaper and the icons are all messed up.
    Might be re-install time. But, I'll play around with it first I guess.
    I don't understand what you're saying

If you can't change the auto-login option to "off" this might be helpful:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2183871

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I don't understand what you're saying

If you can't change the auto-login option to "off" this might be helpful:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2183871
    Sorry, I guess that was pretty unclear. When I got the 3.12.0-4-generic kernel in an update yesterday it borked my system and I could not do anything because it got this error:
    (below is output from re-installing 3.12.0-3-generic but, both of them got the error.)
    The screen was blue and the icons were all hosed.

Code:
    Setting up linux-image-extra-3.12.0-3-generic (3.12.0-3.9) ...
    Running depmod.
    update-initramfs: deferring update (hook will be called later)
    initrd.img(/boot/initrd.img-3.12.0-3-generic
    ) points to /boot/initrd.img-3.12.0-3-generic
     (/boot/initrd.img-3.12.0-3-generic) -- doing nothing at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-extra-3.12.0-3-generic.postinst line 491.
    vmlinuz(/boot/vmlinuz-3.12.0-3-generic
    ) points to /boot/vmlinuz-3.12.0-3-generic
     (/boot/vmlinuz-3.12.0-3-generic) -- doing nothing at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-extra-3.12.0-3-generic.postinst line 491.
    Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 3.12.0-3-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.12.0-3-generic
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.12.0-3-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.12.0-3-generic
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 3.12.0-3-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.12.0-3-generic
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.12.0-3-generic
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 3.12.0-3-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.12.0-3-generic
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/update-notifier 3.12.0-3-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.12.0-3-generic
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub 3.12.0-3-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.12.0-3-generic
    I tried re-installing both the 3 and 4 kernels and realized nothing but a clean install would fix it.
    I opened up this thread and apparently I'm not the only one:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2189720

Everything is back running perfectly in Gnome Flashback with effects, Compiz the cube and the whole nine yards.

I noticed that gnome-desktop did get installed by installing gnome this time around. This was after I installed gnome-session-flashback.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I would think NOT! Why would you expect such a session to run on top of Metacity?
    I didn't expect it to work. I just tired it and it did. (work).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You guys didn't bomb on the 3.12.0-4-generic kernel because you've created your own custom kernel right? That's way above my pay grade.

Beans
    Distro

You guys didn't bomb on the 3.12.0-4-generic kernel because you've created your own custom kernel right? That's way above my pay grade.

Nope . Not here . I let those geniuses Paul_in_London and VinDSL do that ! lol

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Nope . Not here . I let those geniuses Paul_in_London and VinDSL do that ! lol

Regards..
    Ha! Thanks for the laugh! You are right lol

Beans

Things are working fairly well here. I occasionally have an app just freeze causing me to either logout and log back in (or reboot) which is inconvenient, but somewhat expected at this point in the game

In fact I used Trusty to produce the Quantal, Raring, and Saucy updates to this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

I quickly learned to "save" frequently due to those app freezes. I imagine that's on the kernel level because the moue and keyboard are still functional.

I'd love to know how we can REISUB now though

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Things are working fairly well here. I occasionally have an app just freeze causing me to either logout and log back in (or reboot) which is inconvenient, but somewhat expected at this point in the game

In fact I used Trusty to produce the Quantal, Raring, and Saucy updates to this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

I quickly learned to "save" frequently due to those app freezes. I imagine that's on the kernel level because the moue and keyboard are still functional.

I'd love to know how we can REISUB now though
    You might benefit from a new install. The ISO I got yesterday is working way better. Philinux was going to do a clean install today he said as he was also having problems with the latest kernel.
    I'm not seeing any freezing of anything currently. I realize we are way early but I've installed twice and this is the best so far.

Beans
    Distro

You might benefit from a new install. The ISO I got yesterday is working way better. Philinux was going to do a clean install today he said as he was also having problems with the latest kernel.
    I'm not seeing any freezing of anything currently. I realize we are way early but I've installed twice and this is the best so far.
    Honest .. Gnome(no effects) hasn't worked better than this. And even on legacy machines and graphics adapters. Thats why I was surprised that Unity8 from the archives would even work on gnome-no-effects. I am not being of topic here .. but what I am trying to say is that the Unity8 shell will run this tablet/phone/unity 2D like session from terminal while I am in gnome-flashback-no-effects. Perhaps it is just an anomoly in passing .. but I thought I would report it in this forum.

Regards..

Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast