Thread: Linux for PSP with GUI

Beans

Linux for PSP with GUI

Hello again peoples of the forums. I have another challenging question for you all tonight.

I like my PSP, and I like Linux, I want to have both together, but currently uClinux is not enough for what I want to do. I want Linux on PSP with a GUI that can run OpenTTD, go on the Internet and still listen to music and play videos. Even if it involves stuff with the firm ware as long as it works I'll be fine.

So, is there anything out there that is Linux and can do the above? Oh BTW, NO PORTALS! THOSE ARE LAME! (Portals are just html and flash files that you load in the psp web browser that does nothing much other then look nice and maybe play some flash games)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Linux for PSP with GUI

I seriously doubt that the PSP is beefy enough for that.

EDIT: Oops. Nevermind. A quick google search tells me I'm wrong. http://aruljohn.wordpress.com/2008/0...x-on-sony-psp/

Beans

Hi..,
    any update about how to install ubuntu in psp ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by plusnplus View Post
    Hi..,
    any update about how to install ubuntu in psp ?
    Try it.

http://aruljohn.com/info/pspubuntu/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

That is just amazing.

So its not actually a PSP port of Ubuntu that runs natively but a shell application that emulates Ubuntu. So is this essentially the same as running a virtual machine on your PSP with Ubuntu as the guest O/S?

It almost makes me want to go out and buy a PSP just to try this out lol.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Penguin View Post
    That is just amazing.

So its not actually a PSP port of Ubuntu that runs natively but a shell application that emulates Ubuntu. So is this essentially the same as running a virtual machine on your PSP with Ubuntu as the guest O/S?

plus.., that is available only on french language.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Penguin View Post
    That is just amazing.

I wouldn't say it's like virtual box, because it's basically just a graphical file manager made to look like ubuntu, if I understand it right. Still, it is pretty cool.

If you do decide to get a PSP, I wouldn't recommend buying one new for the purposes of putting custom firmware on it. The latest version of the official firmware hasn't been hacked yet, and while it might be, it's always best to be safe. Also, don't go for the go.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Linux for PSP with GUI

Guys the link you posted up there, did u see that the internet folder was showing "Sony PSP Browser"? This means its only a theme.