Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ancient laptop

Beans

Re: Ancient laptop

Quote Originally Posted by gerrman97 View Post
    in my opinion, windows would be better for that. but if u want a linux distro, i think ubuntu is the best. can you give me any info on the laptop
    Ubuntu isn't light weight and that is what I want. As I've mentioned, I don't know anything about the laptop other than it's old and runs XP. It's an adventure into the unknown!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Look in to Bodhi Linux. It's Ubuntu based and uses Enlightenment 17. Blazingly fast on old hardware with the advantage of the Ubuntu repos.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Look in to Bodhi Linux. It's Ubuntu based and uses Enlightenment 17. Blazingly fast on old hardware with the advantage of the Ubuntu repos.
    I will, thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hello Bo; Just wondering, is it possible to configure your SSD to external usb drive?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    Hello Bo; Just wondering, is it possible to configure your SSD to external usb drive?
    Not a clue, a friend dumped it on me yesterday I'm the guy people dump old hardware on...
    Wouldn't I just need to get an empty USB-drive chassis and install it. I have one for ide, is it any different for SATA?

It seems to be a Corsair cssd-f120gb2
    Last edited by Bo Rosén; October 17th, 2012 at 07:07 PM.

Beans

A follow up question. I didn't expect it, but I've grown quite fond of Unity and find I use the keyboard a lot more now to start applications and locate files. I barely use the launcher really and only have a couple of icons on the desktop itself (a couple of windows games).

Are there alternatives that are good for an old laptop? If so, do any distributions come with them as default?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Rosén View Post
    I don't know the model, but let's just assume it's ancient, it runs XP and that is something I plan to fix.
    Once you receive it post the make, model & specs here. Otherwise we are just taking a stab in the dark.

I also have a 120gb SSD lying around, though I've no idea if it's possible to install it.
    If the laptop is really old then it would have a PATA interface which is not so common on SSDs. Majority of SSDs are SATA but there are exceptions.

Anyway, which light-weight distro do you suggest, and more importantly 'why'?
    Crunchbang, Archbang, Fuduntu (laptop orientated). A netinstall of Ubuntu with lxde or xfce might suffice. Same goes for Arch.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Once you receive it post the make, model & specs here. Otherwise we are just taking a stab in the dark.
    I will, my OP was mainly to get some initial suggestions and ideas.

Majority of SSDs are SATA but there are exceptions.
    This one is SATA.

Crunchbang, Archbang, Fuduntu (laptop orientated). A netinstall of Ubuntu with lxde or xfce might suffice. Same goes for Arch.
    Excellent, thank you. I'll check them out.

Beans

Sounds like a neat little project. I wonder how many people are willing to get rid of old comps that you can toy around with to learn new things. I might try something like this for a little project to keep myself busy.

Beans

This one is SATA.
    Yes but the interface on the laptop is the main concern here, if it's PATA then you can't use that SSD.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast