Page 15 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardy freezes

Beans

Re: Hardy freezes

Hi, i posted this in another thread but i think this one maybe more appropriate so i'll just copy this:

Hi, I experienced this lockups too and i've tried every solution i found on this forum but none of them solve the problem. I read that this can be 2.6.24 kernel problem so finally i compile 2.6.25 and for a day or so everything seemed to work fine. Eventually I wanted to run compiz therefore I had to install fglrx. I installed the latest version from ati, run compiz --replace and a few seconds after my system froze on 2.6.25 kernel! To confirm that it's not kernel issue I installed some older gutsy kernel (2.6.22) and after some time it also froze :/. When i was using this kernel on gutsy it never locked up so here's what i think - It's not kernel issue and not compiz couse my system freezes when compiz is off too. It seems that proprietary driver for readeons is the problem becouse my freezes started after i installed it. Compiz and things like that could be kind of a trigger for real issue.

So why freezes happens to nvidia users too? ATI/Nvidia released buggy drivers simultanously? I don't think so :/

Beans

Well, I'm an NVIDIA user, and downgrading to kernel 2.6.22 really fixed my problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by doktormiod View Post
    It seems that proprietary driver for readeons is the problem becouse my freezes started after i installed it. Compiz and things like that could be kind of a trigger for real issue.
    and NVIDIA driver issue too i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by landeel View Post
    Well, I'm an NVIDIA user, and downgrading to kernel 2.6.22 really fixed my problem.
    I guess after 2.6.22 instalation u have reinstalled NVIDIA driver too, or as minimum used other X.org (with different option).This also could give affect on stability(not only kernel)

As for me
    Mysistem works quet stable, than freez heppens ones.
    Usually i have 3-5 freezes in a week, no so many, but never the less it's irritating me

How i return mystability?
    i did 2 steps
    1) i switch off my second core in BIOS (i don't think is that a reason of unstable work,i did this in any case, my tsk was get stable work on 2.6.24 and Compiz(3d should be working))
    2) i renewed my NVIDIA driver (after that in order to get proper resolution, i reconfigured X.org, and put 2 additional string in order to avoid metacity's gone)
    After that system works stable approx. 1.5 week
    Today i'm going to switch on my second core in CPU
    If system will stay stable, it definetaly something was wrong with NVIDIA driver or it's X.org configuration
    Last edited by amdlintuxos; June 9th, 2008 at 09:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Has the freeze bug been definitely solved yet? Because I continue to have them daily....even three or four times a day. I would like a definite solution to this problem, because this has been going on for a long time now unsolved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have this same problem and I've had it since Gutsy.
    I just had a freeze 12 minutes after logging-on, and i can't find a pattern to it at all. Usually the freeze happens after a few hours.

At first I wondered if it was FF, but its frozen without that. It's also frozen on a completely fresh, vanilla install of Hardy without any updates, no nVidia proprietary driver (i have a 7900GS) and none of the compiz effects turned on.

First i lose my mouse cursor, but still have the keyboard. I can open up top, but nothing seems to be amiss there. When i try to do a ctrl+alt+f2 (or any of the f keys) everything locks up, and is only fixable with a hard reset.

Here are my specs;

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
    2GB Corsair ValueRAM
    ASUS M2N-SLi Deluxe
    Palit 7900GS 512MB
    Creative X-Fi XtremeAudio

The system is a desktop, and I don't have any wireless cards

Beans

Hi guys, this is my first post here. I'm also a linux-novice, so bear with me.

My computer freezes about once every 2-days under Hardy; never had a problem under Gutsy. I'm running a Belkin (Broadcom Chipset) card and had to do a lot of command-line monkeying around to get it to work. (It installed much easier in Gutsy, all I had to do was install the restricted driver -- this is not an option in Hardy).

I do have a suggestion that may help some people concerned with doing a "hard-restart" -- on my machine, if I simply remove the PCMCIA card the machine melts (i.e. no longer frozen). Hope that helps.

I just removed powernow (my computer doesn't have it, anyway), hopefully that will help.

My machine:

Sony Vaio PCG-fx210 (laptop)
    ATI Rage Mobility Graphics
    384 RAM
    Ubuntu - 8.0.4
    FF-3

Regards,

Zach

ps - thanks to everyone that has contributed to ubuntu, it is amazing
    Last edited by zach_denver; June 17th, 2008 at 05:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

According to launchpad, this bug has not been fixed thus yet!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zach_denver View Post

I just removed powernow (my computer doesn't have it, anyway), hopefully that will help.
    Nope, still freezes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Angry Re: Hardy freezes

Same problem here, total lock up of mouse (USB) and keyboard (PS/2 port). Gutsy ran fine but Hardy (with all newest updates) freezes occasionally, twice this morning. My system is Asus P4S8X mobo, 1 Gig ram, hard disk on SCSI, GeForce 5200 video, attached to Belkin 54g router. The freezes happened 1) with evolution when I was viewing an e-mail with multiple images and went to delete it and 2) with text editor when I was rapidly opening and closing documents. Several other applications have run without a hitch - Word Processor, Firefox (even with Zotero), Pan, PostgreSQL.

Hope this info helps and the bug gets fixed. Except for this, Hardy is great!

Beans

Just wanted to pitch back in with my good news, crashes are gone.. rock solid stable system.
    I dont know wich update did it, but i suspect it was an updated nvidia driver.

Page 15 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast