Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: [Edgy] Fix crashes with Xgl+fglrx on r200 cards (e.g., Mobility Radeon 9000)

Beans

Re: Howto: [Edgy] Fix random xgl crashes with Mobility Radeon 9000 + fglrx

I am a new user to linux, and I have finally installed beryl. I have logged in under Xgl Session, and it has already crashed once.
    I don't understand how I can check if I even have beryl, and how I can check if my Xgl is working properly, and lastly how can I install the patch that you have written.

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

* Check whether you have beryl - press and hold down Ctrl and Alt keys and press left. Does you see the "desktop cube" rotate? If so, you have beryl installed properly and running.
    * Check if your Xgl is working properly? Well, if beryl works and you are using the proprietary ATI drivers (fglrx) then your Xgl must be working as beryl does not work with fglrx without Xgl.
    * How to install my patch? I need some more info, are you using dapper or edgy? If you are using edgy, all you have to do is download the modified deb I made using the link I provided in a (much earlier I think) post. Firefox should open it in Archive Manager, and from there you should be able to double click on the "deb" file and it will open GDebi which will let you install it by click on an install button and entering your password.

Btw, what were you doing when it crashed?

Misha

Quote Originally Posted by akshaymodi View Post
    I am a new user to linux, and I have finally installed beryl. I have logged in under Xgl Session, and it has already crashed once.
    I don't understand how I can check if I even have beryl, and how I can check if my Xgl is working properly, and lastly how can I install the patch that you have written.

Thanks in advance

Beans

Does the .deb package listed in the first post here contain the most updated patch/fix?

DA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Yes

Misha

Quote Originally Posted by docanime View Post
    Does the .deb package listed in the first post here contain the most updated patch/fix?

DA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I can't download the patch! *cry*
    It says Geocitie's site unavailable!

Btw, how do I install dpatch file?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

As I mentioned near the URL I think, it's just the way geocities is working. You have to right click, Copy Link Location, then paste it in the address field to go to that address. I think that's how geocities stops people from hosting files on their site. Sorry. But it will work.

Misha

Quote Originally Posted by St3althcAt View Post
    I can't download the patch! *cry*
    It says Geocitie's site unavailable!

Btw, how do I install dpatch file?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by misha680 View Post

Anyhow, the deb is in a zip file at the following URL (too big to attach):

http://www.geocities.com/misha680/xgl-edgy.zip

your link is no more pointing to any archive ,could you post it somewhere else ?please?
    .............sorry It worked like you said with copy/pasting the link ,besides I tried glxinfo in the shell and surprise ........it didn't change a damned thing the x server still crashes!
    Last edited by blakken; November 15th, 2006 at 02:55 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I am sorry it did not work for you. Are you experiencing crashes with OpenGL apps (which this is not designed to fix) or otherwise?

THanks
    Misha

Quote Originally Posted by blakken View Post

your link is no more pointing to any archive ,could you post it somewhere else ?please?
    .............sorry It worked like you said with copy/pasting the link ,besides I tried glxinfo in the shell and surprise ........it didn't change a damned thing the x server still crashes!

Beans

Hi Misha!

Do you have any idea how to fix the crash for OpenGL apps?

Here to reproduce the crash I run 'mplayer -vo gl2 file.avi'

and my Xgl crashes coming back to the login screen.

My laptop is a Dell D600 with 32Mb video card below:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 Lf [FireGL 9000] (rev 02)

Thanks for any help!!!

Felipe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi, unfortunately I currently do not know how to fix this. However, if I have some time, I could look into it, as it would be fairly easy to debug now that I have lots of experience debugging the other crashes. Mplayer with xv actually works great with Xgl, except Edgy uses Xorg 7.1 and Xv does not work at all with the latest version of fglrx drivers for r200 chipsets on Xorg 7.1. As for other opengl apps, you can run them on display :0, i.e.,

Code:
    DISPLAY=:0 google-earth
    for example, although then you lose the advantage of having a window manager for these apps.

Anyhow, that's all for now. If I have time I will look into it later althoguh I suspect it is yet another fglrx bug that might be "wrapped-arounable" in Xgl but probably cannot really be "fixed."

Misha

Quote Originally Posted by fsalum View Post
    Hi Misha!

Do you have any idea how to fix the crash for OpenGL apps?

Here to reproduce the crash I run 'mplayer -vo gl2 file.avi'

and my Xgl crashes coming back to the login screen.

My laptop is a Dell D600 with 32Mb video card below:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 Lf [FireGL 9000] (rev 02)

Thanks for any help!!!

Felipe

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast