Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] rEFIt and Ubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: [SOLVED] rEFIt and Ubuntu 8.10

I didn't use bootcamp at all, I don't think it's necessary. I did a fresh install of Tiger and told the installer to create a 20GB partition for it. After it finished, I downloaded and installed refit, then used the package it came in to create a refit cd (the instructions are found here) Then I installed Ibex on the remaining hard disk space. Once that was done I just booted from the refit cd, used the partition tools to sync the partitions and both OS X and Ibex are happily coexisting on my machine!

Yes, install GRUB to (hd0) aka, where it would natually put it. That's what worked for me, at least.
    Macbook 2,1 2.16 Core 2 Duo / 2Gb Ram / 120Gb HDD: Ubuntu Studio 9.04 64 Bit/ Mac OS X 10.4.11

Registered Linux User # 449355 / Registered Ubuntu User # 16921

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Rog-Mahal View Post
    I didn't use bootcamp at all, I don't think it's necessary.
    It isn't. Most directions say to use BootCamp only because most people have an existing OSX install that they do not want to mess up.

Yes, install GRUB to (hd0) aka, where it would natually put it. That's what worked for me, at least.
    I would not do that. Install to the partition (/dev/sda3) if you can. Installing to the MBR (hd0) is what seems to be messing up the partitions in the first place.

Beans
    Distro

That's interesting. I followed the instructions on the Macbook community docs which told me to install it /dev/sda and that broke it as well.
    Macbook 2,1 2.16 Core 2 Duo / 2Gb Ram / 120Gb HDD: Ubuntu Studio 9.04 64 Bit/ Mac OS X 10.4.11

Registered Linux User # 449355 / Registered Ubuntu User # 16921

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That's interesting. I followed the instructions on the Macbook community docs which told me to install it /dev/sda and that broke it as well.
    darn and I thought we were getting somewhere...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    darn and I thought we were getting somewhere...
    I spent a day messing with this to reproduce the Flashing Folder, eventually crashing the whole thing and having to repartition (I expected that). There are multiple factors - the grub installation, the partitioner and flags, and then the variations in installation procedure. I took dumps of the mbr via firewire target mode and have not made much sense of it yet - not for any bugfix in the installer.
    I am running a pure gpt disk now and grub.efi, but the gui limitation is a nuisance.

The posts by billbear in this other thread are very relevant I think -
    How to bypass the 4-partitions limit?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=16

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pxwpxw View Post
    I spent a day messing with this to reproduce the Flashing Folder, eventually crashing the whole thing and having to repartition (I expected that). There are multiple factors - the grub installation, the partitioner and flags, and then the variations in installation procedure. I took dumps of the mbr via firewire target mode and have not made much sense of it yet - not for any bugfix in the installer.
    I am running a pure gpt disk now and grub.efi, but the gui limitation is a nuisance.

The posts by billbear in this other thread are very relevant I think -
    How to bypass the 4-partitions limit?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=16
    Yea I always thought it was a partitioner issue, but then gparted seems to work fine outside of the installer...

How is that relevant? All he is saying is to modify the MBR partition table directly to point to the sectors on the disc that you want them to. It is not so much a fix as it is a method of mapping of the 4 usable partitions in the table to whatever "real" partition you like.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    Yea I always thought it was a partitioner issue, but then gparted seems to work fine outside of the installer...

How is that relevant? All he is saying is to modify the MBR partition table directly to point to the sectors on the disc that you want them to. It is not so much a fix as it is a method of mapping of the 4 usable partitions in the table to whatever "real" partition you like.
    The installer uses parted not gparted I believe, I think there are some differences, sorry I cant be specific.

The relevance is to the effect of any interrference with the efi partition table entry.

e.g. I noted that the partitioner deafult uses the EFI partition and shows the bootflag. I dont see why it should touch it, accidents can happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12