Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making Non-Wacom tablets work in Ubuntu12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Making Non-Wacom tablets work in Ubuntu12.04

It does sound like it is working as expected.

I've never tried patching Qt before. Since we are talking Ubuntu I guess the best thing would be to get a hold of the Qt deb package for your release of Ubuntu. Then you would patch that. That could be a bit of pain: taking the deb apart, adding a new patch to the Debian patch control, renaming the deb. etc. There are instructions on how to do that on the Ubuntu wiki. It's the kind of thing someone then posts as a PPA if they've gone to that kind of trouble. Patching and compiling Qt might be simpler but I don't know if it will work if you just use the latest tar release or clone the git repository. It likely would. You probably want to check around and see if anyone has posted instructions or a PPA. Maybe post on the bug report asking for help?

You only need to calibrate if the location of the Pen on the tablet doesn't correspond to where it should be on the monitor. If tracing the edges of the tablet also traces the monitor edges your are probably good. If you need to calibrate you could use xinput_calibrator.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    It does sound like it is working as expected.

I've never tried patching Qt before. Since we are talking Ubuntu I guess the best thing would be to get a hold of the Qt deb package for your release of Ubuntu. Then you would patch that. That could be a bit of pain: taking the deb apart, adding a new patch to the Debian patch control, renaming the deb. etc. There are instructions on how to do that on the Ubuntu wiki. It's the kind of thing someone then posts as a PPA if they've gone to that kind of trouble. Patching and compiling Qt might be simpler but I don't know if it will work if you just use the latest tar release or clone the git repository. It likely would. You probably want to check around and see if anyone has posted instructions or a PPA. Maybe post on the bug report asking for help?

You only need to calibrate if the location of the Pen on the tablet doesn't correspond to where it should be on the monitor. If tracing the edges of the tablet also traces the monitor edges your are probably good. If you need to calibrate you could use xinput_calibrator.
    well the pen is calbrated it seems, i checked all four corners. My biggest problem is - my paint, gimp doesnt recognize it at first. What i mean is...suppose the tablet is plugged in, and then i start the pc, open gimp/mypaint - gimp doesn't let me draw anything, neither with mouse, nor the pen. By selecting brush, i only get an pointer with a brush icon (normally it takes the shape of the brush selected like eclipes, or spherical) and mypaint thinks my tablet is a mouse, so until unplug and replug, it doesnt recognize pressure.
    I went to gimp edit>prefereces>input devices>extended settings>chose uc-logic>and made the mode to screen> saved and closed But everytime i start gimp it takes the core pointer as main input device and let me draw nothing.
    My mouse is not unplugged, I have both the tab and mouse plugged always.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

With these fixes, are the tablets acting like a tablet (absolute positioning)?

I have an older tablet that never worked as a tablet, but did as a mouse. Meaning that if I swipe the pen from left to right, the mouse will move from left to right but if I pick up the pen and go back to the left and swipe to the right again the cursor will move further to the right instead of reading that the pen is now on the left side of the tablet and hop the cursor to where it is located.

I haven't tried this in 12.04 so I wonder if it is fixed. That would be awesome.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    With these fixes, are the tablets acting like a tablet (absolute positioning)?

I have an older tablet that never worked as a tablet, but did as a mouse. Meaning that if I swipe the pen from left to right, the mouse will move from left to right but if I pick up the pen and go back to the left and swipe to the right again the cursor will move further to the right instead of reading that the pen is now on the left side of the tablet and hop the cursor to where it is located.

I haven't tried this in 12.04 so I wonder if it is fixed. That would be awesome.
    nah, my pen can do all those what my mouse can. just gimp 2.8 is being buggy and qt developers are not listening to users, so no pressure in krita.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by EscapedNight View Post
    nah, my pen can do all those what my mouse can. just gimp 2.8 is being buggy and qt developers are not listening to users, so no pressure in krita.
    That's the thing, I want my tablet to operate as a tablet (touch left side, cursor jumps to left side, touch right side, cursor jumps to right side) instead of like a mouse.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro

@ Dragonbite,

Once the kernel driver (usb descriptor) is fixed then the evdev.conf in xorg.conf.d tablet snippet recognizes the tablet as a tablet. And it automatically sets the tablet to Absolute mode, which is what you want, not Relative Mode like a mouse. Or the same thing happens if you use the WizardPen driver and it works for your tablet.

@ EscapedNight,

My guess is when you do the hotplug the device order gets changed and that's why Gimp picks up the pen. If you look at the output from xinput list:
    Code:
    ⎜   ↳ UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U                     id=12    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U                     id=13    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    you see the "device name" for both devices is the same. One is actually the pen and the other can be the mouse or frame buttons on the tablet. Some of the app.s like Gimp are set up to handle Wacom and the Wacom X driver appends the device type (stylus, eraser, cursor/mouse, touch) to the "device name". That way you know what to set to screen in Gimp. Fortunately usually the first UC-LOGIC device is the pen, but not always as you have found.

You can figure out which is which by running:
    Code:
    xinput list-props ID#
    Where you get the ID# from xinput list. But as you see order apparently can change.

So anyway there is a problem with the current setup. Either the app.s have to become sensitive to the flag the kernel is putting on the device type or the device type needs to be appended to the device name. We've been talking about this issue for quite a while without a solution. Not sure how likely it is the evdev maintainers would accept code to label the device type like the wacom driver has. But a few weeks ago I found a submission to the kernel's input mailing list where a dev. submitted a patch to append pen to the device name for a touch device that could also use a pen. Nick wasn't real thrilled with using similar code for UC-LOGIC because he would like a more general solution. But it looks relatively simple to me.

Easy for me to say because I wouldn't have to code or submit it. So if the kernel's input maintainers accept the other guy's patch and Nick finds some time to code and submit it we might finally have a solution.

I suspect this limitation is one reason the WizardPen driver only worked for the tablet pen and never the tablet mouse. It blocked the mouse input.

In the meantime we may be able to set up a custom .conf to block any tablet device but the pen. Do you have a tablet mouse or is the other device tablet frame buttons?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post

I suspect this limitation is one reason the WizardPen driver only worked for the tablet pen and never the tablet mouse. It blocked the mouse input.

In the meantime we may be able to set up a custom .conf to block any tablet device but the pen. Do you have a tablet mouse or is the other device tablet frame buttons?

Hi, I'm sorry for so late reply, I've been pretty busy last few days. So well I got a wireless mouse with the tablet, but i dont use it, neither I know why to use it. So it's packed in my drawer as it came, i didnt even unpack it. I am using only the tablet, the pen and my normal old mouse.

Beans
    Distro

The event node is created whether or not you are actually using the mouse because the kernel driver is aware the tablet supports a mouse. What I was thinking is we could try to prevent the input event from being created, similar to how the WizardPen .conf file does it. So the only event would be the pen event. First you'd need the custom .conf directory /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and then we could try a custom .conf in it. See: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...m_tablet_.conf If it works then when you run xinput list you would see only the one event node for the pen.

Beans

Hello,
    Maybe you can help me also. I have a monoprice tablet (WP8060U), and it seems like it is detected fine in X, as I can move the cursor around, but in Gimp if I activate it by setting mode to screen/monitor. I am unable to move the drawing cursor, just the mouse cursor. Once the tablet it activated, I cannot draw with mouse either. What can I check? This is actually in 12.10.
    Thanks,
    CP

Beans
    Distro

It sounds like the same issue. In Gimp how many entries do you see for the tablet and what are they?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12