View Poll Results: Was this HowTo helpful?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 84.51%
  • No

46 15.49%
Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Your procedure worked fine for a network attached MFC-425CN on Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid).
    The installation assumed it was USB connected, but a visit to the CUPS admin page (http://localhost:631) ->Manage Printers -> Modify Printer resolved the problem.
    It discovered the networked printer and I just had to click on it.

Thank you for a detailed and accurate How To. Excellent.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Hey guys (and gals). Here's a weird one:

I cannot get my Brother MFC-6665CW to print, but it scans beautifully.

I recently reinstalled Ubuntu 11.10 x64 on my desktop (coming from 10.04, I figured a clean reinstall would be best), and the first thing I did was get my printer/scanner to work.

I'm an intermediate user, and I breezed through the install for the printer. I set it up as a network printer since I plan on physically moving it in the near future. In the end I even printed a test page- successfully. No sweat.
    Got through the scanner part, and after a couple of minutes I got that to work too, so I figured "GREAT SUCCESS!".

Yesterday, I went to print, so I selected the printer, it showed up, and even sent the job to spool, then it just completed...yet nothing printed. Its like the printer never got the instructions. I can still scan, but after countless failed attempts to print, reinstall drivers, use USB, wired, wirless, LDP, AppSocket, nothing works. I truly am stumped.

I tried setting the device uri to
    dnssd://Brother%20MFC-665CW._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/ (done automatically when I select AppSocket/JetDirect)
    dnssd://Brother%20MFC-665CW._printer._tcp.local/ (done automatically when I select LDP network printer)
    usb://Brother/MFC-665CW?serial=BROD7F118271 (done automatically when I select USB)
    ldp://192.168.0.165/binary_p1 (manual entry using assigend IP by DHCP)

I tried uninstalling the drivers (in my case the 'brother-lpr-driversbh7' and 'brother-cups-wrapper-bh7), reinstalling, purging, installing again from the brother site; all to no success. If anyone can give me some advice as to what else I can try, save for reinstalling ubuntu.

I'm not sure where to take it from here. So, thanks in advance.

Oh, I almost forgot, whenever it "completes" print jobs, it keeps complaining that I'm completely out of ink, yet my ink levels are satisfactory. Weird.

Again, thanks.

Beans
    Distro

bump?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crazyness003 View Post
    ldp://192.168.0.165/binary_p1 (manual entry using assigend IP by DHCP)
    I just want to make sure... this was just a typo in your post, right? Because, the line should be:

lpd://192.168.0.165/BINARY_P1

(Note the transposed second and third letters.)

That's the address format my MFC-5460CN has been working successfully with for the past 3+ years, it should work for yours as well.

(BTW: I don't believe the capitalization on "BINARY_P1" makes any difference.)

Beans
    Distro

Good sir, I don't know who you are, or where you're from, but I believe you deserve a beverage of your choice*

You are oh so very correct.
    ldp does NOT work
    lpd on the other hand, DOES.

Its these simple mistakes that make me wanna punch myself in the face sometimes.

You're a lifesaver. And I just noticed the 'Thanks' button is still missing. Because if it was present, I would have smashed my mouse pressing that thing (and I have a pretty bad-*** mouse)

*alcoholic beverages apply only if you are of the legal age in the locale you will be drinking said beverage.

Beans

Glad to hear you got it worked out!

The acronym thing is definitely an annoyance, you're not at all alone in that. I agree — ldp, lpd, lbj, who can keep the alphabet soup straight?

That kind of thing is why I'm a big proponent of learning the expansions for acronyms, even if (especially if!) they're "irrelevant" or "outdated". I just find it easier to remember phrases than jumbles of letters.

No, it's definitely not relevant anymore that LPD stands for "Line Printer Daemon", and certainly nobody will ever "need" to know that. But once you do, you'll never misspell "LPD".

By the same token, I could never remember how to spell PCMCIA, until I learned what it stands for. Which is, of course, "People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms".

(Hey, I never said it was necessary to know the correct expansion! That's the nice thing. Any phrase that fits will work just as well. Truth is, I'm not sure what PCMCIA properly stands for. Some string of generic near-meaningless buzzwords, no doubt. "Personal Computer Memory Card Interface Attachment"?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

sooooooo.....

brothers mfc210c not working under 11.10?????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Just reinstalling this for 12.04 and I'm not sure if it's 12.04 or the recently updated Brother scan key tool/scanner driver (updated about a month ago) but these handy little scripts are gone.

Not the end of the world I suppose but it's a little annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraoch View Post
    I stumbled upon this post which improved the fax usage for my MFC:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...76&postcount=8

Also I played around with the scripts that get executed when the machine keys are pressed to be a bit more useful to me. Note this is newbie stuff because I'm a newbie, so don't expect anything dramatic.

First, the script at /usr/local/Brother/sane/script/scantofile-0.2.1-3.sh (the version numbers at the end of your script may be different). This controls what happens when you select Scan to File on the machine. By default, it scanned at 100 dpi in an unusual .PPM format and left the file in /home/[your user name]/brscan.

I changed it to 200 dpi because I always scale it down in another program - it's easy to scale down images, but impossible to scale up if you don't have enough detail. Plus a 200 dpi full-page scan is still manageable across a wireless network, it's a little over 10 MB and takes about 10 seconds to transmit using "g" wireless networking. I changed the file format to TIFF - I don't know much about .PPM and it could be compressed, I want the raw scan and I'll save it in the format of my choice. Finally I always look at a scan in a graphics editor because it almost always needs to be cropped, at the very least, so I want to start GIMP automatically with this file loaded after the scan completes.

My modified script looks like this:

Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    set +o noclobber
    #
    #   $1 = scanner device
    #   $2 = friendly name
    #

#   
    #       100,200,300,400,600
    #
    resolution=200
    device=$1
    mkdir -p ~/brscan
    if [ "`which usleep`" != '' ];then
        usleep 10000
    else
        sleep  0.01
    fi
    output_file=`mktemp ~/brscan/brscan.XXXXXX`
    chmod 644 $output_file
    echo "scan from $2($device) to $output_file"
    scanimage --device-name "$device" --format=tiff --resolution $resolution> $output_file
    echo gimp $output_file \;rm -f $output_file | sh &
    To edit your script, use

Code:
    gksudo gedit /usr/local/Brother/sane/script/scantofile-0.2.1-3.sh
    , modifying the version number as necessary, and either overwrite the existing script with this one or change the number after "resolution" and the last two lines.

Other niceties which you might want but which I kept - change the location the files are sent to (change the "mkdir -p ~/brscan" line) and don't delete the initial raw scan after editing (remove "\;rm -f $output_file" at the end).

Next, /usr/local/Brother/sane/script/scantoimage-0.2.1-3.sh. This one already called GIMP but I changed the resolution and file format:

Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    set +o noclobber
    #
    #   $1 = scanner device
    #   $2 = friendly name
    #

#   
    #
    resolution=200
    device=$1
    mkdir -p ~/brscan
        usleep 10000
    else
        sleep  0.01
    fi
    scanimage --device-name "$device" --format=tiff --resolution $resolution> $output_file
    echo gimp $output_file \;rm -f $output_file | sh &
    Finally, /usr/local/Brother/sane/script/scantoocr-0.2.1-3.sh. Turns out this one doesn't work by default at all - there were two lines at the end of the script which were supposed to say that OCR is not supported and then delete the scan. This can be rectified by installing two packages, tesseract-ocr (probably the most accurate command-line OCR engine) and OCRFeeder, a GUI for command-line OCR engines. To install these packages:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install tesseract-ocr ocrfeeder
    Then the OCR script can be modified to send the scanned file to OCRFeeder, at 200 dpi and in TIFF:

Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    set +o noclobber
    #
    #   $1 = scanner device
    #   $2 = friendly name
    #

#   
    #
    resolution=200
    device=$1
    mkdir -p ~/brscan
        usleep 10000
    else
        sleep  0.01
    fi
    echo ocrfeeder --images $output_file \;rm -f $output_file | sh &
    I may work on this one a little bit, the images you send to OCR need to meet certain requirements (1-bit black & white, etc), but this will only send colour scans to OCRFeeder even if you press the "Black" scan button - the program which detects the button press doesn't seem to differentiate between the two scan buttons. It might be possible to format the image correctly using the options for "scanimage".

Hope this helps!

Beans

One of the tasks I hate most is installing my Brother printer. So I decided to do some shell hacking to automate this task. Wanted to lean more about the "sed" command anyway. Here's my little automated printer installation script.

Please note: enter the model name of your printer in lowercase and remove the minus. Example: DCP7010 becomes dcp7010
    Example 2: DCP-540CN becaomse dcp540cn.

Save the code below as "printer.sh"
    roel@roel-desktop:/tmp$ chmod +x printer.sh roel@roel-desktop:/tmp$ ./printer.sh

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    echo "What is your printer model?"
    echo "Find your printer model here..."
    echo "http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html"
    echo "Example: If your printer model is a DCP585-CW, enter dcp585cw here:"
    read PRINTER_MODEL
    PRINTER_URL="http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html"
    PRINTER_RGX='s/\(.*\)\('${PRINTER_MODEL}'\(lpr\|cupswrapper\)-.*deb\)\(.*\)/\2/p'
    declare -a PRINTER_DEBS=(`wget -qO- ${PRINTER_URL} |sed -n -e $PRINTER_RGX`)
    echo "creating /var/spool/lpd"
    sudo mkdir /var/spool/lpd
    echo "Downloading and Installing: " ${PRINTER_DEBS[@]}
    for deb in "${PRINTER_DEBS[@]}"
    do
            PRINTER_DL_URL="http://www.brother.com/pub/bsc/linux/dlf/dcp585cwlpr-1.1.2-2.i386.deb?"${deb}
            echo ${PRINTER_DL_URL}
            wget ${PRINTER_DL_URL} -O /tmp/${deb}
            sudo dpkg  -i --force-all /tmp/${deb}
    done
    echo "See if it's listed here..."
    sudo dpkg  -l  |  grep  Brother
    Enjoy! Let me know if it works or fails.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: HOWTO: Gutsy 7.10 All Brother Printer Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Thanks so much for creating this useful thread.
    The scanner instruction did not work for me and I wish to troubleshoot with this reply.
    I am on Ubuntu 12.04, and I have a Brother 130C printer-scanner-in-one.
    I have previously managed to get the printer function to work.

I have a problem following "step 6" of the scanner instruction.
    My computer does not have the file "/etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules"
    Rather, the directory contains 2 similarly named files, which are:
    70-persistent-cd.rules 70-persistent-net.rules

Since I could not have followed step 6 with the missing file, I tried to improvise this step by doing the following:

In the first attempt, I create the file "/etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules" with the following content
    # Brother DCP-130C
    SYSFS{idVendor}=="04f9", SYSFS{idProduct}=="01a8", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner"
    LABEL="libsane_rules_end"
    where '04f9' and '01a8' are the 'VendorID' and 'ProductID' of my Brother130C

In the second attempt, I appended the above lines except the "LABEL=..." part to the file "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules"

In both attempts, I re-booted my machine afterwards and opened xsane, but xsane reported the following error message:
    Failed to open device 'brother2:bus1;dev1': Invalid argument.

Any thoughts? Any help or comment will be much appreciated!

Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast