Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IRC meeting proposals

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

IRC meeting proposals

Here are the simple instructions that Dragonbite figgured out for connecting to the channel.

Worked for me last night, and was easy to get there!

Installed xchat-gnome (using Synaptic, Apt-Get, Adept, whatever)
    (may not have to do this, I just uninstalled it because I never used IRC before)
    select Connect from the menu
    select FreeNode from the list
    typed /j #ubuntu-connecticut and hit <Enter>
    Viola! I was connected!!
    So I propose our first meeting for Thursday 4/19/2007 from 8pm to 9pm (meeting can go longer, but my son will be over and I will be forced to play video games with him )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: IRC meeting proposals

Sounds good for me.

Even if people only show up for a few minutes to say "hi" it will be great!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro

I wanted to test some stuff out, but since the FW here at work won't let me, I just installed an IRC server on one of my test boxes (ircd-hybrid) and it really is quite simple to set up the channel change operators etc.

Well, hope we get more than 2 people for our first meeting ....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The forums seem rather quiet today, maybe everybody got washed way

This is also April vacation week so it could be a number of people (with kids) have gone away? Or is everybody backing up their system so they can install Feisty when it's available (I ordered my CDs!)

Oh, and of course Thursday is going to be a busy day with people downloading Feisty!
    Last edited by Dragonbite; April 17th, 2007 at 05:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I've been using feisty for quite a while now, I hate using release code, it's so damb stable.

And as soon as the alpha of Grinning Giraffe is released, I will start working on that ....

I also ordered a set, (the 3 pack, because I run a 64 bit machine and a couple of 32 bit)

But, I will be downloading the DVD with jigdo as soon as it's available also.

Well I guess if everyone is loading feisty, we might not get much action but let's give it a shot ...

Well, I have to act like I'm working for another 45 minutes, ...

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Greetings,

I'm a Connecticut resident who's been playing around with Ubuntu (Dapper and Feisty beta) as a double boot with WinXp for a couple of months. The Ubuntu forums are a little confusing to navigate, as are the web pages, so I've just found this nice niche for Connecticut folks. Since there are so few of us I'll ramble in a little introduction here so you guys will get a sense of what I'm about.

But first, about your IRC meeting. I'm a pretty proficient Win user at work and home, but honestly I've had no time to play around with stuff like RSS and IRC, and won't for a while now, so coming to this forum (or emailing/phoning/visiting) is more realistic for me. My first priority is getting my laptop to access the web wirelessly under Feisty, then I'll worry about IRC. We'll see by this weekend.

PS, when you go to download, I've found that the Australian and South African sites have very little traffic. Bittorrent is another thing I haven't had time to play with, so I just hit the "download" button and walk away for an hour...

I work at one of the CSU's and have excellent end-user knowledge of WinXP and Microsoft Office. I've read several books on Ubuntu, WinxP, and Mac OS and have a good grasp of end-user functionality but I'm not a programmer. While I like Windows I'm not happy with Microsoft's high-handedness in offering bloated Vista and expecting us to eat out of their hand, and Ubuntu has been a pleasant surprise, so I'm thinking us non-programmers might be able to make our contribution by doing some outreach (drop off free disks at libraries and community centers, set up tables at flea markets and computer shows, do show-and-tells for school computer clubs, etc.); the "Johnny Appleseed" approach. If anybody's up for that, or if there's a regional group that's coordinating that kind of thing, start a string or contact me (I've set my profile to allow contacts).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My clock says 8:16pm and I'm at #ubuntu-connecticut.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I guess our first IRC meeting was at least a partial success ...
    Dragonbite was on time, and launched the meeting.
    I joined in around 8:30 and we chatted for about an hour about "stuff"
    Maybe the next meeting we can get a couple more people !!

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I would've jumped in, but I was so caught up with Feisty goodness that it completely slipped my mind! =(
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything don't do it.

Beans
    Distro

Second official #ubuntu-connecticut IRC meeting.

I propose our second meeting for either Thursday 9pm or Wendsday 9pm.

Anyone interested ?? The last meeting was pretty much a meet and greet, which is all I am expecting for our second meeting. Maybe if we get a couple of people showing up, we can discuss some form of face to face meeting for the summer .....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast