Page 1 of 82 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread

The objective of this tutorial is to provide a simple, but comprehensive, list of optimizations for Firefox and help with troubleshooting common issues.

The tutorial is currently hosted on my web site. For questions and support is preferable that you post on this thread.

Table of Contents
    Last edited by lovinglinux; April 24th, 2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: table of contents linking to hosted tutorial

Beans

Re: Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread

Great thread! When I first started testing firefox 3.5 using an alpha version of Jaunty (3 maybe 2) it seemed much faster. It seems something happened to Jaunty that slowed it down. I did not add or change firefox. Did anyone else get the same impression?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've been having an issue with firefox reverting to backed up bookmarks on close, I wasn't able to find a profiles folder (I assume all this is in .mozilla right?), but I did find many files labled as such: places.sqlite-#.corrupt, and there were 83 of them numbered 1-83 in the folder .mozilla/firefox/kmhbvuwv.default . I also saw a filed called profiles.ini sitting in .mozilla/firefox but other than that no profiles folder.

I deleted all the .corrupt places.sqlite files that I found, but all that happened was the icons next to all my bookmarks were lost, and still reverted back to the backup

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by v1nsai View Post
    I've been having an issue with firefox reverting to backed up bookmarks on close, I wasn't able to find a profiles folder (I assume all this is in .mozilla right?), but I did find many files labled as such: places.sqlite-#.corrupt, and there were 83 of them numbered 1-83 in the folder .mozilla/firefox/kmhbvuwv.default . I also saw a filed called profiles.ini sitting in .mozilla/firefox but other than that no profiles folder.

I deleted all the .corrupt places.sqlite files that I found, but all that happened was the icons next to all my bookmarks were lost, and still reverted back to the backup
    The profile folder is .mozilla/firefox/kmhbvuwv.default

Delete all places.sqlite-#.corrupt just in case, but the one that is important is the places.sqlite without #.corrupt in the name. Just delete it and start Firefox again. It should fix the problem.

The file profiles.ini has nothing to do with your problem. It is the file that lists all profiles you have, but I think you have just one. Anyway, don't delete it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ah, I see. Anyway, I deleted places.sqlite about 3 times now, created a new bookmark, then closed and reopened and my bookmark has yet to make it through the restart. I've noticed that my history disappears every time I delete it, but my bookmarks still revert. Would deleting the cached .json file that I restored from do anything?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I think I solved it, I mv'ed my .mozilla folder to .mozillabak and then restored my bookmarks from the recent backup and then added a few new ones. Everything has persisted, even through a full system startup.

Weird...but solved. What does places.sqlite do?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by v1nsai View Post
    I think I solved it, I mv'ed my .mozilla folder to .mozillabak and then restored my bookmarks from the recent backup and then added a few new ones. Everything has persisted, even through a full system startup.

Weird...but solved. What does places.sqlite do?
    Just for the record, you could have moved/renamed/deleted only the firefox folder inside .mozilla and the effect would be the same. All Mozilla applications, like Thunderbird or Sunbird, stores their profiles inside .mozilla, so deleting/moving the entire .mozilla folder is not recommended/needed, because it would reset all Mozilla program settings, not only Firefox.

The places.sqlite file is a database where bookmarks and browsing history are stored.

Beans

For the "Font too small.." problem (issue on big Plasmas and projectors typically), I recommend the "NoSquint" addon, with it set to apply a 20% increase on all pages (NoSquint's default mode is to remember specific pages).
    http://urandom.ca/nosquint/

This is better than changing the font size as it scales the whole page (images too), making it less likely to have overlapping or truncated text.

Now, if anyone could advise how to get Backspace working as a "Back" button like on other platform FF builds, I would be happy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I haven't tried really anything in this thread yet, however just wanted to thank your for the time that went into preparing the advice in the guide. Very informative and a job well done!

Beans

The "general system optimization" tips section in there is completely superfluous. It also happens to be full of misinformation, I'd just remove it or splice it out to another thread if I were you.

Page 1 of 82 1231151 ... LastLast