Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can not upgrade to 13.10

Beans

Re: Can not upgrade to 13.10

Are any of the ppa's providing packages that are higher than those in 13.10? (like nvidia, ect

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Are any of the ppa's providing packages that are higher than those in 13.10? (like nvidia, ect
    Sorry I do not quite understand what you mean by that, if you are asking me the version of the software for example nvidia drivers, then yes I am using nvidias beta 325 drivers which I can not select from default drivers menu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chelidze View Post
    Sorry I do not quite understand what you mean by that, if you are asking me the version of the software for example nvidia drivers, then yes I am using nvidias beta 325 drivers which I can not select from default drivers menu
    Yes, that's what I mean
    Maybe start by removing all the nvidia packages you have from that ppa & go back to nouveau.
    Possibly the same for gimp if the ppa packages are higher than what is in 13.10

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Yes, that's what I mean
    Maybe start by removing all the nvidia packages you have from that ppa & go back to nouveau.
    Possibly the same for gimp if the ppa packages are higher than what is in 13.10
    To be honest I done upgrades from 13.04 to 13.10 before the final beta with a lot more ppa's and this nvidia driver So I struggle to believe that that will work. if nothing will come out I will weight for the release and then will do a clean reinstall

Beans

This is possibly a rather stupid idea, but if your sources are still set at Raring it would be interesting to see what happens if you run:

Code:
    update-manager -d -c
    I only mention that because the 'release-upgrader' packages were recently updated and the added "-c" should get you to the latest "release-upgrader".

But if things blow up don't be too surprised. There are lots of bugs in Saucy right now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I still think he should burn a daily build iso and use the upgrade option on the installer...i don't think he would have much to lose and it might just work...i think the upgrade is done in a different manner on the iso then it is when you do it on the software updater...(a better way, i think)...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I still think he should burn a daily build iso and use the upgrade option on the installer...i don't think he would have much to lose and it might just work...i think the upgrade is done in a different manner on the iso then it is when you do it on the software updater...(a better way, i think)...
    I don't disagree with that

I always include the upgrade (image) tests in my iso testing:

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/testcases/1498/info

It's a truly decent process and much faster than using the 'release-upgrader'. I'll grant you that apps not available from the standard repos must be manually reinstalled but it's still a much cleaner upgrade method.

But both upgrade methods must be tested prior to release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@kansasnoob: absolutely! could not agree more
    In fact, the ONLY apps that did not carry over for me was google chrome and mscorefonts (well actually mscorefonts is in the repos but it does have a license agreement as does chrome)....
    All other apps i had installed (from ubuntu software center) were brought over with no problem....including every last piece of data i had (music, photos, videos, documents)...

watching the install, it was almost as if i was doing a clean install, you get the standard slide show...have to pick your log in and time zone just like a clean install and if you didn't look at the technical things going on underneath, you would not even know you were doing an upgrade at all...

time wise, i know usually a clean install takes around 20 minutes....the upgrade from the iso image took about 25 minutes...super fast!
    i was totally amazed...and this is why i can't understand the often stubborn attitude i see here about people trying that method...they seem to think that the software updater upgrade method is the superior way to go...based on my experience, i have some reason to doubt that...

a friend of mine also used this method and it went just as well for him as it did for me...
    Last edited by craig10x; October 10th, 2013 at 06:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    This is possibly a rather stupid idea, but if your sources are still set at Raring it would be interesting to see what happens if you run:

Code:
    update-manager -d -c
    I only mention that because the 'release-upgrader' packages were recently updated and the added "-c" should get you to the latest "release-upgrader".

But if things blow up don't be too surprised. There are lots of bugs in Saucy right now.
    Sadly did not work

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I understand that but I wanted to upgrade to ubuntu 13.10 BETA version like that but when 13.10 will be released I will do a clean reinstall

Quote Originally Posted by Ringi View Post
    Sadly did not work don't have ia32-libs at all

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast