Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to stop spams in email?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

how to stop spams in email?

my yahoo mail receives many trashes from 'president of nigeria, fbi, police, etc.how do u stop them?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: how to stop spams in email?

You can't really stop them, just set them to go to the spam bin. If it gets real bad, use another email account for important email and only let those that would send you important email have that address.

SPAM Primer

Beans
    Hidden!

Did someone mention Yahoo?

One option might be to organize your own email server, forward your Yahoo mail to your server, and reject email from any sender that you haven't whitelisted. That way, Yahoo is left with a bunch of spam that they have to take responsibility for.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I don't use Yahoo but did not know it was that bad. Doesn't Yahoo have spam filtering? I use two different service providers and the spam filters are pretty good. You have to go through the process of training them, though.

Beans

Why is this tagged lubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    I don't use Yahoo but did not know it was that bad. Doesn't Yahoo have spam filtering? I use two different service providers and the spam filters are pretty good. You have to go through the process of training them, though.
    I've had several Yahoo accounts for years. They do have spam filtering but.......

There are one or two issues I've seen over the years, including the hijacking of accounts from at least two ISPs in the last 12 months. And then there's the amount of spam they allow in. I've lost count of the number of spam messages I've received via Yahoo which could have been blocked with a simple DNSBL test or a check that it's "from" a genuine Yahoo account.

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Why is this tagged lubuntu?
    I don't know. Perhaps the OP uses lubuntu.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Doesn't Yahoo have spam filtering?
    Yep

And it works really well for me. I have not had any trouble with normal mail sorted to spam or spam in my Yahoo inbox.

The Yahoo spam directory does fill up - but it clears it's self between log in's, and you can also empty the spam directory by hitting it's trash icon.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    ...I've lost count of the number of spam messages I've received via Yahoo which could have been blocked with a simple DNSBL test or a check that it's "from" a genuine Yahoo account.
    I see. So, their spam filtering has holes. Can Yahoo mail be funnelled through a client like Thunderbird? If so, perhaps the OP can install Bogofilter or SpamAssassin and filter twice. This is what I do to my Gmail account and it seems to work quite well. I rarely get any spam coming through.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yahoo Mails spam filter is horrendous. I had to give up two Yahoo mail accounts because of this. I also had one of my accounts hacked, twice, despite having strong passwords and never logging in on a machine other than my own. Once my account was hacked, it was used to send spam messages to thousands of other Yahoo mail accounts. This plus the fact that they forced their users to move to the new Yahoo mail and at the same time forced them to agree to a new terms of use which allowed them to spy on their users to gain marketing information made me more then a little pissed off at them. About a year ago, I gave up on Yahoo all together. I have no more Yahoo accounts, all forms of Yahoo cookies are blacklisted, and I never visit any Yahoo related site. I hope that company crashes, burns, and then burns again.

Anyway, to get back to the point, there is nothing you can do. You can report the spam, but that never seemed to do much. Its probably only going to get worse. When I left yahoo, I was getting 200 spam messages a day with about 1/4 of it ending up in my regular mail box. I changed to Fastmail and in the last year, I think I got junk mail in my inbox once or twice and my junk mailbox never has more than one or two messages.

Beans
    Hidden!

As well as having one or two of my Yahoo accounts compromised in the last couple of years, some of the people I know were impacted by a horrible mess with Yahoo connections. I believe BT were affected by a similar mess, but responded differently.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    My Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast