Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brazil blocks YouTube

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Brazil blocks YouTube

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/01/06...blocks_yo.html
    My access to YouTube has been blocked! I can't believe it! The only way to go there new is through a proxy server, which means a slower connection. I don't care about Daniela Cicarelli and her stupid sex video.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Brazil blocks YouTube

However, quite a few ISPs are, thankfully, not following the stupid block. Including mine.

This is a silly act of censorship from a judge which doesn't know what is Internet. I won't comment more on this, because the words would be obvious!

Beans

Actually, only BrasilTelecom ISP is blocking Youtube. But others ISPs may do it soon, as they also received the court order.
    The judge that ordered the block said he want to block only the videos about Cicarelli, not Youtube at all. This is strange, people are saying that the order is not well interpreted by the ISPs. Surely this mistake will make things go in the worst way. Soon lawyers all around the country will make money with this decision, as it is completely unconstitutional, censor is not allowed in any way.
    But, as I usually say, you first obey the court order, then ask why.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Oh Brasil, you are dead to me now.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by onon_onon View Post
    Actually, only BrasilTelecom ISP is blocking Youtube. But others ISPs may do it soon, as they also received the court order.
    Telefonica is already blocking YouTube.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrorball View Post
    http://www.boingboing.net/2007/01/06...blocks_yo.html
    My access to YouTube has been blocked! I can't believe it! The only way to go there new is through a proxy server, which means a slower connection. I don't care about Daniela Cicarelli and her stupid sex video.
    Why didn't they remove the video as everyone does?

EDIT: Found on wikipedia:

, a sex video shot by paparazzo Miguel Temprano was broadcast on the TV show Dolce Vita on spanish channel Telecinco, showing Daniela on a beach in Spain petting with her boyfriend, Merrill Lynch employee Renato "Tato" Malzoni and later having sex with him in the water.[1] The next day an edited version of the paparazzi scenes from the show was uploaded as a video clip to YouTube, but deleted that same day. Even after the deletion the video was still available on various internet websites. Newspapers reported that computer networks crashed at stock markets in Brazil after many users tried to send and download the video. On September 27, Malzoni and Cicarelli were granted an injunction by Sao Paulo state supreme court against YouTube, Globo.com and IG.[2] However despite YouTube's efforts to withdraw the clip it continued to appear on the site under varying file names, so Cicarelli sued again in December 2006. In January 2007, the Supreme Court ordered YouTube to find a way to permanently block the video from being uploaded on its servers, to shut down their site until such a block can be realized, or to face an order imposed upon Brazilian Internet service providers to block access to YouTube.[3] Brasil Telecom has since implemented such a block, leaving YouTube inaccessible in part of Brazil. Links to the video on sites other than YouTube have turned up all over the Internet and news groups.
    Last edited by raul_; January 9th, 2007 at 05:52 AM.
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by raul_ View Post
    Why didn't they remove the video as everyone does?
    Apparently everytime they remove the video, someone posts it again. But You Tube isn't the only site where you can watch the video, it's just the most popular. Everyone that wanted to see the video has already seen it, because it was released months ago.

Beans

Apparently everytime they remove the video, someone posts it again. But You Tube isn't the only site where you can watch the video, it's just the most popular. Everyone that wanted to see the video has already seen it, because it was released months ago.
    Looks like we have a pron expert int he house jk

That's crazy a whole country blocking a website.... http://www.torrify.com/ has a modified version of firefox that uses proxies. You should always be careful what data you post to sites when using a proxy though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hey, if they realy want to deny access to the video, why don't they shut all internet off? That would be the only way!...

Beans

I don't think Youtube cares though...maybe i'm wrong
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast