Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rip and shrink DVDs with K9Copy

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Rip and shrink DVDs with K9Copy

I'm very happy to have a native DVD Shrinker, but I already have some problems with it, usability wise.

Let me say first, that so far, the thing works, I have successfully shrunk 2/3 DVD's to .iso

K9Copy (repository version)
    1. The interface is clean, but it's too stripped down. The open button should be more clearly reserved for reading the CD. There must be a better icon to use for that, and it should be called READ DISK or something, to be more obvious.

2. When I tried to save the file to my media drive, I was told that I can only save files locally, and the window closed. There was no way of bringing the read DVD back into the k9copy interface. I saw what would seem to be the right folder in /tmp/kde-nalmeth, but the files were way to small to be right.
    The work was lost effectively. I'll try to file a bug if this isn't fixed in the newer version.

3. When I went through copying the disk again, I saved it "locally" in my /home. Then to my suprise a window pops up saying "Burning to DVD".

This threw me off, because typically that would mean you're burning to a DVD. Or so I would think.
    I saw that my drive wasn't trying to do anything, and knew I already had a written disk in the drive, so I left it. At the end, the .iso is sitting where I wanted it.

Suffice to say, I really think the wording of the saving window should be "Ripping to .iso", or just "ripping". Anything but burning, you're doing the opposite. And as I said I think the Open button should be more clearly related to READING THE DISK. I guess all in all it's just a bit of an immature interface. The important thing is that it does the job.

I like how you can burn the shrunken image right in the same interface, but since I don't have a working burner ATM I haven't been able to test it.

I'd like to try the new one out to see if anything with the interface has changed.

Anyone else a little confused by k9copy at first?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hey guys, sorry about neglecting the thread for awhile. I have gone back to the wiki and compiled a .deb for the new version of K9Copy. Hopefully this will save the time and effort of compiling while resolving the issues you guys are having.

Enjoy!

Edit: The .deb is located at http://thepiratecove.org/files/k9cop...2_2-1_i386.deb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by eqisow
    Hey guys, sorry about neglecting the thread for awhile. I have gone back to the wiki and compiled a .deb for the new version of K9Copy. Hopefully this will save the time and effort of compiling while resolving the issues you guys are having.

Enjoy!

Edit: The .deb is located at http://thepiratecove.org/files/k9cop...2_2-1_i386.deb
    eh i dl the deb and installed it but how do i run k9copy in gnome ubuntu?
    Last edited by Kouya; June 22nd, 2006 at 11:57 AM.
    To serve your King.

~Dual booting XP and Ubuntu~ Who says Linux is not a viable desktop OS?!

Beans

Enjoy!

there are two problems with this deb for me.
    1. To run it after install I have to do
    Code:
    /usr/local/kde/bin/k9copy
    it is not in the PATH because I am on Ubuntu.

Secondly, I have an error regarding vamps:
    Code:
    An error occured while running DVDAuthor:
    vamps: Fatal: write to stdout: No such file or directory
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thanks mate it works great. I just want to know does it work when I rip a Blockbuster DVD to ISO file as I tested it with home made dvd.
    Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

rado_london, it will work for commercial (Blockbuster) DVD's if you follow the instructions under the "Activate support for encrypted DVDs" section of the wiki.

Kouya and foxy123, to fix the issue with running K9Copy in Gnome, run the following command:
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/local/kde/bin/k9copy /usr/local/bin/k9copy
    I updated the wiki to address this problem.

foxy123, I'm afraid I'm not sure about your error message. I will have to look into it.
    Last edited by eqisow; July 4th, 2006 at 01:41 AM.

Beans

foxy123, I'm afraid I'm not sure about your error message. I will have to look into it.
    Thanks a lot. Though it is solved by running k9copy with sudo. But still I would prefer to run it as a normal user.
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10

Beans

THAT is beautiful

dvdshrink is about the only reason i'm still keeping windows around
    +1 for ubuntu

Beans

I just re-installed ubuntu and can't get k9copy working again.

I followed the instructions on the wiki to get the latest version.

Here is what appears to be my problem:

Please send bug report - no VTS_TMAPT ??

Any ideas what that is all about, or what I may be doing wrong?
    I could copy the entire output if I needed to, but didn't want to fill up the thread with it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Hey all, nice wiki and thread. But I am having a problem burning. I have dapper and all the latest software for k9copy. I save to an iso then go to burn and I get an error saying that there is not enough space on the disk. This can not be the dvd's are 4.7 gb and the iso is only 4.4 gb. I also tryed to use k3b to burn and I get the same problem. Does any one know how to fix this?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast