Page 47 of 543 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

I've also tried building it, but for that I also had to dig up the source for libdrm-poulsbo1. I did mostly the same as you, added all the blino patches, and did a debuild. In the end, the result was the same. X didn't start, and I even managed to start login in a text console, but the automatic retries to launch X ended borking up the system, needing a magic-sysreq to reboot.
    I'll have to check building every package now, with blino's patches instead of ours.
    Got a source ppa from where I can download them (the sources) with ease?

Ah, and for the people using the vesa driver, you can get 1366x768 by adding to /etc/grub.d/40-custom the lines that shaoxuan added to another thread:
    Code:
    insmod 915resolution
    915resolution 5c 1366 768
    set gfxmode=1366x768
    Then edit /etc/default/grub and add a line with "GRUB_GFXMODE=1366x768", then run "update-grub". On next reboot you'll have 1366x768 resolution in X, even if slow, at least it looks better.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbernardo View Post
    Got a source ppa from where I can download them (the sources) with ease?
    (Ubuntu mobile ppa)
    https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mobile..._filter=jaunty

or

(Milone ppa.. libdrm-poulsbo good depencencies)
    https://launchpad.net/~albertomilone...ulsbo-graphics

or from my gma500_sources.tar.gz:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/Gma5...sources.tar.gz

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thanks, I'll boot into lucid and try now some patch variations... If it only gave any output on my machine when it hangs!

Beans

Ah, and for the people using the vesa driver, you can get 1366x768 by adding to /etc/grub.d/40-custom the lines that shaoxuan added to another thread:
    Code:
    insmod 915resolution
    915resolution 5c 1366 768
    set gfxmode=1366x768
    Then edit /etc/default/grub and add a line with "GRUB_GFXMODE=1366x768", then run "update-grub". On next reboot you'll have 1366x768 resolution in X, even if slow, at least it looks better.
    …then put your netbook/laptop in suspend mode (either STR or STD, no difference here), wake it up and enjoy watching X restart destroying all your unsaved work.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by nekr0z View Post
    …then put your netbook/laptop in suspend mode (either STR or STD, no difference here), wake it up and enjoy watching X restart destroying all your unsaved work.
    I left my acer 0751h laptop harddisk installation at 9.04 so that all the peripheral hardware would continue working.

I installed 10.04 onto an 8gb memory stick for testing this knowing that there would be problems with the new drivers.

Once 10.04 is working properly on that memory stick, I will then upgrade the installation on the internal hard drive.

As has been said many times, intel and whoever has the proprietary drivers haven't yet stepped up their game to cover lucid lynx yet!

I also want to play with the deb package a bit. I have been a long time developer, but never have built packages.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Would be great if this works on lucid, will give the script a go later and post any usefull information I can (not a developer so best I can do is help test/debug)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Well, I just built the packages with the mandriva patches, and still no go. There is nothing in xorg.0.log, and the psb module doesn't get loaded. I am wondering if it has anything to do with mandriva installing the module with a different name (psb-drm)? I'll try to check the patches to see if they hardcode the module path, or anything like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm not updating to 10.04 until a working Poulsbo driver is on the PPA. I did try Beta 1 after reading that the GMA500/Poulsbo drivers would be support, but there was nothing, other than upgraded NVidia and ATI drivers.
    I have tried Mandriva after hearing that the Poulsbo drivers worked out of the box and under Xorg 1.7, but I soon put Ubuntu 9.10 back on my Netbook as I prefer this OS and till now Canonical have been awesome. If the Poulsbo drivers cannot be done, what are we, the owners of Netbooks with Poulsbo chipsets inside to do, after April next year? If the only answer is go back to Microsoft, I'd rather throw everything in the bin, than pay over the odds for an OS that is a Virus Magnet, and that's exactly what I was told to do last night on the #Ubuntu+1 IRC channel, which I thought was disgusting!!

I have faith that something will be fixed, and I will wait patiently......

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Well, finaly I seem to have made some advance. One of the problems was enabling visibility, as blino wrote on his blog. To do that, I changed debian/rules. I made other changes before to make it load the patches in debian/patches, and it now needs quilt, but the relevant line is the CFLAGS:
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/make -f

QUILT_STAMPFN = quilt-stamp

include /usr/share/quilt/quilt.make

#Not needed, as libdrm-poulsbo1 redirects the relevant files from /usr/include to /usr/include/psb, and installs directly in /usr/lib
    #export DRI_CFLAGS="-I/usr/include/psb -I/usr/include/psb/drm -I/usr/include/X11/dri"
    #LDFLAGS:=-L/usr/share/psb/lib -ldrm

# change visibility back to default so that psb can find mmCreateDRM in libmm 
    CFLAGS+=-fvisibility=default

build: build-stamp
    build-stamp:  patch
            dh build
            touch build-stamp

clean: unpatch
            dh $@

install: build install-stamp
    install-stamp:
            dh install
            grep PCI_CHIP src/psb_driver.h | sed -e 's/^.*0x/8086/g' > $(CURDIR)/debian/xserver-xorg-video-psb/usr/share/xserver-xorg/pci/psb.ids
            touch install-stamp

binary-arch: install
            dh $@

binary-indep: install
            dh $@

binary: binary-arch binary-indep
    Now, it won't hang my system, but fails loading dri. The relevant lines from Xorg.0.log are here. Blino mentions that in recent mesa versions, _glapi_set_warning_func() was removed upstream, so it might need a new workaround. I wonder if that is it?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Now, it won't hang my system, but fails loading dri. The relevant lines from Xorg.0.log are here. Blino mentions that in recent mesa versions, _glapi_set_warning_func() was removed upstream, so it might need a new workaround. I wonder if that is it?
    Nope, I added the stub, and it still failed the same way. I am stuck now, any xorg expert that can help here, what should I check for? It is obvious that dri isn't getting initialized, but why and where?

Page 47 of 543 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast