Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Bash question: && vs ;

As the title states. When I started off in ubuntu I would run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    when I updated; as I got more comfortable with the terminal I found running
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get upgrade
    to be more convenient and quick as the ; key was "right there" without need for shift+7

My question now is is there any practical difference between the two, and if so what is it?
    I believe the second code after && only executes if the first gave a return status of 0, whereas using ; is just the same as executing one right after the other, correct? Meaning there is no difference between
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get upgrade
    and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    right?
    Technomancy
    The old ways are not the only ways. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner. Holographic daemons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Bash question: && vs ;

Yeah, you got it. With && the second command only executes if the first one is successful. You can also use
    Code:
    command || command
    but this only executes the second command if the first one fails.

See here for a good explanation

http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide...ndConditionals

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for the confirmation, and for the additional info; this will be a great help in debugging future bash scripts I write.

If I get your meaning right, I can write a script, for example, that does three things, and set it up like this

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    command1 || exit 1
    command2 || exit 2
    command3 || exit 3
    and by the exit code know which command did not work right, right?
    Technomancy
    The old ways are not the only ways. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner. Holographic daemons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ntzrmtthihu777 View Post
    Thank you for the confirmation, and for the additional info; this will be a great help in debugging future bash scripts I write.

If I get your meaning right, I can write a script, for example, that does three things, and set it up like this

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    command1 || exit 1
    command2 || exit 2
    command3 || exit 3
    and by the exit code know which command did not work right, right?
    Yes... and note that a command that returns 0 is "True", this can be strange sometimes

You can also use
    Code:
    command1 || { echo "Command 1 failed"; exit 1; }
    And no need to lookup what command rc=1 corresponds to (mind the spaces around the braces, and the final semicolon). Or even
    Code:
    ( command1 && echo "Command 1 worked" ) ||   { echo "Command 1 failed"; exit 1; }

Beans
    Distro

Ooo... very nice. I can't tell you how useful this would have been when I was writing my UTAU bash tool.
    Technomancy

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ofnuts View Post
    You can also use
    Code:
    command1 || { echo "Command 1 failed" >&2; exit 1; }
    Fixed.

Messages that shouldn't be parsed by default (user prompts, warnings and errors) should be redirected to stderr.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sisco311 View Post
    Fixed.

Messages that shouldn't be parsed by default (user prompts, warnings and errors) should be redirected to stderr.
    Exactly why, may I ask? I have done a few bash programs with prompts an never did that and they worked fine. I'm curious as to why.
    Technomancy

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ntzrmtthihu777 View Post
    Exactly why, may I ask? I have done a few bash programs with prompts an never did that and they worked fine. I'm curious as to why.
    The main reason is so that these messages don't interfere with using the program as part of a pipeline someday. It becomes important mainly when the script generating such messages is called inside a repeating loop, and usually works properly but sometimes fails. Directing the error messages to stderr keeps them from being passed on through the pipeline; instead they go to the console for viewing.

A more immediate reason is simply to create good habits, so that a script doesn't rise from the dead and bite you painfully in the nether regions, several years after you wrote it.
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro

Thank you. I understand "good practice" and try to practice it as much as possible, but I like to know exactly why its good practice. [Read: I don't want to do things just because someone tells me to, I wanna know why.]
    Technomancy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

imagine this scenario - you write a script which processes a file in a certain way - and outputs to stdout - including error messages.

later on you want to use your script in a pipeline :
    Code:
    grap foo.txt bah | myscript | sort >out.txt
    for example

In that example if your script sends error messages to stdout, any error messages will get sorted and stored in out.txt.

If your script always sends errors to stderr - as suggested, that pipeline will display the errors on screen - and they wont be sent to sort.

This behaviour is what all the current linux utilies do ; i.e. differentiate errors and output - it is the very reason that stdout and stderr exist and we are able to redirect them separately.
    Tony - Happy to try to help.
    Unless otherwise stated - all code posted by me is untested. Remember to Mark the Thread as Solved.
    Ubuntu user number # 24044 Projects : TimeWarp - on the fly Backups