Thread: Double-sided file organisation with a single-sided scanner ADF?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Double-sided file organisation with a single-sided scanner ADF?

Hi all,

I've been searching around for a solution to this one, but nothing much has come up. Would really appreciate it if someone could suggest a program or more imaginative solution for what I'm trying to do.

I have a very large pile of double-sided A4 pages to scan, and an Epson BX305FW to do it on. The problem is that it's a home all-in-one unit, and so doesn't have a double-sided scanner to go with the ADF.

If I scan a batch of five two-sided pages by putting the batch in the ADF, pressing scan, and then flipping the batch over and repeating, the result comes out like this:

img01.jpg - side 1
    img02.jpg - side 3
    img03.jpg - side 5
    img04.jpg - side 7
    img05.jpg - side 9
    - flip -
    img06.jpg - side 10
    img07.jpg - side 8
    img08.jpg - side 6
    img09.jpg - side 4
    img10.jpg - side 2

Is there scanning frontend that would collate these correctly and save them in the right order? I've tried simplescan, gscan2pdf, and skanlite, but none have that functionality. Failing that, is there a file management utility that I could use to quickly rename the files to a common pattern (i.e. first sides to odd numbers, second sides to even)? I've had a look at the Mass Rename script for Nautilus, but it crashes out with a failure message.

I'm using Precise, if that helps.

Many thanks,

Vot Musik

Beans
    Distro

Re: Double-sided file organisation with a single-sided scanner ADF?

Quick bump - any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Are you sure gscan2pdf doesn't have that functionality? I've successfully used it in 12.04 to do exactly what you're describing.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    Are you sure gscan2pdf doesn't have that functionality? I've successfully used it in 12.04 to do exactly what you're describing.
    How dense of me, you're right. It hadn't occurred to me to use a negative value for "Increment" to renumber from the bottom up. Have just tried it, and it works fine.

Many thanks for the help, newb85! You've saved me many hours of worthless manual renaming. Much appreciated - thread marked as "solved".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Vot Musik View Post
    How dense of me, you're right. It hadn't occurred to me to use a negative value for "Increment" to renumber from the bottom up. Have just tried it, and it works fine.

Many thanks for the help, newb85! You've saved me many hours of worthless manual renaming. Much appreciated - thread marked as "solved".
    Glad it worked.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!