Thread: Display goes blank after grub!

Beans

Exclamation Display goes blank after grub!

Hi,

Ubuntu : 11.10 64-bit
    I have ubuntu in dual boot with win 8. The following problem is intermittent.

After selecting ubuntu in the grub screen, a purple screen comes and after 2-3 seconds the display goes blank (where it should prompt for password).
    So (after it happened 2-3 times), I just entered my password and surprisingly ubuntu music sounded and I was booted into it but the display was still showing nothing.

I don't know whether this is a problem with dual booting or with ubuntu itself. There is no problem when I boot into win 8.
    Note : Sometimes the display works just fine (as I said earlier the problem is intermittent). It's pretty irritating.

Thanx
    -Sahil

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Display goes blank after grub!

If it boots at all, then grub is ok. Have you checked log files? ~home/.xsession-errors, also /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Mabe even dmesg output

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    If it boots at all, then grub is ok. Have you checked log files? ~home/.xsession-errors, also /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Mabe even dmesg output
    Thanks for the reply
    I'll check the log files later as I don't have that system right now....

But one thing that I don't undersatand is "why is this problem intermittent?"
    Either it should happen all the time or not happen at all.

Please Clarify on this if you have any ideas.
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sahilh14 View Post
    Thanks for the reply
    I'll check the log files later as I don't have that system right now....

But one thing that I don't undersatand is "why is this problem intermittent?"
    Either it should happen all the time or not happen at all.

Please Clarify on this if you have any ideas.
    Thanks
    I just noticed you have windows 8. That means UEFI. There instructions on booting Windows 8 with Ubuntu on this forum.
    Can you download boot-info-script (see my blue link below), run it using root, then copy&paste the RESULTS.txt file back here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    I just noticed you have windows 8. That means UEFI. There instructions on booting Windows 8 with Ubuntu on this forum.
    Can you download boot-info-script (see my blue link below), run it using root, then copy&paste the RESULTS.txt file back here.
    Thanks for the reply

It seems that the display is gone permanently now. Yesterday, I tried to boot ubuntu 3-4 times but the display showed nothing every time. So running your script is out of picture.
    I'll try it today also and if it doesn't work I'll replace it with 12.04 or 12.10.
    I'll keep u posted.

Thanks a lot!!