Thread: StatPages.org WebPage

Beans

StatPages.org WebPage

I just happened across a Webpage that struck me as useful enough to post about here. It's

www.statpages.org

whose subtitle is "Web Pages that Perform Statistical Calculations!"

If you use statistics, this is well worth taking a look at.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: StatPages.org WebPage

Thanks for the post! Here're some more stat apps and good resources online, etc.:

Beans

The two most useful packages for me have been:

gretl - a full-featured econometrics and time-series analysis package
    PSPP - a clone of SPSS

Both are GPL and available in the Ubuntu repositories.

Beans
    Distro

I have PSPP installed, but I haven't used it much. I'm mostly trying to get good at R instead. (But, I have and use SPSS at work, so do most of my stats there).

Anyway, PSPP does look good, I just haven't taken the time to learn that over R.

(BTW, for R, I mostly use RKward, but supplement my GUI use with R Commander, too. I feel RKward has a better output and workspace interface, but R Commander has easier access to more analysis packages--at least at my skill level).

What do you like especially about PSPP?

Cheers

Beans

I needed to run a bunch of crosstabs and some regressions from survey data. The provider, SurveyMonkey, offers the data as an SPSS system file, so PSPP was the obvious choice.

I used to teach SPSS many years ago as part of my classes in statistics for political scientists.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ludd1te View Post
    (BTW, for R, I mostly use RKward, but supplement my GUI use with R Commander, too. I feel RKward has a better output and workspace interface, but R Commander has easier access to more analysis packages--at least at my skill level).

Cheers
    If you haven't tried Rstudio, you gotta give it a shot! It's a dream come true. You might not have heard about it because it's only a year or so old. But it's already very mature and I think it will be the choice of most users that don't use the prompt directly. www.rstudio.org

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, PGScooter. I just downloaded it and will play around with it. (I have some stats to do anyway, so why not have fun learning a new and recommended interface while doing them.)

R is great--nearly as powerful as SAS--but I have to admit my own weakness in benefiting from a friendly GUI interface.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ludd1te View Post
    Thanks, PGScooter. I just downloaded it and will play around with it. (I have some stats to do anyway, so why not have fun learning a new and recommended interface while doing them.)

R is great--nearly as powerful as SAS--but I have to admit my own weakness in benefiting from a friendly GUI interface.
    Great, let us know what you think!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PGScooter View Post
    If you haven't tried Rstudio, you gotta give it a shot! It's a dream come true. You might not have heard about it because it's only a year or so old. But it's already very mature and I think it will be the choice of most users that don't use the prompt directly. www.rstudio.org
    Many thanks, PGScooter.

RStudio looks very interesting. And, though my trials of it have been only brief so far, at least it has NOT (yet) frozen on certain tasks, unlike both RCmdr and RKWard on the Linux Mint 11 installation on my desktop.
    Last edited by rewyllys; April 9th, 2012 at 02:20 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rewyllys View Post
    Many thanks, PBScooter.

RStudio looks very interesting. And, though my trials of it have been only brief so far, at least it has NOT (yet) frozen on certain tasks, unlike both RCmdr and RKWard on the Linux Mint 11 installation on my desktop.
    Good to hear! The best thing is that their programmers seem very interested in feedback.