Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [HOWTO] Install NVIDIA drivers manually on Lynx

Beans

Re: [HOWTO] Install NVIDIA drivers manually on Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by coolcaseley67 View Post
    hi

I am still geting errors saying i can not open it !

any thoughts
    At what point are you getting these errors?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Exclamation Re: [HOWTO] Install NVIDIA drivers manually on Lynx

hi

well I break the ubuntu and then go in to the log-in Terminal , see my other post for the error .

many thnks
    Linux may be small but it is powerful ....
    My online blog http://joeslifewithubuntu.blogspot.com/
    (One man's Journey in Ubuntu and Linux: with Daily news,Daily Comment & helpful stuff for users of Ubuntu.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,

I am also having tons of trouble with my Nvidia GT240. I followed "trespuntos" method but wasn't able to get back into the terminal on the last step...

I get a screen with this...
    Ubuntu 10.04
    . . . . * Speech-dispatcher configured for use[ OK ]i
    ons
    * PulseAudio configured for per-user sessionsupsd
    *Enabling additional executable binary formats binfmt
    -support [ OK ]
    *Checking battery state... [ OK ]

I can type but otherwise it is stuck. The upside is that this process got my monitor to have the correct resolution but I'm still not using the nvidia driver.

Thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have an 8400M-GS (dell XPS M1330)

Following the procedure "blacklist + remove nouveau + update initrd + install nvdidia-current" I finally got it work.

BUT

now I have the fan at full speed for all the time and the gpu thermal indicator stuck to 56 degrees (celsius)!!

No problem with the nouveau drivers!

What's going on here?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robegue View Post
    I have an 8400M-GS (dell XPS M1330)

Following the procedure "blacklist + remove nouveau + update initrd + install nvdidia-current" I finally got it work.

BUT

now I have the fan at full speed for all the time and the gpu thermal indicator stuck to 56 degrees (celsius)!!

No problem with the nouveau drivers!

What's going on here?
    Have you tried installing drivers from Synaptic? Do they work ok? If yes, than i would recommend to stay with them and not to try installing drivers manually, or at least wait until next driver version comes out.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBoy_LV View Post
    Have you tried installing drivers from Synaptic? Do they work ok? If yes, than i would recommend to stay with them and not to try installing drivers manually, or at least wait until next driver version comes out.
    Have you red my post?
    Considering that the nvidia proprietary drivers overheat my laptop I believe they are not working well at all! I immediately switched back to nouveau drivers. Even if they are slow, I do not risk to melt the gpu:

nvidia -> 56 degrees
    nouveau -> 32 degrees

there's something wrong for sure

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robegue View Post
    Have you red my post?
    Considering that the nvidia proprietary drivers overheat my laptop I believe they are not working well at all! I immediately switched back to nouveau drivers. Even if they are slow, I do not risk to melt the gpu:

nvidia -> 56 degrees
    nouveau -> 32 degrees

there's something wrong for sure
    If the newest Nvidia driver version works like that, it doesn`t mean all versions will overheat your card. I would recommend to try the next version when it comes out. It`s not like it will melt down your GPU in one second, you will always have a chance to rollback to nouveau

Also, i have an 8600M GT and its average temperature is 59-60 Degrees with up to 75 degrees when watching Flash videos or playing Flash games And it has always been that way, since the first day i installed Linux on my laptop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I got nvidia drivers installed on two laptops here, one a Lenovo and the other a VAIO and there is absolutely no overheating here.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, Im pushing an NVidia 9600 GTS and the whole thing still goes ape.. so much for limited affected cards and resolutions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBoy_LV View Post
    Well, i am one of those users who never install Nvidia drivers from repository, but manually - by downloading from Nvidia`s website. It was never a pain in the rear on previous Linux distros (including Karmic), but i failed to do so on Lynx. Whenever i tried to install it, i got an error:
    Code:
    ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'.  This happens most
           frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or
           improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs
           from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as
           rivafb/nvidiafb is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from
           obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s), or NVIDIA GPU
           installed in this system is not supported by this NVIDIA Linux graphics
           driver release.
    I read somewhere that they changed the way nvidia drivers get installed on Lynx (correct me if i`m wrong), so it took me some time to figure out how to do that. So, here is the guide:

1) Download Newest Nvidia drivers from their website
    2) Open module blacklist as admin: (i use gedit for text file editing)
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    3) Add these lines and save:
    Code:
    blacklist vga16fb
    blacklist nouveau
    blacklist rivafb
    blacklist nvidiafb
    blacklist rivatv
    4) Uninstall any previously installed Nvidia drivers:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-*
    5) Reboot your computer
    6) When an error message pops up saying that Ubuntu cannot load Nvidia drivers, choose Exit to terminal (Exit to console)
    7) Login and cd to the directory where you saved your file
    8) Install drivers
    Code:
    sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-195.36.24-pkg2.run
    9) Start GDM
    Code:
    sudo service gdm start
    Enjoy

P.S. if you are having trouble with my method, there is an updated one, posted by trespuntos - maybe it will solve your problem.
    I did the following commands and i was having an issue with Ubuntu still loading into the x server. I tried several ways to stop gdm. sudo service gdm stop and sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop without luck. It seemed that something was not being blocked from the blacklist.

I went into the software manager ~> installed software and typed nvidia into the search bar. I then removed everything from there. I restarted to a low resolution window and stopped gdm again. I then installed the driver and so far have not had any problems.

Hope this helps anyone looking around for a way to install the latest driver and had similar issues. I kinda hope myself that it works out to be a lasting fix haha!

fowl

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast