136 7.72%
Page 41 of 199 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Goat,

I was just glancing thru your posts - are you using network-manager or the built-in network-admin? try doing like compwiz says in his first post - remove wifi-radar. install or re-load network-manager and network-manager-gnome with synaptic. System --> Admin --> Synaptic Package Manager. It should be there (network-manager), but you may need to install the other repositories. Settings --> Repositories. Add multiverse and universe repos - like i said, you may not need them now, but they're handy to have for the most part.

Your motivation is admirable. don't let wireless woes keep you from it!

jc

Beans

Exclamation Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

The download link of the tarball is dead. Hopefully the poster could upload the file again. thx u

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The link works, as far as I can tell...

If you could tell me what link you are trying to use...I have a better chance of fixing it. It is also possible (though very unlikley) that the server (which is on dynamic dns) was in the one minute gap between updates when the server would be unavaliable because the IP changed. At any rate, if you have trouble, try http://218.218.54.108/bcm4318/get.php?file=bcm4318[x64][-nm].tar.gz.

The parts in [ ] are optional...for example, if you wanted the 64-bit version, use http://218.218.54.108/bcm4318/get.ph...4318x64.tar.gz
    Last edited by compwiz18; September 20th, 2006 at 10:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Wow! It worked like a piece of cake for me. Very useful post.
    But, one thing bothering me is I have downloaded the bcm4318 tar ball on to desktop and unzipped it and did all the configuration. Now the ".log" files are placed on the desktop, which is making my desktop cluttered and messy!

What happens if I move the .log files to some where into my /home directory does it affect Ndiswrapper ? If so how to tell Ndiswrapper that I have moved those .log files ?
    Registered Linux User#394486

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You shouldn't need any of the items extracted from the tarball. Everything gets modified elsewhere in the file structure. The log files are just a capture of what you see in your terminal during the install process.

jc

Beans

The link isn't working for me. I do not know. It maybe my problem. However, I try to access it through my Mac and my PC as well. It return "file not found" something like that.
    One more thing, this post work great. I can use my wifi since the first time I read this post. I just happened trashed my file somewhere. Therefore, I need a new download of that tarball.

Thank for your time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tuxy View Post
    Wow! It worked like a piece of cake for me. Very useful post.
    But, one thing bothering me is I have downloaded the bcm4318 tar ball on to desktop and unzipped it and did all the configuration. Now the ".log" files are placed on the desktop, which is making my desktop cluttered and messy!

What happens if I move the .log files to some where into my /home directory does it affect Ndiswrapper ? If so how to tell Ndiswrapper that I have moved those .log files ?
    If it worked, feel free to delete the log files - they are just for troubleshooting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ginyip View Post
    The link isn't working for me. I do not know. It maybe my problem. However, I try to access it through my Mac and my PC as well. It return "file not found" something like that.
    One more thing, this post work great. I can use my wifi since the first time I read this post. I just happened trashed my file somewhere. Therefore, I need a new download of that tarball.

Thank for your time.
    Which link isn't working? I've got 10 different ones...

anyway, a mirror:
    32-bit: http://www.box.net/public/hp6kr9np9o
    64-bit: http://www.box.net/public/sxt8yivhef
    32-bit with network manager: http://www.box.net/public/xsu1aa260d
    64-bit with network maanager: http://www.box.net/public/n9xc7jjxxj

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Angry Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Ok, I tried the suggestions given. Removed network-manager, network-manager-gnome, wifi-radar and wpasuplicant to boot. i noticed that removing wpasupplicant also removes two dependancies. re-booted. Installed netowrk-manager, which, all by it self, loaded wpasuplicant as a dependancy, but I noted it made no mention of the the two dependacies wpasuplicant mentioned on removal. then installed network-manager-gnome.

I set my keys in System > Administration > Networking >

then WEP, reboot, nada. WPA, reboot, nada. WPA2, reboot, nada. WPA-auto, nada. i thought that maybe sudo dhclient would work like ipconfig/release /renew, but if the wire is in, then it only picks up eth0 and stops. i know because I reset everything to nakid as a jay bird and tried it. In retrospect, I should have tried yanking the wire then sudo dhclient, but at that point I was so frustrated I just yanked and rebooted and I'm back, wireless and unsecured.

was network-manager-gnome supposed to give me something I could see? Because the only place I can find to change my settings is System > Administration > Networking. That is why I was excited about wifi-radar. At least I could see something and change the settings and pick the incription.

some one throw me a bone so I don't feel so usless. Like how you add those pictures to your name when you post. That should be easy enought that i can do it, even if it isn't Ubuntu. Also, I like to listen to streaming audio while I work. The one and only time i loaded the Ubuntu version of realplayer it barely worked and the built in movie player gets track information (or in my case news copy) but can not decode the audio. Anyone got a link for me to get me on the right path?

and finally, I remember that all of the suggestions here were information on how to load wpa-suplicant. Synaptics loaded wpasuplicant. Is this the same package, renamed? Or do I have to load a different one? I tried going back in the thread to pages 30-40 and didn't find it. I guess I have to go through the whole thing again, but before I do, am I backing up the wrong tree?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Das Goat View Post
    Ok, I tried the suggestions given. Removed network-manager, network-manager-gnome, wifi-radar and wpasuplicant to boot. i noticed that removing wpasupplicant also removes two dependancies. re-booted. Installed netowrk-manager, which, all by it self, loaded wpasuplicant as a dependancy, but I noted it made no mention of the the two dependacies wpasuplicant mentioned on removal. then installed network-manager-gnome.

I set my keys in System > Administration > Networking >

then WEP, reboot, nada. WPA, reboot, nada. WPA2, reboot, nada. WPA-auto, nada. i thought that maybe sudo dhclient would work like ipconfig/release /renew, but if the wire is in, then it only picks up eth0 and stops. i know because I reset everything to nakid as a jay bird and tried it. In retrospect, I should have tried yanking the wire then sudo dhclient, but at that point I was so frustrated I just yanked and rebooted and I'm back, wireless and unsecured.

was network-manager-gnome supposed to give me something I could see? Because the only place I can find to change my settings is System > Administration > Networking. That is why I was excited about wifi-radar. At least I could see something and change the settings and pick the incription.

some one throw me a bone so I don't feel so usless. Like how you add those pictures to your name when you post. That should be easy enought that i can do it, even if it isn't Ubuntu. Also, I like to listen to streaming audio while I work. The one and only time i loaded the Ubuntu version of realplayer it barely worked and the built in movie player gets track information (or in my case news copy) but can not decode the audio. Anyone got a link for me to get me on the right path?

and finally, I remember that all of the suggestions here were information on how to load wpa-suplicant. Synaptics loaded wpasuplicant. Is this the same package, renamed? Or do I have to load a different one? I tried going back in the thread to pages 30-40 and didn't find it. I guess I have to go through the whole thing again, but before I do, am I backing up the wrong tree?
    First: dhclient works like a charm with a wireless interfaces it automatically connects to the first unsecured network it finds.

Second: sudo dhclient eth1 (where eth1 is the name of your wireless interface) will make the wireless interface obtain an IP.

Third:
    iwconfig interface [essid X] [nwid N] [mode M] [freq F]
    [channel C][sens S ][ap A ][nick NN ]
    [rate R] [rts RT] [frag FT] [txpower T]
    [enc E] [key K] [power P] [retry R]
    [commit]

Try using iwconfig to set up your network, by running sudo iwlist eth1 scan (where eth1 is the wireless interface), and then enter all the settings using iwconfig, as shown above.

Fourth: If that doesn't work, can you tell me what wireless manager you are using now?

If you need more help, just leave a message. I've got to go now, so I'll try and reply this evening (Japan Standard Time)

Page 41 of 199 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast