Page 110 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1117

Thread: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

I did a fresh install of 12.04 today on my t101mt, and the only problem I've run into so far is that I can't actually tap the taskbar of any window that uses the default XFCE taskbar. When using Google Chrome, which uses a custom one, I can click the minimise, maximise and exit buttons, however if I'm just browsing folders, using firefox, or any application which uses the default minimise, maximise and close buttons, I can't tap them with the touchscreen to close the window. It just doesn't tap. I also can't drag, or interact with these taskbars in any fashion. Is there something I'm just missing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by coffen View Post
    Anyone got 12.04 working OK with first gen touch screen?

There seems to be some hickups with second gen.
    I'm currently running 10.10 on my first gen and would like to hear comments about 12.4 before updating/re-installing.
    I have not been able to use the touchscreen well in 12.04. I can't really click things, closing the lid kills it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Post Re: Ubuntu on Eee PC T101MT

Hello!
    Quote Originally Posted by variona View Post
    My status report:

• I upgraded to 12.04 too.

• I can confirm that there is no input rotation in left and right mode (latest version of touchrotate script from Plippo (package egalax-multitouch-driver-common 0.3.0-ppa2)).

• Twofing works (I use --click=first option).

I suggest to use ExpressGate/Rotate button as mouse right click ('xdotool click 3' for right click emulation or 'xdotool key 135' for Menu keyboard button). Acpi event files are in attachment, they work faster than while loop in touchrotate.

I use Gnome Classic. It seems that twofing works strange in it. When I press Applications menu (Menu Bar applet) first level appears, but next levels (for example Applications > Accessories) blinks and disappears. I can navigate these menus only if I hold finger on screen and move it from upper levels to lower ones. I tried --click=center and --click=second. It is not an issue.
    Main Menu applet (only Ubuntu circle) works normaly.

For easy scrolling with finger I removed 'overlay-scrollbar', 'liboverlay-scrollbar' and 'liboverlay-scrollbar3' and changed GTK theme - make scrollbars wider and removed steppers by gtkrc and gtk.css. The idea is set the following values in gtk-2.0/gtkrc
    Code:
        GtkScrollbar::has-backward-stepper = 0
        GtkScrollbar::has-forward-stepper = 0

GtkScrollbar::min-slider-length = 20
        GtkScrollbar::slider-width = 20
    and these in gtk-3.0/gtk.css
    Code:
    GtkScrollbar {
        -GtkRange-stepper-size: 0;
        -GtkRange-slider-width: 20px;
    }
    I edited Evolve theme (gtk-2.0/gtkrc lines 59-60, 63-64, gtk-3.0/gtk.css lines 3-6). It is in attachment.

I tried to create small flowchart in LibreOffice Draw with stylus. Positioning is bad, I can't move connector lines. Recalibrating touch screen does not help. So it seems T101MT in tablet mode is not designed for content creation.

variona,
    do you have any problems with hibernate? When I try to hibernate my T101MT, it shuts down, not hibernates. I have swap partition and correct resume option in kernel cmdline (followed this and this guides).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by N0rbert; September 22nd, 2012 at 09:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by N0rbert View Post
    Hello!

• I upgraded to 12.04 too.

• I can confirm that there is no input rotation in left and right mode (latest version of touchrotate script from Plippo (package egalax-multitouch-driver-common 0.3.0-ppa2)).

• Twofing works (I use --click=first option).

I suggest to use ExpressGate/Rotate button as mouse right click ('xdotool click 3' for right click emulation or 'xdotool key 135' for Menu keyboard button). Acpi event files are in attachment, they work faster than while loop in touchrotate.

I use Gnome Classic. It seems that twofing works strange in it. When I press Applications menu (Menu Bar applet) first level appears, but next levels (for example Applications > Accessories) blinks and disappears. I can navigate these menus only if I hold finger on screen and move it from upper levels to lower ones. I tried --click=center and --click=second. It is not an issue.
    Main Menu applet (only Ubuntu circle) works normaly.

For easy scrolling with finger I removed 'overlay-scrollbar', 'liboverlay-scrollbar' and 'liboverlay-scrollbar3' and changed GTK theme - make scrollbars wider and removed steppers by gtkrc and gtk.css. The idea is set the following values in gtk-2.0/gtkrc
    Code:
        GtkScrollbar::has-backward-stepper = 0
        GtkScrollbar::has-forward-stepper = 0

GtkScrollbar::min-slider-length = 20
        GtkScrollbar::slider-width = 20
    and these in gtk-3.0/gtk.css
    Code:
    GtkScrollbar {
        -GtkRange-stepper-size: 0;
        -GtkRange-slider-width: 20px;
    }
    I edited Evolve theme (gtk-2.0/gtkrc lines 59-60, 63-64, gtk-3.0/gtk.css lines 3-6). It is in attachment.

I tried to create small flowchart in LibreOffice Draw with stylus. Positioning is bad, I can't move connector lines. Recalibrating touch screen does not help. So it seems T101MT in tablet mode is not designed for content creation.

variona,
    do you have any problems with hibernate? When I try to hibernate my T101MT, it shuts down, not hibernates. I have swap partition and correct resume option in kernel cmdline (followed this and this guides).
    Is that so? For me, twofing does not function, nor does multitouch, but recently ubuntu updated some tablet-related packages and the kernel seems to handle the screen perfectly, even has pressure sensitivity. I haven't worked on it lately, but mypaint has considered touches to all be one line for a while now... Getting the z issue.

Pantheon-session has also added life to this old tablet. Elementary has a great suite of lightweight applications, and I don't have to worry about unity's inconsistent handling of touch input.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

mrspacklecrisp, thank you. Elementary looks interesting. Installed it from their ppa (ppa:elementary-os/daily). It looks like a hybrid of Gnome 3 and Unity.
    But it's not touch friendly. May be KDE Plasma Active became more useful.

I have 2nd Gen T101MT, so there are no problems with twofing.

offtopic: I got the best user experience on T101MT with android-x86 asus-laptop CD image (android-x86-4.0-RC2-asus_laptop.iso) installed to SD card.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    I did a fresh install of 12.04 today on my t101mt, and the only problem I've run into so far is that I can't actually tap the taskbar of any window that uses the default XFCE taskbar. When using Google Chrome, which uses a custom one, I can click the minimise, maximise and exit buttons, however if I'm just browsing folders, using firefox, or any application which uses the default minimise, maximise and close buttons, I can't tap them with the touchscreen to close the window. It just doesn't tap. I also can't drag, or interact with these taskbars in any fashion. Is there something I'm just missing?
    Follow us on this bug report: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9327

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by N0rbert View Post
    mrspacklecrisp, thank you. Elementary looks interesting. Installed it from their ppa (ppa:elementary-os/daily). It looks like a hybrid of Gnome 3 and Unity.
    But it's not touch friendly. May be KDE Plasma Active became more useful.

I have 2nd Gen T101MT, so there are no problems with twofing.

offtopic: I got the best user experience on T101MT with android-x86 asus-laptop CD image (android-x86-4.0-RC2-asus_laptop.iso) installed to SD card.
    I've gotten twofing to work now. Mypaint z-stroke problem is still happening. It's not a hybrid of anything, it's a small set of really fast, efficient software. It can be made gorgeous, and for me it's very touch friendly, especially now that I have twofing working. Android is a lot of fun, even if crippling in some ways and a total battery hog. Did you manage to make a persistent drive? If so, how'd you do it? Also, we desperately need to update the wiki.

Beans

hey all,
    I'm rather new to Ubuntu, though I've had my 101mt for some time now. I'm wondering, is it possible to change the resolution to 1024x768? When I'm running windows I am able to go through regedit and add that custom resolution even though it is over the normal settings. I am having a heck of a time figuring out how to do the same thing in ubuntu!

I also tried the toggle-zoom thing to allow me to see things that are just off the screen, but I'm still not able to move my mouse all the way to the very corner, so what's the use?

I'm also trying to assign the toggle zoom command to the express gate button for ease of use. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beans

Ok, didnt see this posted elsewhere on here so I'll do it, hopefully it hasnt already been covered.

Got the touchscreen working when the screen is rotated.

First install eGalax drivers

then create a touchrotate script, if youve already got one either create a new script or overwrite the old one.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

if [ $# -eq 1 ];
    then OUTPUT=auto
         ROTATION=$1
    elif [ $# -eq 3 ];
    then OUTPUT=$1
         ROTATION=$3
    else echo "Usage: touchrotate [output inputdevice] left|right|inverted|normal|toleft|toright|topdown|current"
         exit 1
    fi

if [ $OUTPUT = auto ];
    then LV=$(xrandr|grep -i 'LVDS')
         OUTPUT=$(echo $LV | sed 's/ connected.*//')
    fi

ORIGROTATION="$ROTATION"

case $ROTATION in
        toleft|toright|topdown|current)
           XR=$(xrandr)
           if echo $XR | grep -q "$OUTPUT connected [^ ]* left";
           then
               case $ROTATION in
                    toleft) ROTATION=inverted ;; 
                    toright) ROTATION=normal ;; 
                    topdown) ROTATION=right ;; 
    		current) ROTATION=left ;;
               esac
           elif echo $XR | grep -q "$OUTPUT connected [^ ]* right";
           then
               case $ROTATION in
                    toleft) ROTATION=normal ;; 
                    toright) ROTATION=inverted ;; 
                    topdown) ROTATION=left ;; 
    		current) ROTATION=right ;;
               esac
           elif echo $XR | grep -q "$OUTPUT connected [^ ]* inverted";
           then
               case $ROTATION in
                    toleft) ROTATION=right ;; 
                    toright) ROTATION=left ;; 
                    topdown) ROTATION=normal ;; 
    		current) ROTATION=inverted ;;
               esac
           else
               case $ROTATION in
                    toleft) ROTATION=left ;; 
                    toright) ROTATION=right ;; 
                    topdown) ROTATION=inverted ;; 
    		current) ROTATION=normal ;;
               esac
           fi
    esac

case $ROTATION in
        normal) sed "s/Orientation\t\t\t[0-9].*/Orientation\t\t\t0/g" /etc/eGTouchL.ini.bak > /etc/eGTouchL.ini;/usr/bin/eGTouchD -f;;
        left) sed "s/Orientation\t\t\t[0-9].*/Orientation\t\t\t1/g" /etc/eGTouchL.ini.bak > /etc/eGTouchL.ini;/usr/bin/eGTouchD -f;;
        inverted) sed "s/Orientation\t\t\t[0-9].*/Orientation\t\t\t2/g" /etc/eGTouchL.ini.bak > /etc/eGTouchL.ini;/usr/bin/eGTouchD -f;;
        right) sed "s/Orientation\t\t\t[0-9].*/Orientation\t\t\t3/g" /etc/eGTouchL.ini.bak > /etc/eGTouchL.ini;/usr/bin/eGTouchD -f;;
        *) echo "Unknown option"; exit 1;;
    esac

if [ $ORIGROTATION != current ];
    then
           xrandr --output $OUTPUT --rotate $ROTATION
    fi
    mine is in /usr/bin/touchrotate, you can have it elsewhere, just know where it is.

setup the rest, my user is updatelee, edit to reflect your system

sudo cp /etc/eGTouchL.ini /etc/eGTouchL.ini.bak
    sudo chown updatelee.updatelee /etc/eGTouchL.ini*
    sudo chmod u+s /usr/bin/eGTouchD

now assign your rotate button to /usr/bin/touchrotate and you'll be good to go. settings->keyboard->application shortcuts->add

UDL

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by updatelee View Post
    Ok, didnt see this posted elsewhere on here so I'll do it, hopefully it hasnt already been covered.

Got the touchscreen working when the screen is rotated.

First install eGalax drivers

then create a touchrotate script, if youve already got one either create a new script or overwrite the old one.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

if [ $# -eq 1 ];
    then OUTPUT=auto
         ROTATION=$1
    elif [ $# -eq 3 ];
    then OUTPUT=$1
         ROTATION=$3
    else echo "Usage: touchrotate [output inputdevice] left|right|inverted|normal|toleft|toright|topdown|current"
         exit 1
    fi

if [ $OUTPUT = auto ];
    then LV=$(xrandr|grep -i 'LVDS')
         OUTPUT=$(echo $LV | sed 's/ connected.*//')
    fi

ORIGROTATION="$ROTATION"

case $ROTATION in
        toleft|toright|topdown|current)
           XR=$(xrandr)
           if echo $XR | grep -q "$OUTPUT connected [^ ]* left";
           then
               case $ROTATION in
                    toleft) ROTATION=inverted ;; 
                    toright) ROTATION=normal ;; 
                    topdown) ROTATION=right ;; 
    		current) ROTATION=left ;;
               esac
           elif echo $XR | grep -q "$OUTPUT connected [^ ]* right";
           then
               case $ROTATION in
                    toleft) ROTATION=normal ;; 
                    toright) ROTATION=inverted ;; 
                    topdown) ROTATION=left ;; 
    		current) ROTATION=right ;;
               esac
           elif echo $XR | grep -q "$OUTPUT connected [^ ]* inverted";
           then
               case $ROTATION in
                    toleft) ROTATION=right ;; 
                    toright) ROTATION=left ;; 
                    topdown) ROTATION=normal ;; 
    		current) ROTATION=inverted ;;
               esac
           else
               case $ROTATION in
                    toleft) ROTATION=left ;; 
                    toright) ROTATION=right ;; 
                    topdown) ROTATION=inverted ;; 
    		current) ROTATION=normal ;;
               esac
           fi
    esac

case $ROTATION in
        normal) sed "s/Orientation\t\t\t[0-9].*/Orientation\t\t\t0/g" /etc/eGTouchL.ini.bak > /etc/eGTouchL.ini;/usr/bin/eGTouchD -f;;
        left) sed "s/Orientation\t\t\t[0-9].*/Orientation\t\t\t1/g" /etc/eGTouchL.ini.bak > /etc/eGTouchL.ini;/usr/bin/eGTouchD -f;;
        inverted) sed "s/Orientation\t\t\t[0-9].*/Orientation\t\t\t2/g" /etc/eGTouchL.ini.bak > /etc/eGTouchL.ini;/usr/bin/eGTouchD -f;;
        right) sed "s/Orientation\t\t\t[0-9].*/Orientation\t\t\t3/g" /etc/eGTouchL.ini.bak > /etc/eGTouchL.ini;/usr/bin/eGTouchD -f;;
        *) echo "Unknown option"; exit 1;;
    esac

if [ $ORIGROTATION != current ];
    then
           xrandr --output $OUTPUT --rotate $ROTATION
    fi
    mine is in /usr/bin/touchrotate, you can have it elsewhere, just know where it is.

setup the rest, my user is updatelee, edit to reflect your system

sudo cp /etc/eGTouchL.ini /etc/eGTouchL.ini.bak
    sudo chown updatelee.updatelee /etc/eGTouchL.ini*
    sudo chmod u+s /usr/bin/eGTouchD

now assign your rotate button to /usr/bin/touchrotate and you'll be good to go. settings->keyboard->application shortcuts->add

UDL
    Wonderful. Good work, I will test this within the next few days.

Issues in my mind:
    • battery life (have experienced slowdown since 12.04)
    • touchscreen failing after computer is closed (suspended)
    • interface refinements, programs that help make the screen more useful

Heh, our thread sure has slowed down hasn't it. A month is a long time to wait for a reply.

EDIT: Weird thing I have just discovered

hid-egalax was merged into hid-multitouch
    rmmod hid-multitouch actually works, and kills the touch screen
    modprobe hid-multitouch works according to lsmod, but the touchscreen does not actually work again

Relevant discussions:
    http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp...droid.x86/8634
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...86/2V03xG5CAko
    https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/1780911/

I am not one to make sense of this. Can an experienced person please take a look?
    Last edited by mrspacklecrisp; February 4th, 2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: New info

Page 110 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 LastLast