Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best linux gaming Distro?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What is the best linux gaming Distro?

This probably will be a very annoying question for some users, but frankly I don't care.

What is the best for linux; I know windows is ideal but if you mention it I will pulverize you!

I understand that gaming is a shaky subject for ubuntu but bear with me; Oh and mods this isn't a topic for wine as I'm not talking about ubuntu I'm talking about linux/unix os's in general.

Again, What is the most versatile gaming linux os; not just for windows games but all games in general?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: What is the best linux gaming Distro?

I'm not sure your question has a valid answer. In the case of linux native games all distributions should play them equally well; each has access to the same software.

There are certain distros that will not game well, such as gNewSense, which are restricted by design to only free software.. so things like the ATI and Nvidia drivers are not permissible.

But nobody has a design edge, unless you want to venture into the topics you forbade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

The best gaming distro is the distro you like. Benearth all the distros it's pretty much the same.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by OgreProgrammer View Post
    I'm not sure your question has a valid answer.
    I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. There is no meaningful difference between any of the major distros in terms of gaming.

The most you could say is that it's best to stick with a "major" distro rather than one of the smaller ones, just because it will give you access to larger and more complete software repositories, which means more native games available in the repos, and more tools for non-native games available in the repos as well.

So I guess that would be Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva, or debian proper. Of course, even that is bordering on irrelevant to the question.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

BAH! if you ask me the reason no major games are made open source/ backwards compatible with all machines is the same reason we still use oil to power the world >.< I hate this planet... I seriously do How can I love it when I'm wading through ****.. seriously.. this planet sucks.. computers... people ... EVERYTHING... would it kill microsoft to be flexible? would it kill the ****ing rich oil riggers to use alternatives to oil even if they aren't as good?...
    Last edited by pr0t3g3; May 25th, 2010 at 09:13 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Become a politician, try and change things, or can it.

Op: I think Ubuntu is one of the best gaming distros, simply because of the user base.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Become a politician, try and change things, or can it.

Op: I think Ubuntu is one of the best gaming distros, simply because of the user base.
    ... ... . . become a politician? There are better ways to beat the system than from the inside: simply destroy it...

Besides that... becoming a politician doesn't mean you can control the media... >.< the hell am I saying... nevermind... your statement is inert.. the same way no sane politician would reinstate the draft; they won't change the way we experience media... if nothing else your comment was just as stupid as mine. T_T barbs aside.. seriously.. screw politics.. what I would give for a bunch of top-of-the-line programmers and hardware manufactures to get together and make a powerful inexpensive pc... The more I think about it the more sense it makes...why hasn't that happened yet?
    Last edited by pr0t3g3; May 25th, 2010 at 09:27 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I hear linux mint is a more polished version of ubuntu... does the gaming experience differ or is it the same as ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Why do I even click on your threads?..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    why do i even click on your threads?..
    lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know buddy maybe cause you love me so much

besides.. this thread is meaningless.. you click on the threads I need no help with, .. not really anyways.. here take a crack at this if you can:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1491810

I recommend that you make better use of yours AND my own time by not posting random, useless, insulting garbage, on my threads. For the record, your signature is disgusting.. I know that you did it to spite me. you didn't have it until shortly after I joined and posted on my first thread. Since then you have posted alot of hate mail to me and a bunch of my friends.. I tried to make peace with you .. but you just keep shitting on my threads.. leave me and others associated with me the hell ALONE!
    Last edited by pr0t3g3; May 26th, 2010 at 05:04 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast