Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: can anyone who likes the 12.xx Unity interface tell me why?

Beans

can anyone who likes the 12.xx Unity interface tell me why?

After hemming and hawing for QUITE some time, I finally decided that there were updates to certain programs that I needed that 10.04 just wouldn't run. So I bit the bullet and upgraded to 12.04, knowing all the time that Unity was the new interface. As much as I hate change, I promised I would give it a try. After 24 hours, I'm done.

This is the most confusing interface I have every used. Instead of menus, I either have to type in what I want, or scroll through 193 programs all lumped together. I can't find a "Show Desktop" icon. Running programs are added to the bottom of the sidebar, meaning for me that I have to scroll down through a dozen icons to pull up one that is "minimized". I hate the "Minimize/Maximize/Close" buttons on the left side, but I can't figure out how to get them on the right...

Can some one who LIKES unity please explain to me why? What is it that appeals to you? What am I missing?

In the meantime, I am going to try and install Gnome-Panel. Failing that, I created a backup before I "upgraded," so I'll just upgrade it back to 10.04.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: can anyone who likes the 12.xx Unity interface tell me why?

For me it is just a dock. I really like the HUD (accessed by hitting alt or the super key, I can't remember).

The 12.04 box I have is my old web development machine.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Post Re: can anyone who likes the 12.xx Unity interface tell me why?

Things I like about Unity.....
    - Keyboard centric. Just hitting the Super key and then typing the name of whatever it is I am looking for and it finds it (especially if it's something I access frequently).
    - I will admit this was slow at first, but has become much faster in later versions. (I am using 13.04, now.)
    - The ALT-TAB works well for finding minimized apps and has a Show Desktop option built in. (Although I rarely minimize.)
    - I like that when I maximize a window all the stuff I don't really need to see all the time (the menus, the titlebar) get pushed up into the bar at the top, so I have more space for the content of the application.

I do still tend to think of the launcher on the left as not much more than a launcher and I actually almost never use it. Of course you can set this up to hide itself giving you more space if you also find that it gets in the way. Since most screens have moved on to the 16x9 format the extra width means the launcher doesn't really interfere too much and to me, seems like a more logical place then on the top or bottom.

Anyway, there's my two cents. It did take some time to get used to, like anything. But now that I have made the switch I don't miss the silly application menu at all.

In the end, this is Linux and you can always find something different. That's the beauty of it. If you don't like Unity, by all means, use a different desktop. I have used xfce and it is a very good alternative.

Have fun!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Not a request for support.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans
    Distro

Unity looks nice and fancy. And for me it does just fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

As Charles mentioned...it's just a dock...that's all...like the dock on the mac...except this one is on the left instead of the bottom...Best way to use it is to put your favorite apps and most of your frequently used apps on the dock and when you need that less used app (say like the terminal for example) just start typing the first few letters in dash search and there it is...

I also make my unity dock smaller (38 pixels seems ideal to me) and auto hide of course and increase the sensitivity about 2 notches up to make it come out a bit easier...used like that, i think you will find that, after a week or two...it will be second nature and you will like it a lot...and looks cool too...
    I'd urge you to give it a fair chance before seeking out other desktop environments (or downgrading)...Many here didn't like it or were at best lukewarm at first and now we either like or even love using it (myself included)
    Last edited by craig10x; August 30th, 2013 at 05:32 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    ... I really like the HUD (accessed by hitting alt or the super key, I can't remember).
    Last time I used Unity (early 12.04), the left alt key got me the HUD for the particular program that was in focus. I don't remember what super did just by itself

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Last time I used Unity (early 12.04), the left alt key got me the HUD for the particular program that was in focus. I don't remember what super did just by itself
    You are right about the Left-Alt key bringing up HUD, and the Super key brings up the dash

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Tombrello View Post

Can some one who LIKES unity please explain to me why? What is it that appeals to you? What am I missing?
    Patience. Take the time to explore both how unity works and answers to your questions.
    Start by typing "help" in the dash.
    All these issues have been discussed ad nauseum and easily searchable.
    I make a few changes to unity and prefer it above all other desktops.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

i think the appeal is you use keyboard mostly. it involves searching for stuff you need while keeping the most used things on unity bar or whatever that side thing is called. it also saves some screen space on top by putting menues in window.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast